Some help with Chinese, please.

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Some help with Chinese, please.

Unread postby Yuan Seth » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:51 pm

I know I've been gone from the forum for a long time, and I apologize for that. While I was gone, I've been trying to learn Chinese and improve my studies. I have a couple questions on the pronounciation:

"Zh" as in Zhang Fei, is that pronounced like "Ch" or "Jh" ?

"Qi" as in Qiao, i heard it was pronounced like "Ch" or "Ki"

"Cao Cao", I read it was T'sao T'sao. That wouldn't sound like "Cow cow" in English? In Dynasty Tactics, they said it like "Cow Cow".

There is a Chinese dicitonary I found(http://www.mandarintools.com/chardict.html) so I could look at the different Characters. When I type in a word, such as "rice", it gives me characters in two columns. It says "Characters" and "Radical/Stroke". I think it's "Characters" which is the way they really are made, but can somebody tell me what "Radical/Stroke" is?

I would really appreciate help for this topic. Chinese is quite difficult to learn :x
袁 "Since the dawn of time every one will die,
Let the history books note my death with loyalty at heart." --Wen Tianxiang
Yuan Seth
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Outskirts of Beiping - Driving Gongsun Zan to suicide

Re: Some help with Chinese, please.

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:02 am

I suppose I'll tackle this one although there are people more qualified on this board. :?
Sun Yuan Seth wrote:"Zh" as in Zhang Fei, is that pronounced like "Ch" or "Jh" ?

"Qi" as in Qiao, i heard it was pronounced like "Ch" or "Ki"

"Cao Cao", I read it was T'sao T'sao. That wouldn't sound like "Cow cow" in English? In Dynasty Tactics, they said it like "Cow Cow".

In different dialects there are VERY different pronounciations. I'll use the Beijing dialect pronounciation (Mandarin) since it's the 'official' dialect of PRC.

Zh is pronouced like 'Jh' as in 'dredge', or 'dg' (dЗ really, but i can't find the proper symbol) if you're into the international phonetics symbols.

Q is pronounced "ch". "Qiao" would be something like "ch-ee-ah--oh" or "t∫iau"

"Cao Cao" is pronounced T'sao T'sao, although it's actually a little more subtle than that, because the two characters differ a little in the tone (but very unnoticeable to those with untrained ears). I think it would be a lot more helpful if you could find a tape or something like that.

There is a Chinese dicitonary I found(http://www.mandarintools.com/chardict.html) so I could look at the different Characters. When I type in a word, such as "rice", it gives me characters in two columns. It says "Characters" and "Radical/Stroke". I think it's "Characters" which is the way they really are made, but can somebody tell me what "Radical/Stroke" is?

If you look at the characters closely, many of them are made up of other, simpler characters. That portion of a character is what's called a radical. The second and the forth "rice" characters have the same left portion. In a Chinese dictionary, there are two ways to look up a word: one is by sound (usually in pingyin); the other one is by using the radicals. If you only know the character but not the sound, you have to search using the "radical/root" and then count how many strokes there are without the radical to find where the word is. It's quite complicated to explain without having a Chinese dictionary on hand, but I hope you get the picture. If not, PM me or the Chinese experts here (they usually hang around the SGYY Symposium.) :)
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Yuan Seth » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:09 am

You have helped me out immensely. Thank you so much for your help. I'm going to check the public library for an audio tape or cd on Chinese dialect. Once again, thank you.
Yuan Seth
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Yuan Seth » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:52 am

I have another question...does anybody know if there are any online learning Chinese schools? It'd have to be free though, because I am under age. :cry: I'd really appreciate it.
Yuan Seth
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Skyeye Amon Ra » Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:13 pm

This site may be what you are looking for:

www.csulb.edu/~txie/online.htm

Hope it helps.
A true test of destiny is Power. - Me

"Is it the sea you hear in me, its dissatisfactions? Or the voice of nothing, that was your madness?" - Sylvia Plath

"These fragments I have shored against my ruins." - T.S. Eliot
Skyeye Amon Ra
Assistant

Unread postby Yuan Seth » Sun Jul 06, 2003 12:31 am

skyeye84 wrote:This site may be what you are looking for:

www.csulb.edu/~txie/online.htm

Hope it helps.

This should help me out. Thank you, skyeye.
Yuan Seth
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby GuanYu » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:58 pm

Zh is prounced Je

Qi i don't know this one

Cao Cao is read Cow Cow, it's really wierd

My friends thinks that Chinese is one of the hardest language to learn, because of the characters. Easy to speak, because the grammer is easy!

This is off topic, but why do you want to learn Chinese?
GuanYu
Langzhong

Unread postby Yuan Seth » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:10 pm

GuanYu wrote: This is off topic, but why do you want to learn Chinese?

To gain a better understanding of the Chinese culture, mostly. I have a thing for learning, that I like to learn a lot, I guess. Chinese is the most spoken language of the world, and would prove advantageous. Since I know English, Spanish, and I'm learning Chinese, I can get a very good job. I plan on touring Europe and China. First the UK, then Spain, then Italy and Greece. Then I'd go to China and visit all the old Three Kingdoms sites and all.
Yuan Seth
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Skyeye Amon Ra » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:14 am

Your welcome Seth.
A true test of destiny is Power. - Me

"Is it the sea you hear in me, its dissatisfactions? Or the voice of nothing, that was your madness?" - Sylvia Plath

"These fragments I have shored against my ruins." - T.S. Eliot
Skyeye Amon Ra
Assistant

Unread postby GuanYu » Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:43 pm

Sun Yuan Seth wrote:
GuanYu wrote: This is off topic, but why do you want to learn Chinese?

To gain a better understanding of the Chinese culture, mostly. I have a thing for learning, that I like to learn a lot, I guess. Chinese is the most spoken language of the world, and would prove advantageous. Since I know English, Spanish, and I'm learning Chinese, I can get a very good job. I plan on touring Europe and China. First the UK, then Spain, then Italy and Greece. Then I'd go to China and visit all the old Three Kingdoms sites and all.

He he, i'll be glad to help you!
GuanYu
Langzhong

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy