Sexual Inequality

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Sexual Inequality

Unread postby Jonathan » Tue Jun 25, 2002 7:38 pm

How serious has sexual inequality become around the world? Woman in America still are not allowed combat positions in the Army, And many jobs are still "suitable for men only"(though to avoid lawsuit they never use those exact words). I in some ways think women should not be in combat positions, for the only reason that men will be far too distracted from what they need to focus on. My friend who joined in Military intelligence explained how distracted men were just in bastic training when they had a female in the visinity. I could of course be entirely wrong about this and it might not be a problem, but with as much as I do know I stand to this belief. However, in other jobs during everyday life (such as construction) women should have more equality.
Also known as Zhuge Xuanshi
"The problem with the gene pool is, there's no lifeguard."
-Steven Wright
Jonathan
Censored
Censored

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Tue Jun 25, 2002 8:01 pm

I remember discussing this with Lady Wu, a brilliant linguistic student in California. She told me that most men are afraid of smart women because they'd rather do the job themselves. I personally don't agree with that view, I'd rather a smart woman did a dumb man's job and visa versa. There are things women are better at and there are things men are better at, that's just the truth, but everyone should have equal oppotunity to get a job.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Dennis » Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:23 pm

I had this debate with my girlfriend and it was really long winded... I'll go into it in more detail if need be, but for now here is the jist of what I said.

Women are indeed equal to men, but no matter what feminists say, there is maternal instinct, and there is a biological clock, and only when women are able to supress these things, can their equality be represented on a social scale. Based on principal though, they are equal, a woman has been a PM in England, India, Norway, Canada, Sri Lanka, Indonese and tons of other places.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Tue Jun 25, 2002 10:25 pm

Zhou Lide wrote:I had this debate with my girlfriend and it was really long winded... I'll go into it in more detail if need be, but for now here is the jist of what I said.

Women are indeed equal to men, but no matter what feminists say, there is maternal instinct, and there is a biological clock, and only when women are able to supress these things, can their equality be represented on a social scale. Based on principal though, they are equal, a woman has been a PM in England, India, Norway, Canada, Sri Lanka, Indonese and tons of other places.

Add to that, England and the Netherlands are "ruled" by Queens since a long time.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby James » Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:18 am

Zhou Gongjin wrote:There are things women are better at and there are things men are better at, that's just the truth, but everyone should have equal oppotunity to get a job.

Like what? Do you mean there are things that one sex cannot do as well at as the other? Or are you speaking of averages?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:28 am

Zhuge Kongming wrote:Like what? Do you mean there are things that one sex cannot do as well at as the other? Or are you speaking of averages?

Like, in my opinion, women are way better caretakers and cleaners, whereas men are better for mindless labor.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Sun Ce » Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:41 am

Hardorking and physical is a big step away from mindless. I think it's unfair to target males as dim-witted brutes.
I think that song is the highest achievement of the living culture, don't you agree?
Sun Ce
Master

Unread postby James » Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:41 am

Zhou Gongjin wrote:Like, in my opinion, women are way better caretakers and cleaners, whereas men are better for mindless labor.

Hmmm... I suppose this is the norm, but hardly a defining limitation.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Ce » Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:55 am

There is a brighter side to all this though~! We could be where we were 60-70 years ago. *nods*
I think that song is the highest achievement of the living culture, don't you agree?
Sun Ce
Master

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:34 am

Sun Ce wrote:Hardorking and physical is a big step away from mindless. I think it's unfair to target males as dim-witted brutes.

Perhaps.

Zhuge Kongming wrote:Hmmm... I suppose this is the norm, but hardly a defining limitation.

I don't see anything wrong with it. Everyone should do what they are most comfortable with, not everyone wants to be out of the norm.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Next

Return to Current Affairs