RTK Character Names and Styles Information

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Indeed...

Unread postby Han Xin » Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:25 am

Lord Ma ChaoYou wrote:By the way, can anyone give me the sense of these names, please ?
_ Ma Dai
_ Zhou Yu, Lu Xun, Zhou Tai, Sun Ce
_ Lu Bu
_ Xu Huang, Zhen Ji

I've always wondered what their name mean... :oops:

ChaoYou

Dai (as in Ma Dai) is another name for Taishan (or Tai mountain)
Yu (as in Zhou Yu) is the type of the most precious Jade.
Xun (as in Lu Xun) mean to hide, to avoid, inferior (suit him perfectly :lol: )
Tai (as in Zhou Tai) mean large.
Ce (as in Sun Ce) mean a book made by peices of bamboo string together (type of book before paper was invented).
Bu (as in Lu Bu) is a type of rugged fabric made from trees (or grass) like hemp, also mean to donate (money), it also an ancient term for money.
Han Xin's past-time - 沉湎於酒, 淫於聲色, 左手擁華姬,右手抱越女:lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Lord Ma-koto Chaoying » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:25 pm

Han Xin wrote:
Lord Ma ChaoYou wrote:
ChaoYou

Dai (as in Ma Dai) is another name for Taishan (or Tai mountain)
Yu (as in Zhou Yu) is the type of the most precious Jade.
Xun (as in Lu Xun) mean to hide, to avoid, inferior (suit him perfectly :lol: )
Tai (as in Zhou Tai) mean large.
Ce (as in Sun Ce) mean a book made by peices of bamboo string together (type of book before paper was invented).
Bu (as in Lu Bu) is a type of rugged fabric made from trees (or grass) like hemp, also mean to donate (money), it also an ancient term for money.

Thank you a lot for answering. :D
:) Ah ! They have... surprising names. :shock: I didn't expect that ! :shock: Poor Lu Xun. :lol: I understand now he changed his name... :lol: Do these Hanzi still exist, or are they just ancient Hanzi ? :?:
Well, and for their styled name ? (and... Xu Huang and Zhen Ji ?) :?:

Chaoyou
"Listening to the Way of Union
Binding oneself to oneself and to Universe by Ki,
The streak of one's fibre and the ray of one's soul
Become the pure and divine mirror of each being
In a path without fear nor violence."
Lord Ma-koto Chaoying
Aikidoka Apprentice

Location: Searching Harmony of Universe through fight, secret of living things and beings...

Unread postby Han Xin » Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:22 am

Lord Ma ChaoYou wrote:Thank you a lot for answering. :D
:) Ah ! They have... surprising names. :shock: I didn't expect that ! :shock: Poor Lu Xun. :lol: I understand now he changed his name... :lol: Do these Hanzi still exist, or are they just ancient Hanzi ? :?:
Well, and for their styled name ? (and... Xu Huang and Zhen Ji ?) :?:

Chaoyou

Sorry, I could find the word Huang before, but the word Huang actually mean bright. Xu Huang's styled was Gongming, the word ming also mean bright.

- There were no mention of Ma Dai's style in SGZ.
- Zhou Yu's style was Gongjin, the word Jin mean a beautiful peice of Jade. Yu and Jin had virtually the same meaning.
- Lu Xun's former name was Lu Yi and his style is Boyan. Yi mean to discuss. Yan mean to talk. Both Yi and Yan had similar meaning.
- Sun Ce's style were Bofu. Fu is a peice of bamboo split in half, a series of Fu string together would make a old style chinese book (or Ce). Hence Ce and Fu had similar meaning.
- Lu Bu's style was Fengxian. Feng mean to serve, another meaning is to donate. Hence if both Feng and Bu was use to mean "donate" then they have exact same meaning.
- Zhou Tai's style was Youping. The word You actually mean lack of or little, Ping mean peace or flat. I am not really sure what the connection between his name and his style.

Zhen Ji- I don't know her script so I can't help you.
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Lord Ma-koto Chaoying » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:54 am

Sorry, I could find the word Huang before, but the word Huang actually mean bright. Xu Huang's styled was Gongming, the word ming also mean bright.

- There were no mention of Ma Dai's style in SGZ.
- Zhou Yu's style was Gongjin, the word Jin mean a beautiful peice of Jade. Yu and Jin had virtually the same meaning.
- Lu Xun's former name was Lu Yi and his style is Boyan. Yi mean to discuss. Yan mean to talk. Both Yi and Yan had similar meaning.
- Sun Ce's style were Bofu. Fu is a peice of bamboo split in half, a series of Fu string together would make a old style chinese book (or Ce). Hence Ce and Fu had similar meaning.
- Lu Bu's style was Fengxian. Feng mean to serve, another meaning is to donate. Hence if both Feng and Bu was use to mean "donate" then they have exact same meaning.
- Zhou Tai's style was Youping. The word You actually mean lack of or little, Ping mean peace or flat. I am not really sure what the connection between his name and his style.

Zhen Ji- I don't know her script so I can't help you.

:D Thank you a lot for your help. That really helped me.
Well, I am sorry to ask you so much, but... what do Sun Jian, Sun Quan, Sun Shang Xiang, Lu Meng, Gan Ning, Taishi Ci mean ?
_ Liu Bei, Guan Yu, Zhang Fei ?
_ And Cao Cao, Xiahou Dun, Xiahou Yuan, Zhang Liao, Yue Jin, Yu Jin ?
:? I am aware it is a lot of work for you to answer all the questions which are asked, so excuse me...

Thank you.

Chaoyou
"Listening to the Way of Union
Binding oneself to oneself and to Universe by Ki,
The streak of one's fibre and the ray of one's soul
Become the pure and divine mirror of each being
In a path without fear nor violence."
Lord Ma-koto Chaoying
Aikidoka Apprentice

Location: Searching Harmony of Universe through fight, secret of living things and beings...

Unread postby Han Xin » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:35 am

Lord Ma ChaoYou wrote: :D Thank you a lot for your help. That really helped me.
Well, I am sorry to ask you so much, but... what do Sun Jian, Sun Quan, Sun Shang Xiang, Lu Meng, Gan Ning, Taishi Ci mean ?
:? I am aware it is a lot of work for you to answer all the questions which are asked, so excuse me...

Thank you.

Chaoyou

I'll do the guys I know the meaning of first, the rest I had to check the meaning from my book.

- Sun Quan's styled was Zhongmu. Quan actually mean power, Zhongmu mean valueing strategems (Mu mean strategems or tricks). However, Zhong also use to defind that he was the second son of a formal wife. I forgot to mention earlier that in Sun Ce's style Bofu, the word Bo mean that he was the eldest son of a formal wife.

- Lu Meng's styled was Ziming. Meng mean a dull person, not bright, it also mean a little kid. However Ming seem to have opposite meaning meaning bright or clever.

- Gan Ning's style was Xingba. Ning mean orderly, or peaceful. Xing mean established, Ba mean an overlord or a person with great power.

- Taishi Ci's style was Ziyi. Ci mean compassionate, Yi mean a person that is loyal to his friends or wives.
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:07 am

Lord Ma ChaoYou wrote:Well, I am sorry to ask you so much, but... what do Sun Jian, Sun Quan, Sun Shang Xiang, Lu Meng, Gan Ning, Taishi Ci mean ?

To continue where Han Xin left off...

Sun Jian, styled Wentai: Jian means "solid, strong", and a "tai" is a terrace or a tower. "Wen" means "literary" or "decorative pattern", but it's often used in style names just as a prefix with no meaning.
Sun Shangxiang: Shang has various meanings -- "to carry, to be worthy of, still (adverb), to be married to (a woman of higher class)"; and xiang means "fragrant". Since this is not her real name in history I don't know exactly which interpretation of shang is correct.
Liu Bei, styled Xuande: Bei is "to be prepared" or "to finish". Xuan is "deep", and de is "virtues[/i]. I'm not sure how the names connect. [I just noted an ironic point: xuan in later Chinese developed an extra meaning -- "phony, fake" :lol: ]
Guan Yu, styled Yunchang: Yu is a feather, and yun is a cloud. Chang means "long".
Zhang Fei, styled Yide. Fei is "to fly", and de is the same as Liu Xuande's de -- "virtues". I need some help with "yi" though. In the historical SGZ, it is written 益, meaning "more, overflowing"; however, in the novel it is written 翼, "wings". Considering how style names are supposed to be an exegesis of the give name (the rule was relaxed later in history to simply that the style has to be related to the meaning of the given name in some way), the one in the novel seems to make more sense. I dunno though...
Cao Cao, styled Mengde. Cao (the second one) means "proper behaviour", and de is "virtue" again. Meng signifies that he was the oldest child in his family.
Xiahou Dun, styled Yuanrang: Dun is "thick, great", and rang is "to give to another something that should be yours". Hmmm... doesn't make much sense... there is one other possibility. The character for "thick", 厚, also means "to treat well", and an obscure meaning for rang is "to treat others well but oneself poorly" (”厚人薄己謂之讓“). There, you have a convoluted (but possible) connection :wink:

Xiahou Yuan, styled Miaocai: Yuan is deep, miao is "fantastic, beautiful", and cai is talent.
Zhang Liao, styled Wenyuan: Liao is "distant", and yuan is "far". Wen, again, means nothing.
Yue Jin, styled Wenqian: Jin is "to enter, to advance, to promote", and qian is almost the opposite, "to be humble, to withdraw".
Yu Jin, styled Wenze: Jin here is "to forbid, a law against something", and ze means "guidelines". Wen is meaningless.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Han Xin » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:39 am

Lady Wu wrote:Cao Cao, styled Mengde. Cao (the second one) means "proper behaviour", and de is "virtue" again. Meng signifies that he was the oldest child in his family.

From the book I had it say that both Bo and Meng signifies the eldest child, however, the different was that Bo only use for son of the Head wife, while Meng was use for eldest son by other wives or concubines.
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:36 pm

Han Xin wrote:From the book I had it say that both Bo and Meng signifies the eldest child, however, the different was that Bo only use for son of the Head wife, while Meng was use for eldest son by other wives or concubines.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:57 am

This has been split from the Q&A thread so we have a central place for RTK Character Name information.

Check this thread out as well: http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=3383
And this on style names: http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=7069
And this on names: http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?t=2520
Lady Wu

Unread postby Liu Yun, son of Liu Feng » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:14 am

What do Liu and Yun mean? thats my created officers name. I would really like to know!
"Better to wrong the world than to have it wrong me!" -Cao Cao

Currently dominating DW5
Liu Yun, son of Liu Feng
Initiate

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives