US Health Care

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Unread postby The Masked Moogle » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:40 am

The problem with American health care is that it's all centered on employer coverage, such that those who are insured by their employer pay half of what they'd pay (because of tax deductions) than those who insure themselves.

Unfortunately, the people who need health care the most (like the mentally ill and dehabilitated) are usually unemployed. As a result they suffer.
The Masked Moogle
Narshe Templar

Unread postby James » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:50 am

The Masked Moogle wrote:Unfortunately, the people who need health care the most (like the mentally ill and dehabilitated) are usually unemployed. As a result they suffer.

I am under the impression that government makes accommodations for these people, to a certain extent. Either way, I am one of those odd people who thinks a system should accommodate the greater percentage first, and the smaller percentage later (in terms of minorities vs. majorities, with exceptions).

Can you elaborate on problems regarding the mentally ill, dehabilitated, and others with similar limitations?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby The Masked Moogle » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:05 am

Fortunately I just ran a debate case on this topic :)

The government "spends" (actually lost income) $125 billion a year to encourage employers to provide insurance instead of for the employees to insure themselves with their salaries; this is in the form of tax subsidies, including a 28% income tax, a 15% payroll tax, and 6-7% state income tax, summing to roughly 50%. Those who are unemployed and must pay their medical bills out of their own pocket have to pay all these taxes themselves, whereas if the employer payed the bill it would neatly dodge all those taxes. The mentally ill are 3 to 5 times more likely to be unemployed, and thus have an extremely difficult time paying for their health care. Also, if they switch jobs (as the mentally ill are twice as likely to do) they usually switch health plans (and thus doctors), destroying the continuity of care vital to mental health treatment. Note this also applies to people with dehabilitating illnesses - polio, paralysis, et cetera.

It's actually a really big problem; we lose an estimated $80 billion a year in lost productivity due to the mentally ill.

The government also has its own insurance institutions to provide for the mentall ill (i.e. Medicare), but they suffer from huge problems themselves. Medicare, for instance, doesn't pay for prescription drugs, which are the single most effective treatment for the mentally ill. And it's often impossible to escape enrollment in these programs.
The Masked Moogle
Narshe Templar

Unread postby Justin » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:45 am

The Masked Moogle wrote:The problem with American health care is that it's all centered on employer coverage, such that those who are insured by their employer pay half of what they'd pay (because of tax deductions) than those who insure themselves.

Unfortunately, the people who need health care the most (like the mentally ill and dehabilitated) are usually unemployed. As a result they suffer.

I will agree with you about the mental health issue but that is all. I have many relatives who have worked in this field and even if you do have coverage it usually doesn't cover much if any mental health problems. Add to the fact that mental health care is EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE and a great problem exists. Great steps need to be taken to correct this.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:49 am

Hmm... we are off topic. If anyone wants to make a new thread for this health care debate, please feel free. When I have a moment I may make it myself.

Mod Edit: I split the off topic posts into their own thread. Enjoy ^_^
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Rhiannon » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:50 pm

How do you fix the cost of health care for the mentally ill -- or for any illness, for that matter, like AIDS or cancer? Mentally ill aren't the only dehabilitated ones; and there's also temporary dehabilitation as well. Unless you're talking about cutting medication and therapy costs across the board...
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Lord_Phan » Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:42 pm

I just had to say it...

I love being Canadian.
Lord_Phan
Initiate

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:25 am

Wild-Eyes wrote:How do you fix the cost of health care for the mentally ill -- or for any illness, for that matter, like AIDS or cancer? Mentally ill aren't the only dehabilitated ones; and there's also temporary dehabilitation as well. Unless you're talking about cutting medication and therapy costs across the board...

You don’t. Right now those things are too difficult to treat without the proper finances, and if our government (or any other government for that matter) were to start financing it for everyone the system would collapse. Right now the only realistic solution for poor people suffering from major diseases like this is to move on to the next world (or oblivion), whichever is around the corner. This is the reality of our world.

Regarding Canada, I don’t think I would be any better off there than I would be here when suffering from a major affliction.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:08 am

Lord_Phan wrote:I just had to say it...

I love being Canadian.

Yup, we get FREE HEALTH CARE.....I just stick my Health Card to the receptionist and I'm off :D
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:13 am

Sadly, nothing is free. Do you Canadians not pay for your health care through your taxes?

It is like a freind of mine says about various services (medical included) here at school. "I like it since it is free. Everything is free here!"

My reply: "Look at your billing statement. You pay for these 'free' services through your fees and tution costs."
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Next

Return to Current Affairs