2023 - Scholars is Back Online

Includes Forum Rules and Major Announcements. Post feedback, concerns, and forum issues. Moderation applications and public votes also take place here.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou
Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: 2023 - Scholars is Back Online

Unread post by Dong Zhou »

James wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:31 pm Reddit seems to have picked up a lot of the forum vibe?
That seems true. One can find a subreddit for probably everything there so people can find something if they are interested in something new. Moderation, at best, tends to be "stop hate" and not much further so would be on the lighter end of the forums moderation rather then the more control we have here and no "we already have that topic"
Deej
Initiate

Unread post by Deej »

Dong Zhou wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:02 am
James wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:31 pm Reddit seems to have picked up a lot of the forum vibe?
That seems true. One can find a subreddit for probably everything there so people can find something if they are interested in something new. Moderation, at best, tends to be "stop hate" and not much further so would be on the lighter end of the forums moderation rather then the more control we have here and no "we already have that topic"
One problem I have with Reddit though is that it skews towards the 'here and now'. Once a thread has been around for a couple of days it disappears, never to be seen again. Here there's more of a legacy created.
Daolun
Langzhong

Unread post by Daolun »

Deej wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:24 am
One problem I have with Reddit though is that it skews towards the 'here and now'. Once a thread has been around for a couple of days it disappears, never to be seen again. Here there's more of a legacy created.
The amount of times you'll see the same topic of "Was Liu Bei wrong for [x]" is extremely tiresome. Having these discussions preserved and featured here to guide someone to, and for someone to further add on is so much more superior than treading the same ground constantly.

Also having actual moderators helps.
以其言非吾言者,是猶以卵投石也,盡天下之卵,其石猶是也,不可毀也。
To refute my principle with one's own principle is like throwing an egg against a boulder. The eggs in the world would be exhausted without doing any harm to the boulder.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread post by Jia Nanfeng »

Sweet mother of the Northern Tortoise Xuanwu! We’re back! :shock:

Exciting to see so many old faces again. I know the Discord has been a thing, but I personally had trouble getting into the whole “talking with people in real time” stuff. I’m not very good at that. :wink:

The past couple years have indeed been a couple years. You could say they’ve been the most couple years of all time.

I would like to start posting regularly, if time allows me. I admittedly have fallen away from China studies since the forum disappeared. I still collected books and such, but I think the forum exploding was symbolic of my own interest exploding for a time. But funnily enough, I’ve been writing a biography over the past month about Jia Wu, so maybe this is a sign of my nerdiness returning.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread post by Sun Fin »

Jia! I was gonna send you a message letting you know it was back! So glad your hoping to be active again :D
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Daolun
Langzhong

Unread post by Daolun »

How rude. You never even thought to send me a message about it being back?! :rangry:
To refute my principle with one's own principle is like throwing an egg against a boulder. The eggs in the world would be exhausted without doing any harm to the boulder.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread post by Sun Fin »

Correct. I did not!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Daolun
Langzhong

Unread post by Daolun »

I hope your harvest is lackluster this year!
Stallion Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread post by Stallion Fury »

Yess it's back! This place is such a big part of my childhood growing up, was so sad to see it had been down for a bit. Back to the glory days
Lorric
Master

Unread post by Lorric »

Deej wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:24 am
This.

There are stories that have been told here. Not the easiest to find buried in the ROTK threads hundreds of pages long, but I had been looking back through them not long before the place went down.

Forums just fit me the best. I've never been on any other social media.