Zhuge Liang vs. Sima Yi

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhuge Liang vs. Sima Yi

Unread postby Shadowlink » Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:50 pm

who do u think is smarter I think Zhugeliang is because he almost burn Sima Yi and his sons it was because Zhugeliang was not as evil as Sima Yi so Sima Yi end up ruling china.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:13 am

Zhuge Liang was evil. He ordered Ma Dai to cut down Shu's best general at the time Wei Yan even though there was no proof of him being a traitor.
Last edited by TheGreatNads on Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sam » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:23 am

TheGreatNads wrote:Zhuge Liang was evil. He ordered Ma Dai to cut down Shu's best general at the time Wei Yan even though there was no proof of him being a traitor. Calling Zhuge Liang good and Sima Yi evil is an ignorant thing to say.

No, you’re obviously the one being ignorant. The poster of this thread is obviously not well versed in SGZ, and solely in SGYY. So instead of insulting someone who is obviously new to the three kingdoms era, and is stating something that he was led to believe in by reading the novel, why don't you explain what you said?
ZhugeLiang: Zhuge Liang wasn't as great a strategist as the novel made him out to be, and many of his accomplishments were made up by LGZ. SGYY is the name given to the novel, around 70% is true history, while 30% is fiction. SGZ is solely focused on true history. Here is a link where you can check out some SGZ biographies for many generals of the three kingdoms era:
http://kongming.net/novel/bios/
Otherwise known as Wang Ping (Zijun)
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Unread postby KINGSHAMOKE71 » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:36 am

Sima Yi was made out to be evil in the novel. Being unloyal back then was basically being evil. Sima Yi layed the foundation for his children to take power from the king.
- "No Han general would ever submit to the dogs of Wu." Fu Tong. This general of Han did his title proud.
KINGSHAMOKE71
Initiate

Re: Zhugeliang Vs. Sima Yi

Unread postby Yuan Seth » Tue Dec 31, 2002 1:47 am

Zhugeliang wrote:who do u think is smarter I think Zhugeliang is because he almost burn Sima Yi and his sons it was because Zhugeliang was not as evil as Sima Yi so Sima Yi end up ruling china.

Well, Sima Yi, like said layed the foundation for ruling China for his sons. He himself was kinda like the "founder" of Jin, I guess.
袁 "Since the dawn of time every one will die,
Let the history books note my death with loyalty at heart." --Wen Tianxiang
Yuan Seth
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Outskirts of Beiping - Driving Gongsun Zan to suicide

Re: Zhugeliang Vs. Sima Yi

Unread postby Mu Shu » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:06 am

Zhugeliang wrote:who do u think is smarter I think Zhugeliang is because he almost burn Sima Yi and his sons it was because Zhugeliang was not as evil as Sima Yi so Sima Yi end up ruling china.

In the novel, Zhuge Liang was a bit smarter than Sima Yi. But Sima Yi had a better strategic position than Zhuge Liang and therefore prevailed.

I think the novel makes both Zhuge Liang and Sima Yi out to be honorable.

As for historically, I have no idea...
Mu Shu
Langzhong

Unread postby SmartMuffin » Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:52 am

Who do I think is smarter?

When it was all said and done, the Sima clan came out on top, so I'd have to say that Sima Yi was smarter. You can say it was because he was disloyal, or even "evil," but being either of those doesn't necessarily detract from your intelligence. Even if there was luck involved, Zhuge Liang had some lucky moments too, but he just couldn't pull it off in the end like Sima Yi did.
SmartMuffin
Apprentice

Unread postby Shadowlink » Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:59 pm

Sima Yi and his sons almost get burned because for Zhugeliang and Wei Yan was not loyal i saw it too. In the books they said he was'nt loyal is because Zhugeliang hated him.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:20 pm

Yes, but in reality Zhuge Liang never had proof of Wei Yan being a traitor. Wei Yan had a great plan for striking Chang An but Zhuge Liang didn't like the idea and because of it no cities were captured. Zhuge disliked Wei Yan, because Wei Yan had plans of his known and instead of doing exactly what Zhuge Liang says, he suggests other strategies. But Wei Yan did follow Zhuge Liang's orders and was loyal. Regardless of all that Zhuge Liang eventually ordered Ma Dai to cut down Wei Yan. Too bad he got rid of his best general.(Or at least one of the best.)
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cheng YU » Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:06 pm

Zhuge was just too careful and don't want to take any risks...the opposite of Wei Yan or Pang Tong. Though it's more safe, there's no rewards or anything for that. So he didn't achieve much.

And neither Zhuge or Sima were any good at military. Then Zhuge was more well known for his other achievements, but Sima was well known for his son and his fight with Zhuge...and as i mentioned they are not great military guys. So i think Zhuge's better
Cheng YU
Initiate

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium