Aquinas' Photo Thread

Fan art, illustrations, poetry, music, photography, and more.

Aquinas' Photo Thread

Unread postby Aquinas » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:57 pm

Well, I've had my camera since mid-December of 2007 and I feel like I've managed to get over the initial learning curve. I was posting my photos in the "Digital Photos" thread, but I might as well create a new topic since I will most likely be posting many more. Photography has jumped to become my favourite hobby, and with good reason, as it is very fulfilling on a creative level.

That's the camera. It's a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I have the kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6), the 50mm f/1.8 prime that's mounted in the above image and the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. I plan to pick up a either a wide angle lens (since the kit lens isn't that good) or a telephoto lens sometime in the near future, but before I do that I want a good off camera flash (or two).

This thread exists for photos, so without further ado, here come the photos. I'll collect all of my previous ones from the other thread first, but since there will be quite a few I will post smaller thumbnails than usual. Click on them to see a larger copy.:

Some self portraits:

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Self portraits are always difficult, at least I find, because you don't have any control over composition, or at least not the same control as when you're technically behind the camera. You're not behind the viewfinder, which means that you can't move the camera or even focus on a specific part of the scene. I'd rather have my picture taken by me though, so that's why I like them. I'm simply not comfortable in front of a camera unless I am the one behind it.

The next batch will be my macro photos. Macro photography opens up a new world of possibilities when it comes to your subject. It's winter right now, so my preferred choice of subjects (plants and insects) are in short supply, but still life is always an option no matter the season.

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

As you can see depth of field is a concern when shooting at the macro level. Depending on the photo, this can be a good or bad thing. It's something that I am still working with at any rate. There is a program called Helicon Focus that can "stitch" together multiple photos in order to achieve a larger depth of field, but I think I'll wait until I have a tripod for that.

Next up will be HDR. High dynamic range photos combine multiple exposures into one image, which results in greater detail for both the shadows and highlights. I don't plan to do too many HDR photos any more, if only because the novelty has worn off.

ImageImage
ImageImage

The remaining batch are simply miscellaneous images that don't fall into the above three categories:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

I'll post further photos in this thread as I take them, but this first post served as an introduction and recap of the photos that I've previously posted.
Last edited by Aquinas on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:34 am, edited 8 times in total.
Aquinas
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aquinas » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:06 pm

Here we are again. I decided to put these in a new post since they'll utilize larger thumbnails and they haven't been displayed before.

Yes, I know that I mentioned in the other post that I wasn't going to process any more HDR images, but I was playing around with this photo of my leatherman charge and the titanium texture really came out well.

I was up one night and I was trying to think of a good macro subject. Well, I was eating strawberries, so why not?

So here I am outside of university hall at McMaster University with my camera. I walk past this ashtray and I have the sudden urge to take a picture. I think that it was worth all of the weird stares I received from people when they noticed me with my nose poked into a pile of ashes.

Another McMaster shot. I was waiting for a tutorial to start.

There were two swans and they kept hissing at me. I chose this photo out of many that were taken due to the water droplet and the reflection. Normally I like to shoot things off to the side, and not directly in the middle like this.
Last edited by Aquinas on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aquinas
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:06 am

Re: the ashtray — I'm tempted to say you've captured the essence of Hamilton. Keep shooting sir, this thread is definitely bookmark-worthy!
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:14 am

fruit basket is still best. Swan picture is a close second though.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lulu » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:38 pm

Very nice pictures. I can see why you want to continue photography, you're very good at it.
Wu, Shu, and Wei videos made with much love.
5 posts down http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13461 Enjoy :)
Lulu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aquinas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:29 am

Thanks for the comments.

ImageImage

I don't know what's up with the first picture. I imagine a random oxygen molecule stole my attention. The next two images are rather abstract.

Last edited by Aquinas on Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aquinas
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TheRealWolfman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:07 am

These're pretty good. I have an uncle/cousin who is a photographer, I can't remember though if he's freelance or he works for a local newspaper, but he's good I know that.
Semper Fi on the God Most High.
TheRealWolfman
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Master Kong » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Oh wow, they are abstract. Who knew rugs could be so...intense?

Keep it up mayn.
"Ford, you are turning in to an infinite number of penguins. Stop it."
Master Kong
Scholar

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:06 am

Awesome work, Aquinas.

Love the swan picture, it has a certain tranquil beauty to it. :D
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Ricky » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:31 am

Ah, these have been taken very nicely. Well done! I really like that Swan picture as the best so far.
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Artistic Expression and Illustration