Good and Evil, Right and Wrong

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Good and Evil, Right and Wrong

Unread postby Hotsuma Moritsune » Fri Jan 03, 2003 1:36 pm

Do you think it's rather subjective or non-existant? I somehow am unbias and am caught in between the two. Good and evil is defined by racism and segregation because of conflicts and disagreement between views yet killing people for it is definitely bad. If I were to choose between Bush and Saadaam as a bad person, I'd be stuck between the two. For personally I do not like the both of them and see them as bad....
My Buds at SOSZ: Jon, James, Jesse, D_G, Dian Wei, Nate, Shizumeru, ZhangHe_OfWei, Kyle a.k.a. Lu Xun and Ryan a.k.a. Hayate
Goddamn! I've been at my last stand at Wu Zhang Plains for months! When the hell am I gonna die or when's the battle gonna end?
Hotsuma Moritsune
Changshi

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sun Jan 05, 2003 2:11 am

Good is anything constructive and supportive of life, and Evil is anything that is destructive and ...um... unsupportive of life?

Everything contains a certain amount of Good, and a certain amount of Evil. When an action is purely constructive, it is of the highest Good, and anything purely destructive is of the lowest Evil. When the Good of an action shadows the Evil, then the action is Good, and vice versa.

What is Right is whatever that yields the greater amount of Good out of all possiblities, and what is Wrong is whatever that yields the greater amount of Evil.

Again, my own personal opinions.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Lady Lazarus » Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:07 am

We know there is Good because we saw Evil, Good and Evil co-exist on each other. We didn't know loyalty until there is betrayal. so what's good about knowing the GOOD?

Good are what the majority thinks, as if anyone would care how Afghan people sees good and evil. The world is really confused, what you see is not what they are.
Formerly Zhao_Yun Lover
Lady Lazarus
Langzhong

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:40 pm

My personal philosophy (though hard to follow in this day of man):

There is one Law. The Law of Life -- Life is sacred above all. Anything which goes against that Law in part or in full is wrong; anything which obeys that law is right. Beyond that, good and evil are subjective qualities we choose to place on things; they are subjective because they ignore everything else but personal opinion (they don't take into account the other side of the story). There can be good right and evil right; good wrong and evil wrong. Thus it's important to shed all precepts of good and evil, and determine something's rightness by its adherence to the Law.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Gaara of the Desert » Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:43 pm

Destruction is a requirement for rebuilding and growth... It is needed for the circle of life.
Signature: This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Gaara of the Desert
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lion's Mane » Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:28 pm

Destruction is permanent. Death is required for life. The Yellowstone Fires were Death, as they will regrow. The deforestation of the Amazon is destruction, because that land will never support life.

Destruction is not a part of the circle of life, in my opinion. Destruction is senseless and crude. Death is natural, and a completion for the cycle.

There is no such thing as good and bad, right and wrong. There is but the world, and the people, plants and animals that live upon it.
Remember, children, "No two people are not on fire."
Lion's Mane
Lord of Annwn
Lord of Annwn

Unread postby Gaara of the Desert » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:46 pm

Lord Davion wrote:Destruction is permanent. Death is required for life. The Yellowstone Fires were Death, as they will regrow. The deforestation of the Amazon is destruction, because that land will never support life

Because humans are naturally destructive it is part of the circle of life, whether some humans like it or not.
Signature: This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Gaara of the Desert
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mu Shu » Thu Jan 09, 2003 10:03 pm

Good and evil, right and wrong are subjective but still very important. The moral values of society are not fixed but change over time. The civil rights movement was able to succeed because more and more Americans saw segregation as wrong. But this wasn't always the case in American history. Clearly the values had changed.

Overall Americans believe Bush is a good man. That is why he was elected president. Bush needs to portray Iraq as evil in order to justify his war with the American people. This case illustrates how influencing public sentiment is necessary to successfully pursue far-reaching policies in a democratic society like the United States.
Mu Shu
Langzhong

Unread postby Lion's Mane » Fri Jan 10, 2003 2:09 am

Lord Zhou Dec wrote:Because humans are naturally destructive it is part of the circle of life, whether some humans like it or not.

The problem is, there's no circle. Destruction just makes things end. Kaput. Cease. Bye-bye. No more. Whether or like it or not, the idea of circle has to have no beginning, or no end, just continuity. Destruction is more the Line Segment of Life.
Remember, children, "No two people are not on fire."
Lion's Mane
Lord of Annwn
Lord of Annwn

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:19 am

Mu Shu wrote:Good and evil, right and wrong are subjective but still very important. The moral values of society are not fixed but change over time. The civil rights movement was able to succeed because more and more Americans saw segregation as wrong. But this wasn't always the case in American history. Clearly the values had changed.

It is a very acceptable way of looking at things (if not somewhat cynical), though saying good and evil are purely subjective terms just doesn't seem quite right. Behind such a statement, you're really saying that good and evil do not exist except in our minds, and that there is indeed no good act and no evil act. Murder, rape and mass destruction have the same merit as acts of pure altruism objectively, if good and evil are solely subjective.

Add your comment about the civil rights movement, the whole good/evil thing just seems like a mob rule or brain-washing. Is a good act one that sides with the majority, because whatever the majority believes to be good is good?

Well maybe that IS the reality... *sigh* Lately I just realized that my belief of human decency and honesty is all wishful-thinking, so maybe good and evil really don't exist at all.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy