Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.
User avatar
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
Posts: 11940
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:38 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread post by Kong Wen »

James wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:55 pm
Mikhail wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:11 pm I would honestly treat FF14 as a single player game over an MMO. I would say about 90% of the story content you could do by yourself and the game does well to match you with others when you need to group so you wouldn't really need to do any planning or pre-gaming coordination. And any story related group content (like dungeons or raids), even if you're bad at the game, can be easily bypassed because the majority of players can easily carry others through it. I basically played and beat all of the expansions as a solo player and I enjoyed my time immensely. Furthermore, there's very little in the way of FOMO or time-gated/weekly content that is required so you can generally take your time (subscription permitting of course). I would venture to say that a non-minority of FF14 players treat the game as a single player story game than a hardcore MMO.

Of course that isn't to say that there's nothing in the game if you wanted something hardcore or something you want to really dedicate yourself to. There are plenty of professions, collectibles, group content, transmogs, side quests, etc., that you can really sink your teeth into if that's what you want to do. But that's up to the player really. I find that in general, FF14 respects the player's time compared to other MMOs like WoW.
That doesn’t sound so bad. And really, that’s how I would probably end up playing it.
Nah, you would definitely pop on and play some dungeons/trials with good old Kong now and then too (as Mikhail should be doing at some point)! :D

To Mik's main point though, the general gameplay & progression doesn't really require parties. You only group up sometimes in dungeons. So the way I play it with my friend who is also currently playing for the first time is: we go our separate ways, enjoy the story and side-missions and exploring etc. on our own time, and when we come to a point in the story that we're supposed to fight an instanced dungeon or boss, we group up. It's a good system.

I come up just short of calling it a good single-player RPG though, because it really is designed with an MMO mindset, that is, a lot of filler and fetch quests to pad the main narrative out. So even when you're just blitzing through the story, you have to interact with the game in a less-than-engaging way. But of course it's all about expectations and what you want to get out of playing a game like this.
Chill with 100s of laid-back strategy/tactics gamers on Kong's Discord server
• This Old Neon Forums | • Best Game Ever Project | • Kongrisser on YouTube
User avatar
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Posts: 2000
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:23 pm

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread post by Bryan »

Kong Wen wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:00 pm Nah, you would definitely pop on and play some dungeons/trials with good old Kong now and then too (as Mikhail should be doing at some point)! :D
If this becomes a thing... I still owe Mik some playtime on it, and would re-sub if there was somewhat of a static grouping.
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
User avatar
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
Posts: 11940
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:38 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread post by Kong Wen »

Bryan wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:54 am
Kong Wen wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:00 pm Nah, you would definitely pop on and play some dungeons/trials with good old Kong now and then too (as Mikhail should be doing at some point)! :D
If this becomes a thing... I still owe Mik some playtime on it, and would re-sub if there was somewhat of a static grouping.
Well, you guys keep me posted. I suspect I'm WAY behind most FF14 players on account of 1) starting so recently, and 2) playing slowly/casually, so I may not be part of the most interesting static. Most of my play time involves puttering around doing single-player PvE, but when there's a dungeon or a trial to be found, it's basically me and Rob and two randos.

So if that's the kind of occasional static you're keen to jump into, just know that I probably have several years worth of catching up ahead of me. :D
Chill with 100s of laid-back strategy/tactics gamers on Kong's Discord server
• This Old Neon Forums | • Best Game Ever Project | • Kongrisser on YouTube
User avatar
Liu Yuante
绯红王
Posts: 2720
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 12:20 am
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread post by Liu Yuante »

James wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:15 pm I’ve never touched any of the MMORPG entires in the FF series. I think there is two? But I’ve also generally avoided all MMORPG games due to how involved they seem to become in terms of planning, time online, and time dedicated. It didn’t help that I literally knew two couples who went through divorces over WoW (for a probably obvious reason). I’m sure I’m missing out in a lot. But I am aware of that part of my brain that could get really... dedicated... to a game like this.
I have come to develop many of the same reservations about MMOs through experience - when I was in high school and college I played a MUD very intensely for several years, but because high school and college still leave plenty of free time (making it all the more ironic we're always so eager to move on to being an adult), I still was able to do other things. A bit later on, I played Guild Wars rather religiously for about three years, and then its sequel for many years off and on.

While I'm currently in a "partially on" state, playing GW2 4 nights/week, I hadn't played it in 4 years, largely because I came to appreciate games that actually ended. Great experience, good fun, good story, whatever but then it actually ends and you move on to something else. Not this endless treadmill of perpetual content. I think to a significant degree webforums had also come to be my social-interaction space online as opposed to multiplayer games, though I do currently run with a dedicated Guild.

Anyway, this is an FF thread so I should note that I actually picked up FF XIV on Steam a few months ago but haven't gotten past installing it yet. Maybe one day, when I'm in the retirement home and finally have time to play through my several hundred game backlog. :lol:
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven
Posts: 2645
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:15 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread post by Mikhail »

Kong Wen wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:47 am
Bryan wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:54 am
Kong Wen wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:00 pm Nah, you would definitely pop on and play some dungeons/trials with good old Kong now and then too (as Mikhail should be doing at some point)! :D
If this becomes a thing... I still owe Mik some playtime on it, and would re-sub if there was somewhat of a static grouping.
Well, you guys keep me posted. I suspect I'm WAY behind most FF14 players on account of 1) starting so recently, and 2) playing slowly/casually, so I may not be part of the most interesting static. Most of my play time involves puttering around doing single-player PvE, but when there's a dungeon or a trial to be found, it's basically me and Rob and two randos.

So if that's the kind of occasional static you're keen to jump into, just know that I probably have several years worth of catching up ahead of me. :D
Take your time.
It's a dream of mine to get a static in this game but I'm personally not outgoing enough to try to find a static of more hardcore players that are in the same level/progress I am in so you, Bryan, and Deej are my only options. I'm fine waiting even if it ends up not happening.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
User avatar
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou
Posts: 2000
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:23 pm

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread post by Bryan »

Kong Wen wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:47 am Well, you guys keep me posted. I suspect I'm WAY behind most FF14 players on account of 1) starting so recently, and 2) playing slowly/casually, so I may not be part of the most interesting static. Most of my play time involves puttering around doing single-player PvE, but when there's a dungeon or a trial to be found, it's basically me and Rob and two randos.

So if that's the kind of occasional static you're keen to jump into, just know that I probably have several years worth of catching up ahead of me. :D
It's cool, there's no way I have time to keep up with the Jones's when Mik has spare time. Think I made it into Shadowbringers before burning out?
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven
Posts: 2645
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:15 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread post by Mikhail »

Bryan wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:06 am
Kong Wen wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:47 am Well, you guys keep me posted. I suspect I'm WAY behind most FF14 players on account of 1) starting so recently, and 2) playing slowly/casually, so I may not be part of the most interesting static. Most of my play time involves puttering around doing single-player PvE, but when there's a dungeon or a trial to be found, it's basically me and Rob and two randos.

So if that's the kind of occasional static you're keen to jump into, just know that I probably have several years worth of catching up ahead of me. :D
It's cool, there's no way I have time to keep up with the Jones's when Mik has spare time. Think I made it into Shadowbringers before burning out?
I was honestly on the verge of burnout multiple times during 2-3 month run from Stormblood to the end of Endwalker but the fact that I was paying for the service kinda kept me on task. I really didn't want to pay another month just for the luxury of slowing down. And I also had some WoW commitments that were upcoming at the time and paying for two MMOs didn't sit well with me. Don't get me wrong, I was still having a lot of fun. It just felt like a lot at the time.

I definitely think taking your time is the best option here.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
User avatar
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
Posts: 11940
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:38 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread post by Kong Wen »

Mikhail wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:10 pm I definitely think taking your time is the best option here.
I agree 100%, especially considering it took me 6 months just to get from the start of Heavensward to the end of Heavensward. :pika:

This is not a game where I have any responsibility to do anything. Just login and chill for a couple hours with the homeboys. So yeah, there won't be any "keeping up" with me. Just a struggle to justify paying a subscription when the opportunities to actually play are so few and far between.
Chill with 100s of laid-back strategy/tactics gamers on Kong's Discord server
• This Old Neon Forums | • Best Game Ever Project | • Kongrisser on YouTube
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven
Posts: 2645
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:15 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread post by Mikhail »

Kong Wen wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:35 am
Mikhail wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:10 pm I definitely think taking your time is the best option here.
I agree 100%, especially considering it took me 6 months just to get from the start of Heavensward to the end of Heavensward. :pika:

This is not a game where I have any responsibility to do anything. Just login and chill for a couple hours with the homeboys. So yeah, there won't be any "keeping up" with me. Just a struggle to justify paying a subscription when the opportunities to actually play are so few and far between.
That's perfect. Enjoy the ride. That's kinda what I like about this game.
My plan is to re-sub within the next two weeks and maybe get a bunch more jobs to 90. I didn't get a lot of time in the Endwalker dungeons/raids and they were pretty amazing to witness so it'd be fun to see them again. Long term I want to re-do the MSQ because I had a lengthy hiatus between HW and SB that I forgot what happened with the dragons. Maybe I'll see you then Kong!

Currently playing FFVI Pixel Remaster right now. About 6 hours in and I'm enjoying what I'm playing. It's not very hard so far but that's a-ok with me as I'm currently preferring simplicity over complexity. I find that I'm using the auto-battle feature more often during the random battles and even most of the bosses since they've not required any sort of real interaction outside of just continually blitzing with Sabin or Rune-ing with Celes.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
User avatar
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
Posts: 11940
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:38 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread post by Kong Wen »

I found the pixel remasters to be notably easier than the original games (although it's not like FF6 was a particularly difficult entry).
Chill with 100s of laid-back strategy/tactics gamers on Kong's Discord server
• This Old Neon Forums | • Best Game Ever Project | • Kongrisser on YouTube
Post Reply