Liu Bei, SGYY Biography

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Liu Bei, SGYY Biography

Unread postby Asellas » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:26 pm

Ok, my first attempt at compiling an Original bio about Xuande from me, so critisicm is welcomed though don;t forget i'm a beginner. :wink:
I done this for... just passing the time by This is gonan be long and I probably won;t finish it all but do a lot.

based on Luo' 3 kingdoms. This might not even belong here but nevertheless...

This is what I have managed to compile so far from 3 kingdom. It will take me while to finish but I managed to write a few chapters and paragraphs; mainly about his background and how he started off.
Critisicm and Complements are welcome :)

Hope this is ok to post here...
I know there is one but I thougth I would compile an original one from 3 kingdom sources.

Compiled by RR (Me) Ryan Rosenheim, full name..... apparently :wink:

Liu Bei, styled Xuande was the son of Liu Sheng, whom was a great grandson of Emporer Jing; Xuande was claimed to have long ear lobes Liu Bei gained very few fortune by making straw sandals and mats.
Liu Bei used to play as if he was a ruler for the Han and he claimed I am the mandate of heaven and my chariot shall lead us to victory. His uncle, Liu Yuangqi found something special in Liu bei like high ambition and charisma.
In his younger days, he spent a lot of his time and life under the tutor ledge of the veteran han general, Lu Zhi where he befriended Gongsun Zan and the two became great friends.
He was eventually promoted (from the recommendation of Lu Zhi)to Judicious officer.

He was eventually demoted of the position though, namely for beating someone with a ample amount of power with a tree branch. The tables turned after hearing about the Han Commander, He Jin trying to subdue and quell the rebels which were know as 'Yellow Scarf’s' and therefore labelled the 'Yellow Turban Rebellion'.
Though, he didn't join until Han General Li Yan was ordered to find reinforcements to quell the hundred's and thousands of yellow scarf’s in the year of 184 A.D
So, with his oath brothers, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei in the Peach Tree Gardens. Liu Bei gladly accepted and appeared to quell a lot of the hoards of Yellow Turbans around the capital. Though at first, he was unsure but that depressed spirit soon turned to ambition and an opportunity to get noticed and show his power.
He managed to acquire this after Zhang Fei of Yan was somehow attracted to him because of reading the noticed and Liu Bei simply sighed. Zhang Fei was so enthusiastic he offered to recruit troops and help his new lord crush the yellow scarf’s.
While Zhang Fei and Liu bei were feasting, a tall grand man stood in the middle of the path and announced he was Guan Yu. Liu Bei peeked closer and closer at the man who was willing to offer and devote his life in servitude to Liu Bei, Liu Bei realised this man was of great fame, long beard and quite destructive by his massive prowess.

Guan Yu was enlightened by Liu Bei about why he was raising arms to fight the yellow scarf’s. They proceeded to the Peach Tree garden and swore brotherhood All 3 set off and embarked for the journey that desiny had created for each 3....Liu Bei's first battle was with Cheng Yuanzhi of the yellow scarf’s, there Liu Bei and his 500 troops met Cheng Yuanzhi's 50,000 troops. Liu Bei barked a statement with encouraged Cheng;s anger so he sent Deng Mao to intercept but Zhang Fei, fell out of formation and thrusted his spear killing Deng Mao and thus, the battlefield had it;s first sacrifice. Cheng was angry and fuming, he charged himself to the front lines of Liu Bei but he didn't get very far, because by the time he reached there... his bloody corpse, in two halves was on the floor; the man who committed the deed was none other than Guan Yu.

Qingzhou was liberated by Liu bei and his men for here was no breathes by the rebels intoxicating the battlefield, they were all vanquished.
A year or so later (Or months), Liu bei heard of Zhang Jue pushing Liu Zhi's forces back and Liu Bei was his student and friend so Liu Bei set off to help him and with more troops to aid him, decided to attack Zhang Jue.
They immediately went to the battlefield where Zhang Jue caused harm to Imperial General Dong Zhuo. Liu Bei forced Zhang Jue to retreat and brought the weakened Dong Zhuo to his camp though much to everyone’s surprise, Dong Zhuo didn’t seem happy nor satisfied by the heroic and valorous rescue after finding out Liu Bei had no offices so he was discontent with it.
Zhang Fei was enraged, hearing the story about Lu Zhi's downfall, Dong Zhuo acting greedy and rude. He was so enraged he even announced that only Dong Zhuo's death could quench his anger and hatred and he proceeded to his tent and held a very sharp sword up in the sky.
Liu Bei informed Zhang Fei about Dong Zhuo having authority so we must not act hastily and slay. Zhang Fei gave a big cry and decided to depart but Liu Bei and Guan Yu soon made Yide realise that they are of one and they will make the journey too. Eventually they met up with Zhu Jun and Liu Bei offering his support and it was welcomed. Zhu Jun was battling Zhang Lian at Quyang with the help of Cao Cao who joined the battle a lot earlier than Liu Bei with Cao Cao was under at the time.
Zhang Ba commanded the sum of about eighty thousand troops. Eventually, Gao Sheng whom was a subordinate of Zhang Ba was sent to cause havoc for Liu Bei, so Xuande sent Zhang Fei to counter him and with his spear in position saw the opportunity to attack Sheng and so fourth he knocked him of his horse with Gao Sheng being severely injured. Liu Bei then gave the command to charge and penetrate enemy lines. Zhang Ba who was still mounted on horseback summoned the aid of the heavens creating thunder, enormous winds causing utter mayhem in Liu Bei's forces, fear swooped down all over the army and thus were in disorder and retreated. Back in the camp of Liu Bei and Zhu Jun, Zhu Jun conjured up a war council and immediately thought of a plan to counter the shaman magic. Guan Yu and Zhang Fei took a thousand troops and went in ambush up to the hills over the canyon where Zhang Ba had his troops stationed, carrying with them the blood of swine’s and goats. Zhang Ba with the drums beating and banners flying charged to Liu Bei, Liu Bei rode forth also but then Zhang Bao halted and began to use magic again. Sand would whirl high in the air, pebbles would levitate of the ground, thunder and winds would cry but they didn't. The blood prevented the elements and magic from ever being summoned and it was then Zhang Ba realised that his magic was countered and set to retire.
At this time, this was a perfect opportunity for the two brothers to strike down Zhang Ba permanently. With Liu Bei and Zhu Jun having the ability to attack from the rear, the rebels were routed. However, Zhang Ba was only wounded but later had an arrow in the left arm but he still managed to lay siege in Yangcheng though shortly after he fortified a fortress in the city, he was besieged by Zhu Jun. Zhang Jue died later, and his brother took command of his armies though he too shared the same destiny as his brother when he was killed by one of his own officers, namely Yan Zheng. Zhang lian was also slain shortly after at Quyang; but even the three leaders of the yellow Scarf's didn't back down yet. They sought leadership under Zhao Hong, Han Zhong and Sun Zhong who destroyed anything and anyone in there path and they causes massive inferno's in cities and to the land, claiming to be the 'Avengers of Master Zhang Jue'. The Imperial Court summoned Zhu Jun, who scored quite a few victories to lead his troops to destroy the rebels. They marched swiftly on to the city of Wancheng which housed the infamous and fearful rebels. Han Zhong saw Zhu Jun's unit and proceeded to deal with them. Liu Bei and his sword brothers whom were subordinates of Zhu Jun were given orders to attack the southwest corner of the fort. Zhu Jun with his armoured cavalry endured a battle with Han Zhong so the troops stationed at the southwest where Liu Bei was stationed. He sought this opportunity to close in on the rebels and disbanded them. A few messengers posed to Zhu Jun about surrendering but Zhu Jun did not take any of it and sent the messengers back empty handed. Liu Bei questioning as to why Zhu Jun rejected these offers. Zhu Jun gave a punctilious response about disorder and the likes. Liu bei then offered his advice and Zhu Jun realised it was a good plan. han Zhong was eventually slain, but the other chieftains of the Yellow Scarf's Sun Zhong and Zhao Hong came to reinforce with a grand army of rebels.
These were eventually forced to retreat by the aid of Sun Jian and Zhu Jun was victorious since the rebels fled from the castle. The rebels met with Liu Bei in the north and though even Liu Bei saw the rebels didn't have the intention to fight, he took his bow, prepared an arrow then launched it killing Sun Zhong and his corpse fell to the ground. Zhu Jun arrived to the scene and the rest of the rebels surrendered and Liu bei was commended for his acts of bravery. Liu Bei later gained the title of of "Magistrate of the county of Anxi".
Last edited by Asellas on Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Andrew » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:37 am

Good so far but I just want to point out, that Liu Bei did not get his "Wealth from making sandles" They had to because he and his mother were so poor.

I may be wrong here but I don't think Gongsun Zan controlled the north when he was studying with Xuande.

Zhang Fei was attracted to Xuande because of his deep sigh upon reading the recruitment letter. Because he found Xuande to be loyal to the Han.

I might be wrong to though.
Formerly known as XiahouDun-22
Andrew
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Asellas » Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:29 am

After quickly reaading the chapter again, your right... he only made a bit of fortune when he was making it and ZHang Fei was attracted by his sith.
I'll edit that now, thanks for the heads up and i'll do some more work on it today.
I do think Gongsun Zan was in cintrol of the north though. :roll:
"Winter is coming".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby The great Lu Bu. » Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:23 pm

realy good Biographi
Good job :o
Zhang Liao:,, Ich bin auf der Suche nach der wahren Macht. Ihr könnt keine Furcht an mir sehen."
Lu Bu:,, Dann last uns zusammen gehen.
Denn wo eine Schlacht ist soll auch Lu Bu sein."
Dynasty Tactics 2
The great Lu Bu.
Sage

Unread postby Asellas » Sat Nov 22, 2003 2:30 pm

Heh thanks there, though as you can tell anyway.... I got much work to do on it.... time to read about another 60-80 chapters of three kingdoms again :lol:
"Winter is coming".
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Jon » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:03 pm

Don't take what I'm about to say personally, but your bio needs a lot of work.

First of all, you focused 3 whole paragraphs on when Liu Bei met Zhang Fei and Guan Yu. For a bio, that's too much. Also, you have no dates anywhere in the biography. When you are writing a bio, you need dates.
It doesn't read very well, either. Your sentences need to be more fluid, more interesting. They are also in italics, which really hurt my eyes when reading it.

It's really a good start, though, and prolly better than I can do.
Jon
Ladies' Man

Unread postby Asellas » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:08 pm

The italics was so that it was different than the paragraph his about me compiling it though I can soon change that.
Yes, it does lack dates and I overall ti is the way iw rite and was taught so i'm actually trying to bring it where it works well by going from one tidbit of info to another, don;t worry though, I only focused on them so that it was known how they got introduced.
I'll include the dates when I do more important work like structure ect ect...

Thanks for the ideas though. 8-)
"Winter is coming".
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Re: Liu Bei, SGYY Biography

Unread postby Morg » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:37 pm

Nanami Ice Kleist wrote:Ok, my first attempt at compiling an Original bio about Xuande from me, so critisicm is welcomed though don;t forget i'm a beginner. :wink:

A few hints:

1. Turn off 'Word Wrap' in Wordpad/Notepad as I think it is changing the formatting from how you have written it. My bios always go haywire when I copy and paste them across to here, but with Word Wrap off, the bio should hold it's formatting.

2. Spellcheck. There are a few mistakes in there which would be picked up by using a spellchecker. Proof-reading (reading back over your text) is a good idea as there are a few little things (names not capitalised for example) that you may pick up.

3. As Mac has said, don't be afraid to put dates in there as they will give the reader a sense of a timeframe. The Three Kingdoms period lasted officially 60ish years, but without dates it's hard to tell if the bio covers all 60 years or 6 months.

4. Details. Sometimes details can be omitted, sometimes they can't or shouldn't. There are a few things which could do with a little more details, the saving of Dong Zhuo for example:
Dong Zhuo didn;t seem happy nor satsfied by the heroic and valourous rescue

Dong Zhuo was happy about still being alive but he didn't thank the brothers for their actions because they didn't have rank. As they didn't have rank, he saw no need to address them and that angered Zhang Fei. By letting the reader know that information, it helps them to understand why Dong Zhuo would not thank men who saved him. There are a couple of instances like that.

I know there is one but I thougth I would compile an original one from 3 kingdom sources.

There isn't actually a Liu Bei SGYY on KMA yet as no-one wants to undertake a huge project like that, so it's nice to see womeone doing it.

All in, a good start and hopefully you will finish it.
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby Asellas » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:49 pm

Thanks guys, i'll fix it soon ut I am sure you Morg kniow how hard it is to do a ruler of the 3 kingdoms :wink:
But thanks again and i'll be sure to correct my errors. LEave the Liu bei bio. for me :P
"Winter is coming".
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby Morg » Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:55 pm

Nanami Ice Kleist wrote:Thanks guys, i'll fix it soon ut I am sure you Morg kniow how hard it is to do a ruler of the 3 kingdoms :wink:

Indeed. So far I have only done short bios and that is a deliberate decision as they are very very difficult to do. However, masochist that I am, I will start work on Cao Cao's at some point in the New Year....

But thanks again and i'll be sure to correct my errors. LEave the Liu bei bio. for me :P

You are more than welcome on both counts :D
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium