Romance of the Three Kingdoms Playing Cards

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Romance of the Three Kingdoms Playing Cards

Unread postby James » Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:28 pm

Today I received an unexpected surprise. A person with whom my father was speaking recognized Kongming’s Archives (probably mentioned by the old man) and he told him that I was his son. This kind fellow (Kevin) then found or went out and purchased a deck of Romance of the Three Kingdoms playing cards, each card with elegant portraits of characters. The kingdom characters are spread out over the various suits, rulers being aces. The Emperors are jokers.

Aside from being thrilled to get such a gift, I’m also wondering if there is a place online where this set might actually be purchased. I wouldn’t want to ruin the one set I do have by playing with them. Also, I’m curious about the artwork. Are those of you who are familiar with Three Kingdoms artwork also familiar with this, Cao Cao’s portrait? Is it something original for the cards, or adapted from historical drawing? I’d like to have fun with it, but I don’t want to violate copyright... and I don’t even know who made the cards.

<hr><a href="/viewtopic.php?p=242637#242637">Deck Listing and Scanned Images</a>
<hr><a href="http://kongming.net/products/playing_cards/">Complete Scan Set (Kongming’s Archives)</a>
Last edited by James on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:12 pm

I've found similar items, but not the one that you have...it seems very unique indeed. Ok, this maybe a stupid question, but didn't you ask the guy who gave them to you where he got them from?

Anyway, here is the set I found...
One of the jokers reminds me of Zhuge Liang.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=1438
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:24 pm

Yeah, I’ve just heard back from him. He says he found the cards overseas a ‘long time ago’, and doesn’t know any location at which they might be purchased today. That also means he got them for himself, and later gave them to me, perhaps no longer having a set for himself... I’m not quite sure what to say to such generosity.

That [eBay] set certainly doesn’t look like a Three Kingdoms specific set, but they are very attractive. On with my search.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:43 pm

The set on EBay is actually 4 decks. The one on the bottom left is a Three Kingdoms set (I presume that's the one Ranbir thought looked like Kongming, too).
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:45 pm

Yeah, it was...and it says story cards...Can anyone read the writing on the card? *squints*
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:48 pm

Kong Zhengshu wrote:The set on EBay is actually 4 decks. The one on the bottom left is a Three Kingdoms set (I presume that's the one Ranbir thought looked like Kongming, too).

Why not... I just placed a bid on it (te-hee). The shipping is insane though...
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:56 pm

$7.99 US?

The guy is in Ontario, so I know the actual shipping cost would be no more than $2.00 US. Rip-off.

Get those cards scanned James, so I can print them off. :lol:
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Morg » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:18 pm

I have seen other 3K card sets surface on Ebay and on Japanese auction sites, but there don't seem to be any listed at the moment. The problem is that generally these things are sold by sellers in the far east and shipping usually cripples the deal as they will usually only use EMS.
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby James » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:20 pm

Kong Zhengshu wrote:Get those cards scanned James, so I can print them off. :lol:

Is James lifeless enough to scan the whole deck?
... Perhaps he is? Hmm...
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:03 am

James wrote:
Kong Zhengshu wrote:The set on EBay is actually 4 decks. The one on the bottom left is a Three Kingdoms set (I presume that's the one Ranbir thought looked like Kongming, too).

Why not... I just placed a bid on it (te-hee). The shipping is insane though...

The upper left deck is from A Dream of Red Mansion (Hong Lou Meng), the character on the joker card is Jia Baoyu; the upper right deck is from the Water Margin (Shui Hu), the character shown is Song Jiang; the lower left deck is indeed ROTK, and the joker - of course - is Kongming; the lower right deck is the Journey to the West, and the joker is the Buddha! :lol:
Last edited by Seven at One Stroke on Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium