New biography of Cao Cao

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

New biography of Cao Cao

Unread postby Medievalists.net » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:57 am

Rade de Crespigny's new book Imperial Warlord: A Biography of Cao Cao, has just been published. We did interview with the author, which you can find at http://www.medievalists.net/2010/08/29/interview-with-rafe-de-crespigny/

Mod Edit (James):
$248.00 pre-order at Amazon
$167.40 pre-order at Barnes & Noble
Medievalists.net
Tyro

Re: New biography of Cao Cao

Unread postby GuoBia » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:57 am

I saw that and I thought I was going to die! This is something I've been looking for for so long!!

My heart is beating so fast and I feel weak in the legs, hot and cold at the same time like I'm going to pass out. This is so exciting but I can't spend $248 right now!

Reading the interview it does seem that de Crespigny himself admits to getting to really like Cao Cao in the end. But hey, he's perfectly justified in saying so.

I can't speak for everyone, but because I can't read Chinese it seems that I'm rather dependent on de Crespigny for studies. I really can't find a lot of writings in-depth and analytical in English. This might be a bad thing, because then whatever he says I have to take for granted until someone else ala Lady Wu corrects me.

And look what he said about Liu Bei: "high-minded rhetoric to justify treachery and double-dealing." That is exactly what I hate so much about some people, Liu Bei included!

I'm going to save up. TwT If anything I think I'm going to fall in love with Cao Cao even MORE than I already have. This book will probably guarantee my life as a single woman now.
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:02 am

That is one huge price, not sure I can justify paying that as much as I am interested by it
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Rydain » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:24 am

Wow-ee. Not only will that biography give much insight into Cao Cao as a person, it should also be a valuable source of information about the military state of Wei, which I need for a writing project I'm planning. Consider it ordered. :D I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions after I have a chance to look through it.

Edit: Barnes & Noble has it for pre-order at $167.40, available September 1.
Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:46 am

Damnmit, why do I have to be a student with no money?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mestre Will » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Can be worse Sun Fin think in me i dont see a portuguese version of the book :cry: is no bad need read in another language.And for more i need import the book , all things imports to brazil you need pay 50-100% of import tax :rangry: .
Knowledge is achieved with time, but Intelligence is born with it or without it. - Mestre Will
Mestre Will
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:54 pm

Oh boy. I'm pretty excited about this. Cao Cao's my favorite and I would love to read what Rafe de Crespigny has to share about him. $248 is harsh, though. I imagine for that price it would be a touch choice to pick this over the Tome of Kickass. But since I already bit the bullet on that and it looks like Barnes & Noble is going to be competitive here, this looks pretty tempting.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby agga » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:57 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Damnmit, why do I have to be a student with no money?

Dong Zhou wrote:That is one huge price, not sure I can justify paying that as much as I am interested by it

guys, this is what libraries are for.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:13 pm

agga wrote:
guys, this is what libraries are for.

chances of the libraries in my county having it are about 0
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby James » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:14 pm

agga wrote:guys, this is what libraries are for.

Haha! Oh yeah, those things. And this would likely be an excellent candidate for the purpose given it will make for an excellent read (although likely great as an historic reference as well). I'll have to see if any of the libraries in my area even stock this sort of literature...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium