Cloning...

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Cloning...

Unread postby DianWei » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:17 am

i kinda like this topic and im not sure if its ever been made here before, but if it has, i wouldnt mind this one being locked and being firected to an older topic, however if it isnt, id like to start a debate on cloning and ill argue against reproductive cloning, and a circumstantial no for therepeutic cloning...
anyone want to expend thoughts?
Im in ur vanguard, vanquishin ur d00ds.
DianWei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mu Shu » Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:43 am

Whats the big deal over cloning.... within a few decades (or maybe centuries??) the technology to make the human race as we know it obsolete will exist. They'll be able to improve on humans the way computers have improved over the past 20 years.... humans will become like the commonly published pictures of aliens with the enormous brains... they'll have IQ's of 500... or maybe 5000....

Why would anyone bother cloning a 386 when they can create a pentium 4 or better? Biotechology can also give humans wings and make them glow in the dark... not that those things would be any practical use...
Mu Shu
Langzhong

Unread postby ballista99999 » Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:00 am

That would be scarly, seen like 20 of me walking on the street :shock:

I'll freak out...
"I shall defeat thee with a single blow!!" - Ma Chao
"Blood... Darkness... Come to me!" - Nightmare of SC
ballista99999
Assistant

Unread postby Wen Choung » Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:31 am

Mu Shu wrote:They'll be able to improve on humans the way computers have improved over the past 20 years....

It's one thing to be manipulating the wires and chips in a motherboard, but it's another to be manipulating the mind and body in a mother.

There is a value placed on a computer but not one on a person's life, is there? Underneath all the controversy of cloning, the real problem is the loss on human individuality.
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jimayo » Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:58 am

Go Science! Hurray for Science!

That's my stance on cloning.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Justin » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:17 am

Jimayo Oyamitch wrote:Go Science! Hurray for Science!

That's my stance on cloning.

I agree, anything that makes us more advanced as a species is a good thing.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Maria » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:50 am

It's a good thing only if used properly. I would be fuious if someone clones me and then use that clone to do bad things, or to blackmail me.

I think we should resort to cloning only in specia cases. We can't really afford to take care of 5 billion clones now, would we?
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Sun jian » Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:57 pm

i think cloning is wrong. it goes against what i believe. if the Lord had wanted two or more of every person he would have done it himself. :evil:
having one of a kind makes everyone unique, even twins, who look alike but still don't have the same personality. we're all individuals and cloning would create confusion and chaos. it would only be a miracle at first, then it would be like everything else, abused and misused for one person's own ends, whether good or bad. let evolution and adaptation, which are natural, make us a better species; not cloning.
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jimayo » Mon Jan 27, 2003 1:45 pm

Clones would be like twins that way dude. Look alike but with different personalities, since our personality is brought about much more by our environment and experience than anything genetic.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Mu Shu » Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:37 pm

In a sense, we are already all clones of each other. Our DNA matches something like 99.9999%.
Mu Shu
Langzhong

Next

Return to Current Affairs