What if humanity lost all accumulated knowledge?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

What if humanity lost all accumulated knowledge?

Unread postby The Masked Moogle » Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:54 am

I once watched an anime in which, far in the future, an alien race came and robbed humanity of all its knowledge, turning us back into caveman babies.. sort of like one giant, twisted psychology project. The rest of the anime was a surviving human travelling around with one of the aliens to see how everyone reacted.

If this really happened, how do you think we'd react? How quickly would it take for us to, say, form religions? Agriculture? How would we react to our own technology if we knew nothing about it? How would a human being who was unaffected by the loss of knowledge react?

It's a huge question to ask, but it gives a good perspective on what humanity has accomplished over the years.

[to the mods: Current Affairs or Pub, you decide]
The Masked Moogle
Narshe Templar

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:22 am

We would probably react the same way the citizens did after Rome was sacked by the Germanic tribes. We would have to develop and evolve, so to speak, all manners of civilization again. If we lost all knowledge, much superstition and such would arise as it did in the Dark Ages.
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:23 am

I have seen that anime as well. Very philosophical. And my answer is... welcome to Hobbestown, right smack in the good 'ol State of Nature!

Essentially, I agree with the plotline of the show.
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby Lu Ziming » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:25 am

i think that that would be kind of cool actually because the only tool that humans have evolved is knowledge and all humans do with it is destroy their environment (think of all of the cities and deforestation and other stuff) and if that was taken away, humans would have to evolve more natural adaptation like other animals. I am just really bugged by the fact that humans evolved to be smart while other animals evolved normally and humans are just destroying the earth they live on.
Lu Ziming
Apprentice

Unread postby Milliardo » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:38 am

I imagine humans would be smart enough to use the tools, machines and what-not, that were left behind, by simple trial and error. They might not be able to reproduce them for awhile. If those tools were taken away as well, then we would simply start over again.
"Break free from the chains of your genome."

Ask me any questions by email or PM, I don't check the forums regularly, but I'm always interested in talking about the Three Kingdoms.
Milliardo
Student

Unread postby Evil Azn Chris » Fri Apr 25, 2003 7:28 am

It wouldnt all be that bad...at least I wouldnt have to learn Shakespeare at school... :P

And with all the people around these days, it wouldnt take long for our technology to catch back up to where it is now...
When you've done things right, people wont be sure you've done things at all...
Evil Azn Chris
Sage

Unread postby Humble Fisherman » Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:24 pm

Cao Zhi wrote:I have seen that anime as well. Very philosophical. And my answer is... welcome to Hobbestown, right smack in the good 'ol State of Nature!

Essentially, I agree with the plotline of the show.

I think I'll have to agree there (though I didn't see the particular anime). I think, at least for a time, life would become nasty, brutish, and short.
"He who thinks he has no faults has one"
Humble Fisherman
Langzhong

Unread postby Morphine Jim » Thu May 08, 2003 1:34 pm

We'd die. We have no natural form of self defence, we rely on our knowledge and technology too much nowadays to survive were it all suddenly stripped from us. We either die, or we re-revolve and get back to the point of aiming nukes at each other, either way, we're basically screwed.

We'd be dead within the decade.
http://angrygerman.com/morphineassociates/index.php

Because sometimes you need a message board where literally.... it's all allowed.
Morphine Jim
Student

Unread postby Random » Thu May 08, 2003 2:02 pm

Well if the all the knowledge we had possesed up to this point were taken away from us, the human race would probably die off rather quickly. Now going on the premise that ALL knowledge had been erased, most people would starve or die of dehydration. Eating and drinking is a learned trait even if our bodies learn to do so automatically.

But for arguments sake I'll concur that we remember to eat and drink water for the survival of the species.

Humans are naturally curious. If we were left with our sciencetific advancements then it would be a few decades before we reached where we are today. Through human curiosity we would relearn what the technology does and pretty much continue from there. If, however, we are thrust completely back to the stone age without our computers, guns, nuclear war heads, and medicines, we would have to re-evolve. Mainly because of the damage that has already been done to the eco system, humans would be forced to drink water from contaminated rivers and lakes. We would be forced to eat undercooked contaminated meat or fish. Either way we would come through it like we did before. Although there would be a few bilion less of us.
"The is no honor to be found in the power to kill. True honor and glory is found only in the power to heal."
Random
Apprentice

Unread postby Zhao Yun of Changshan » Fri May 23, 2003 2:07 am

Mankind might start over, but then again on the other hand we might be wiped out because we've evolved so much since our humble beginnings and now we rely on technology too much. It would be nice though to be the person who created the wheel of made fire.
"None dare to engage the warrior at Dangyang....."
Zhao Yun of Changshan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy