Death; Afterlife; and God

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do you believe in an afterlife?

YES
70%
NO
30%

Total votes : 30

Death; Afterlife; and God

Unread postby the_master_monk » Thu Dec 26, 2002 10:47 pm

Hey; this is a rather down topic and I really had no clue under which forum it should go under... I just wanted to know if anyone out there experienced the loss of a loved on x-mas or any other significant holiday. It is quite the turn of event. I had my aunt pass away yesterday; quite unexpected; which turned a joyous day into a day of tears and sorrow. It will definately be something I will never forget... It got me really thinking about faith; the possibility of an after life; and the impact it can create. Is the world merely chaotic or is there some kind of divine order? The more time I spend searching for the answer the more I am inclined to believe that universe is nothing but chaos; and it is what we make of it ourselves... I would like to hear other peoples opinion on the subject of death and what comes after it.
A drunken man's word is a sober man's thought.
the_master_monk
Tyro

Unread postby Dennis » Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:44 pm

Well a few years back, my grandfather died on New Years Eve, which coincidentley was also his birthday and now deathday. He was an extremely good man, and a great grandfather, and I can't just imagine him passing into oblivion.

I belief there is some sort of higher order, I do believe in some sort of divine entity that controls the fate of a man's passing and a child's coming into this world, I think it's the dude that passes out souls, there is no name for him yet, but where people go when they die is a really nice place, kinda like Hawaii with no tacky Denny's. Also this dude is not the Christian god, because everyone goes to this place that has a soul, and since its chemical imbalances in the brain that generally make people crazy, the sould escapes from the body and brain, pure as the day it came into the world.

That's just my take on it. The concept of nothingness is too dark, and depressing for me to accept.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Xiao Gui » Fri Dec 27, 2002 12:34 am

I don't believe in life after death.
1. you have to prove that there is soul
2. you have to prove that soul is a seperate entity from your body.
3. you have to prove that soul is immortal
4. you have to prove that this soul is 'life' after death of the body
5. then can you prove life after death.

bah, too much stuff to prove, it hurts my rusted head.

Oh, btw, that I mean prove is not scientific prove (since it can prove nothing). I mean by any reasoning, any intellectual reasoning including sceientific prove, to prove life after death.

Life after death is a sweet thing to believe in; ignorance is a bliss.

As for god, I really don't care about its existence, since my knowing of its existences should have absolutely no effect on the way I live my live. Its existence matter not too me. Warning: I am not a thesis nor a athesis or in between. I am just screwed up.
"...pia fraus, the heritage of all those who have 'improved' mankind....ever doubted their right to tell lies. Nor did the doubt their posession of other rights..."
Xiao Gui
Cannibalistic Kitten

Unread postby Xiao Gui » Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:02 am

I will share my thoughts for a second.
The Ad Ignorantiam Fallacy: occurs whenever a conclusion is drawn or invited to be drawn, on the basis of an irrelevant appeal to ignorance. (When such an appeal is relevant, the argument is said to be a non-fallacious ad ignorantiam argument). More precisely, the fallacy occurs whenever refutations in the strong sense are confused with refutations in the weak sense.
Well, I committed this fallacy in my previous post by saying
[premise]The prove for life after death has not been found
[conclusion] Therefore, there is no life after death.
its almost like saying a cure for cancer hasn't been found; therefore, ther eis no cure for cancer.
My fallacious idea here is that, since life after death is not (yet) know, this alone is sufficient evidence to show that it will never exist.
On the other hand,
[premise]The non existence of life after death has not been proved
[conclusion]Therefore, life after death exists.
This doesn't work either.
On the other hand (the third hand) :neighbor: :
What I have presented above is my attempt to prove life after death by rational thinking. Wait, rational think is a fallacy itself...
Oy, go back to thinking...
"...pia fraus, the heritage of all those who have 'improved' mankind....ever doubted their right to tell lies. Nor did the doubt their posession of other rights..."
Xiao Gui
Cannibalistic Kitten

Unread postby James » Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:31 am

I do believe that death is not the end. It is not a belief reached from scientific research, or blind fait in any religion. I simply don’t suspect the universe is so chaotic, and that we all appear for a split second in universe history and then fade to black. I also do not believe in any concepts as solid as heaven and hell, I cannot fathom how we could be so certain of something like that. I am more open to the concept of reincarnation though.

Through everything I accept the fact that all said and done I do not know exactly what waits around the corner. I suppose I shall simply have to wait and see. If everything does end and we simply fade away, I suppose there is nothing to consider. That would be it, and there would be no further reflection. The concept seems so horrible because we don’t want to simply be nothing at some point, for there to be absolutely nothing at all with no awareness, but in reality it wouldn’t matter… there would be nothing. I am fairly certain that this won’t be the end though, as I said earlier I just don’t see the universe in that light.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Inhuman » Fri Dec 27, 2002 1:53 am

I believe people over analyze idea's like this. Some use every waking hour of every day looking answers to question's like these. But why? They find no answers in life so why try to explain it while living. I simply think that if there is an after-life or another chance at life in anyway, why not accept the things that you cannot answer and live your life the way you want (That being the way that makes you a happy person). Such a task as this shouldn't be undertaken while living. As James said we will all find out when we stop functioning(Die). Then we will have our answers, or maybe we won't since we wouldn't have any conscience thought if there is nothing after death. Anyway...

I'm perfectly content believing there is no after-life and this is our one and only run. But I wouldn't mind if I am wrong.
"If there were no rewards to reap, no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here, I certainly would've walked away by now." -Tool
Inhuman
Assistant

Location: Looking down on the masses from atop the Dark Tower

Unread postby Xiao Gui » Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:00 am

I'm perfectly content believing there is no after-life and this is our one and only run. But I wouldn't mind if I am wrong.

me too, :) , but I am masochistic in the way how I like to toy and torture with myself with idea like this. As how some religions can justify afterlife in a way that millions of people in the world believe in it, there must be a way to justify the non existence of afterlife (although I don't really care either way). To be able to form powerful arguements is my goal and I believe is also the purpose of this forum.
Hey, how did you come to the conclusion that after life does not exist? I am curious. :wink: [/quote]
Xiao Gui
Cannibalistic Kitten

Unread postby Inhuman » Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:23 am

Xiao Gui wrote:Hey, how did you come to the conclusion that after life does not exist? I am curious.

I assume your talking to me. Well, there are a few reasons but some may offend someone so I'll keep them to myself. But there's a huge flaw in after-life in my opinion. If there is an after-life that means every organism that ever lived goes to the next plane (After-life). Every, is not all humans, but every organism from the single celled amoeba to the green grass outside, to John Smith down the block, and everything else that lived somewhere in the universe during all of time. That number would be huge and it just seems well, impossible both from a religous and scientific standpoint :? .
"If there were no rewards to reap, no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here, I certainly would've walked away by now." -Tool
Inhuman
Assistant

Location: Looking down on the masses from atop the Dark Tower

Unread postby Travis » Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:52 am

There has to be, what's the point in living? Why don't I just reproduce, raise the kid until they can feed themselves and walk, then blow my brain out onto the wall? There has to be a higher point to justify life.
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:28 am

Taishi Ci wrote:There has to be, what's the point in living? Why don't I just reproduce, raise the kid until they can feed themselves and walk, then blow my brain out onto the wall? There has to be a higher point to justify life.

There are higher points to justify life, but I don't see how an afterlife would affect such a thing. Really, if a person behaves good only because he fears what's to come, well, that's not really any higher than trying to scrap up a living through any means possible. Truly good actions are selfless in intent, like the buddha feeding the hungry eagle.

I don't believe in an afterlife, mainly because I don't see how much a difference it would make in my daily operations. If I were diagnosed to have cancer, I'ld think about what I would do from that point on. There's no point worrying about having cancer beforehand. If I am going to die, I'll think about it when I die. There is no point thinking about it beforehand. Yeah, I know it sounds weird.

I can accept any theories of the underworld and afterlife, but I don't actively believe in any one of them.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy