Ma Chao's Comprehensive Officer Biography

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

Ma Chao's Comprehensive Officer Biography

Unread postby Ma Chao of Shu » Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:33 pm

I would like to know how come Ma Chao does not have a comprehensive officer biography at Kongming's archives It would be nice to look at his avatar and see his ranks.

If anyone could give an explanation of this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Justice is with us! We shall prevail! -Ma Chao
Ma Chao of Shu
Initiate

Unread postby Lion's Mane » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:14 am

Well, the reason there's likely not one there is because no one has submitted one yet. Though if someone did a Ma Chao SGZ biography, I think people would be quite astounded about how he supposedly is in actual history . . .

I'd take up the option of doing an SGYY bio, if I wasn't working on one with Wild-Eyes soon.
Remember, children, "No two people are not on fire."
Lion's Mane
Lord of Annwn
Lord of Annwn

Unread postby Guest » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:21 am

So someone has to submit a biography? Why would people be astounded about how he actually appeared in history?

I appreciate the fact that you would consider doing one on Ma Chao if you weren't busy. It's nice to know that Ma Chao has not been forgotten.

Unread postby Morg » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:35 am

Lion's Mane wrote:Though if someone did a Ma Chao SGZ biography, I think people would be quite astounded about how he supposedly is in actual history . . .

Cai Yan has done a SGZ bio and it's on Kongming:
http://kongming.net/novel/sgz/machao.php

I'd take up the option of doing an SGYY bio, if I wasn't working on one with Wild-Eyes soon.

Which one are you guys going to be working on?

All this bio talk reminds me that I need to finish off Sun Ce's SGYY bio...not my fault that the guy bores the hell out of me.
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby Asellas » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:19 am

I could have a go at a SGYY Ma Chao one if anyone would like a SGYY one... I am having a break from the Liu Bei project. I know my english sucks and my grammar and punctuation is atrocious but I would still do it and make it easy to understand.

Plus, Ma Chao would never be forgotten... just look at his historical one :wink:
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:12 am

Morg: We were considering doing an SGYY bio together on Xu Huang (big project, meep), though I was also considering taking up Huang Zhong.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby James » Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:20 am

Comprehensive Officer Biographies are mostly Jonathan Wu’s project, though you’ll start to see much more activity from me in them as well in the future. I generally apply myself to SGYY or CoBs (as I can’t translate SGZ). It would probably be the focus of my KMA time once I’m done posting all the other stuff that needs to be posted.

SGYY biographies are posted in comprehensive form only, at least for the time being, so anyone thinking about taking up a Ma Chao biography project needs to do a search over threekingdoms.com and realize just how much work that really is. Even Yang Xiu, who I did quite some time ago, is well over a single Word page.

I’ll see into the chances of a Ma Chao CoB appearing in the upcoming future. Cai Yan’s SGZ translation, in the mean time, is an excellent source though.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Starscream » Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:06 am

James, could you do a little editing to the KMA translations of the five tiger generals by adding these annotations? I think I've made amendments to Huang Zhong's biography here as well. Thanks! :wink:
http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=6300
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:02 am

Thanks Cai Yan for digging up that thread... I swore I remembered translating the Pei notes to Ma Chao's SGZ biography while sitting in an ice-cream shop one beautiful day last June... :)

Can someone enlighten me regarding the difference between a SGYY bio and a COB? Is a COB just a SGYY bio with historical references added?

Kudos to everyone who's worked on a SGYY bio. The sheer amount of work involved in researching SGYY makes SGZ translation seems like child's play. :wink:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Starscream » Sat Jan 10, 2004 6:22 am

No problem!
I figure that the five tiger biographies really need to be updated with the annotations since occasionally, there are queries regarding some of the annotation information (e.g. where is Ma Dai's biography?! Heroic deeds of Zhao Yun!?) Thanks for helping me with Ma Chao's annotations back then! :wink:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Next

Return to Kongming's Archives