The Art of War

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

The Art of War

Unread postby animetayl » Sat Aug 17, 2002 3:36 am

I've been to a couple of bookstores, hoping to find this book. I've found them, but when I skim through them, they don't seem to be what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the most accurate translation of this book in it's closest form to the original. However, a lot of them are translated for modern usage. One of the editions just broke Sun Tzu's treatise into little paragraphs set on top of the pages and then the rest of the pages were devoted to the translator's explanation of them. :?
One of the sales personnel told me that a lot of chinese people who look for these books say that some of the translations are just horrible.
There is one translation by James Clavell. I've read one of his books (Shogun- based off of feudal Japan), and he is a fabulous writer. I'm thinking that maybe he did a decent job. I'll just have to wait until the store has them in stock to decide... (sigh).
Anyway, for anyone who has read this book, can you please give me the editions and translators, and tell me what you thought of it? I'm trying to research this in order to buy the right book. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
animetayl
Sky Bandit

Unread postby LittleConqueror » Sat Aug 17, 2002 4:29 am

I have the 1994 version translated by Ralph D. Sawyer, published by Barnes & Noble. It starts with about fifty pages of general historical background stuff, followed by about 80 or so pages in an introduction, which talks about varoius things. Then, it has the Art of War in translation, followed by the tomb texts and lost writings. Lastly, there are are notes, bibliography, glossary, etc. I enjoyed the book, as the art of war is translated well, and the background stuff is an interesting read if you're into that type of stuff. However, it's the only version I've read, so I can't compare it with others.
"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"
LittleConqueror
Scholar

Unread postby Phlegyas » Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:58 am

I have one original version of it and a version that consist of Zhuge Liang and Liu Ju's commentaries.
"Woe unto you, ye souls depraved
Hope nevermore to look upon the heavens;
I come to lead you to the other shore,
To the eternal shades in heat and frost.
And thou, that yonder standest, living soul,
Withdraw thee from these people, the dead"
Phlegyas
Langzhong

Location: The dark catacombs of my mind. Longing for love, but getting lost in the labyrinth.

Unread postby Wix The Great » Tue Aug 20, 2002 2:30 pm

Zu Mao wrote:I have one original version of it and a version that consist of Zhuge Liang and Liu Ju's commentaries.

Ya, that is Mastering the Art of War. I have that and a copy of the Art of War.
Wix The Great
3/3 of Wei World Order

Unread postby Chen Zhen » Wed Aug 21, 2002 1:06 am

i bought "mastering the art of war" only for one buck
"Study the past, if you would divine the future"
-Confucius-
"Ziggy played guitar,jamming good with Weird and Gilly and the spiders from Mars"
-David Robert Jones-
Chen Zhen
Student

Unread postby animetayl » Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:33 pm

Um, thank you for the replies. I was not, however, asking who has read it. I'm asking what editions you have read and your views on them. Thanks.
animetayl
Sky Bandit

Unread postby James » Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:17 pm

I have read many different version but I must say that my favorite of all is actually online. http://www.sonshi.com/

Not only do they have a wonderful online version, they also have great information about the book itself. You can also find translation reviews.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Wix The Great » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:21 am

Zhuge Kongming wrote:I have read many different version but I must say that my favorite of all is actually online. http://www.sonshi.com/

Not only do they have a wonderful online version, they also have great information about the book itself. You can also find translation reviews.

Wow, thanks for this site James. I never knew Machiavelli wrote his own ver. of The Art of War. I think I will read it and if I like it, buy it for further study.
Wix The Great
3/3 of Wei World Order

Unread postby Han Xin » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:44 am

Chen Zhen wrote:i bought "mastering the art of war" only for one buck

It probably only worth a buck... :wink:

Seriously, I haven't readed any evident which suggested that Mastering the Art of War was the work of the Great Zhuge Liang, it was never mentioned until the 14th century AD and all book written about Zhuge Liang prior never mention anything about it, book of stategies by Sun Wu, Sun Bin, and Wu Qi was very famost almost during their lifetime. So you could make up your own mind if Zhuge Liang was the author of such book or not, somehow I am not convince.
Han Xin's past-time - 沉湎於酒, 淫於聲色, 左手擁華姬,右手抱越女:lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Wix The Great » Mon Aug 26, 2002 10:00 pm

Han Xin wrote:
Chen Zhen wrote:i bought "mastering the art of war" only for one buck

It probably only worth a buck... :wink:

Seriously, I haven't readed any evident which suggested that Mastering the Art of War was the work of the Great Zhuge Liang, it was never mentioned until the 14th century AD and all book written about Zhuge Liang prior never mention anything about it, book of stategies by Sun Wu, Sun Bin, and Wu Qi was very famost almost during their lifetime. So you could make up your own mind if Zhuge Liang was the author of such book or not, somehow I am not convince.

I may have misunderstood you and if I have I am sorry. Zhuge Liang didn't write the book Mastering the Art of War but he wrote The Way of the General. I dunno if you actually meant he didn't write Mastering the Art of War or if you meant Way of the General. Tell me if I didn't understand you correctly.
Wix The Great
3/3 of Wei World Order

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy