Guan Yu new bio

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Guan Yu new bio

Unread postby Guan Yan » Tue May 27, 2008 2:31 am

[deleted]

I have made many allterations and it is now on this site
www.3kingdomsrtk.myfreeforum.org
and nine dragons.
Last edited by Guan Yan on Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:25 am, edited 7 times in total.
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Guan Yu new bio

Unread postby Little_Phoenix » Tue May 27, 2008 3:10 am

hmmm i don't know Yue Fei is a big fan of Guan Yu :D :D ..i like Yue Fei a lot
"speedy like wind, gradually like forest, aggressively like fire, immovably like mountain" FUURINKAZAN
Little_Phoenix
Changshi

Unread postby Guan Yan » Tue May 27, 2008 3:19 am

Yes Yue Fei often said in his bio that he wanted a scholar to record his deeds as a warrior equal to his idol Guan Yu :D
Yuan shu you dare declare yourself emporor I shall bring the justice of the Han upon your head.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue May 27, 2008 6:41 am

What on earth was this translated from?

Or did you mean you wrote this based on translations and sources you have access to?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Guan Yan » Tue May 27, 2008 7:11 am

Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue May 27, 2008 7:31 am

Ok, a translation has to reflect an original source, and only that source, in a different language.

The thing you posted omits too much of the original SGZ text (for example, "河東解人也" in the first sentence, and the entire third sentence "先主為平原相,以羽、飛為別部司馬,分統部曲。") and has too much of your own commentary. The explanation of his name is not in SGZ (nor does it make any sense). And where did "Grand Minister Superintendent of Kulun" come from?

Yue Fei is not named in SGZ or ZZTJ (both books being compiled before Yue Fei was born).

What you have here is at most your own version of a biography for Guan Yu, based on various sources. Take a look at the two Guan Yu SGZ bio translations on KMA to get an idea of what an actual translation is like.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Guan Yan » Tue May 27, 2008 7:39 am

Lady Wu wrote:Ok, a translation has to reflect an original source, and only that source, in a different language.

The thing you posted omits too much of the original SGZ text (for example, "河東解人也" in the first sentence, and the entire third sentence "先主為平原相,以羽、飛為別部司馬,分統部曲。") and has too much of your own commentary. The explanation of his name is not in SGZ (nor does it make any sense). And where did "Grand Minister Superintendent of Kulun" come from?

Yue Fei is not named in SGZ or ZZTJ (both books being compiled before Yue Fei was born).

What you have here is at most your own version of a biography for Guan Yu, based on various sources. Take a look at the two Guan Yu SGZ bio translations on KMA to get an idea of what an actual translation is like.

No it has one part of commentary that should probably be in a note, That was my translation sorry it is different then yours :oops: My comment on Yue Fei was because i thought it would be interesting. It has more info on Guan Yu with my translation and parts of Guan Yu's history that is not mentioned in Sangozhi.
So I guess it will not be published because of your disaprovel :( If that is so please everybody still review my work please and I hope you can learn something out of it. :D I would still be happy if you wanted to put it on this site though. :)
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue May 27, 2008 8:59 am

There's nothing wrong with making a new translation. However, if you claim it's a translation, it should be just that---a translation of all the stuff and only the stuff found in the original, and at most some notes to explain technical terms or references that don't have direct correlations in the target language. Also, doing a translation requires a solid understanding of the original language and an appreciation of how its grammar works. Babelfish translations such as "The Guan Yu character is Cloud is long, the original form of character is immortal." have no place in a piece of published translation. Doing a word-by-word literal translation also runs the risk of misinterpreting the original text. For example, the "羽" in "羽書與諸葛亮" really refers to Guan Yu, rather than to a feather. Therefore, the sentence should read "Guan Yu wrote to Zhuge Liang" instead of "Guan Yu sent a military message with an attached feather as a sign of urgency to Zhuge Liang".

What you may want to do instead is to create an original biography for Guan Yu, based on historical sources available to you. In that case, you need to cite where you drew upon other people's work, and for each point you make, you need to explain where you got the information from. Else it'd be considered plagiarism. Great care must also be taken to separate out historically-recorded facts from personal opinion.

As for stylistics and grammar, I would recommend reading your writing out loud---providing you're a native speaker of English, you can catch most of your problematic/awkward sentences and grammatical errors by reading stuff out loud.
Lady Wu

Unread postby Guan Yan » Tue May 27, 2008 9:50 am

Lady Wu wrote:There's nothing wrong with making a new translation. However, if you claim it's a translation, it should be just that---a translation of all the stuff and only the stuff found in the original, and at most some notes to explain technical terms or references that don't have direct correlations in the target language. Also, doing a translation requires a solid understanding of the original language and an appreciation of how its grammar works. Babelfish translations such as "The Guan Yu character is Cloud is long, the original form of character is immortal." have no place in a piece of published translation. Doing a word-by-word literal translation also runs the risk of misinterpreting the original text. For example, the "羽" in "羽書與諸葛亮" really refers to Guan Yu, rather than to a feather. Therefore, the sentence should read "Guan Yu wrote to Zhuge Liang" instead of "Guan Yu sent a military message with an attached feather as a sign of urgency to Zhuge Liang".

That is his character though he did attach a Feather to the letter as a sign of urgencey it gives more info I wrote it differently in a more understandable way.

Lady Wu wrote:What you may want to do instead is to create an original biography for Guan Yu, based on historical sources available to you. In that case, you need to cite where you drew upon other people's work, and for each point you make, you need to explain where you got the information from. Else it'd be considered plagiarism. Great care must also be taken to separate out historically-recorded facts from personal opinion.

I dont really want to do that I was happy with what I had I felt it more understandable then others and more imformative. It was something I did and I am comfortable with it, and if anyone else is please give your opinion on it.
Guan Yan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue May 27, 2008 10:55 am

Lady Wu is right in being careful to avoid plagiarism, the personal opinion bits should be dropped. I can't comment on translation though you might want to find someone who can improve the presentation like paragraphs.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium