Destiny of an Emperor 2.0: Cao Cao Edition (BETA AVAILABLE!)

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Destiny of an Emperor 2.0: Cao Cao Edition (BETA AVAILABLE!)

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:23 am

Destiny of an Emperor 2.0: Cao Cao Edition Beta 1 Released!
Whew! It took nearly two years of working, off and on, to research all the changes made in this mod and ‘complete’ it (to beta satisfaction), but the wait has been worth it—it is finally here! I’ve completed the mod from start to finish with numerous new scripts, new storylines, and plenty of unexpected developments to provide an entirely new experience. Not only that, I’ve gone back through original levels to apply revisions and updates, brining the whole game up to a single standard. Now we begin the downhill ride to the final release for everyone to enjoy. I hope quite a few of you download and experience the Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 Cao Cao Edition mod!

Image Image

Testing
As your eyes will be the first ones looking over many game changes outside my own, there is a good chance you might catch things which I have missed. And there is still plenty of room left for suggestions. Please pay careful attention to game balance and scripts. Watch for incorrect officer names (such as Wu Tugu instead of LIu Bei). Watch for spelling errors. Was a script poor? Let me know so I can revise it! Was a battle too difficult or too easy? Did something leave you with a sour feeling? Did you find something to be particularly cool or fun? These are all things I would love to hear about!
In testing the script, please talk to everyone. Please re-visit areas to read revised scripts. Thank you!
And remember—it isn’t too late to make game changes and fun adjustments. I’m still interested in your ideas and feedback. Even large game changes might be considered if viable and worthwhile. After having spent so much time on this project I don't mind spending a little more to make it even better.

Features
Coming soon…

Release Notes
Important notes which are relevant to previous discussion.

• I took a different approach with Dian Wei's soldiers. What do you think?
  • Xiahou Dun and Xiahou Yuan cannot be placed into billeting due to an unhandled exception.
  • The MTP values have been adjusted to counter-balance the loss of two tactics and make it easier to play the game without focusing on resets. You can still do it if you like, but you can get good final values even without restarting. MTP gains now range from 4–6 instead of 3–5.

Hints and Tips
Gameplay hints and suggestions.

• Always use the latest armor when possible.
  • Elixirs can help in a few stretches of the game.
  • Guard is an extremely dangerous enemy tactic.
  • Note enemy generals with Negate when using tactics like Guard, Thwart and Evade.
  • High intelligence officers can be extremely helpful early in the game while dealing with enemies like Taishi Ci, Lu Bu, Dong Zhuo, Zhang Fei, Ji Ling and others.
  • Later in the game low-intelligence officers can become a considerable liability as enemy tactics are much more dangerous, but don't forsake strength in your party.
  • By the time you reach Yuan Shu’s territory Resurrects should be well stocked.
  • Do not forget the Trident in Nanyang. Give it to a 1,000+ soldier warrior.
  • Do not forget to buy Wood Hs in Wan as soon as Ma Chao joins.
  • Use surplus money to purchase Power Pills. Plan their use (Zeal + Wang Shuang or Wen Chou + 1,000 soldiers + Power Pill = roughly 1,000 soldiers damage in a single blow).
  • Smoke Pots will help to survive long trips and caves.
  • Expect some surprises in battles. Some old DoaE rules have been broken.
  • Re-evaluate each tactic as you learn it. Many have been adjusted, sometimes considerably.
  • Get to know your tacticians. They offer greater variety than they ever have before.
  • Get to know new officers. Some might offer unique surprises.
  • If you are stuck, consider new strategies with your tactics, or gain a few levels. A key tactic might soon become available (such as Guard when entering Jingzhou).

Download: Destiny of an Emperor 2.0: Cao Cao Edition (v1.0b)
Last edited by James on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:08 am, edited 8 times in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Re: Destiny of an Emperor 2.0: Cao Cao (Planning)

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:22 am

James wrote:It is odd, though, for Zhuge Liang to attack and betray Liu Bei.

It won't be odd once you've played the blue storyline of LoCC. :twisted:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:47 am

Lady Wu wrote:It won't be odd once you've played the blue storyline of LoCC. :twisted:

Haha. Now was the blue storying the friendly person path, or the mean bad-ass path? If the Lu Bu mod is any indication, I can only imagine that Zhuge Liang betraying Liu Bei is just one small part of a terrible traumatizing picture. :lol:
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:06 am

James wrote:Haha. Now was the blue storying the friendly person path, or the mean bad-ass path? If the Lu Bu mod is any indication, I can only imagine that Zhuge Liang betraying Liu Bei is just one small part of a terrible traumatizing picture. :lol:

It's the non-badass path.

I wouldn't say it's traumatizing, but it's definitely chilling to see unfold. ;)

I was wondering if it'd work to have the Xiahous as Zhang Fei and Guan Yu, and Cao Cao as Liu Bei. They were almost brothers, after all. After the unification of Ba-Shu, Xiahou Dun and Xiahou Yuan can be replaced by two of the better second-generation Xiahous (Mao, for example ;)).

Unless you need to keep the "five tigers" stuff, in which case you'd have to find a way to get the Wei Five in there.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:57 am

Yeah, I’ve considered replacing Zhang Fei and Guan Yu with Xiahou Dun and Xiahou Yuan. They really would be fine replacements for Guan Yu and Zhang Fei. I’ve just wondered if it would make people sad to lose Yuan and Dun half way through the game. Of course, people are generally pretty sad to lose Zhang Fei and Guan Yu, too, but at least they are replaced with hyped up portrait-endowed children.

Then again, who could lament the acquisition of Xiahou Mao? :lol:
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:18 am

My suggestion:

Turn Liu Bei into Cao Cao
Guan Yu into Xiahou Dun
Zhang Fei into Xiahou Yuan
Song Ren into Cao Hong
Song Yong into Cao Ren
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:00 pm

It'd require some tinkering with the storyline, probably, but why not turn Huang Zhong and Wei Yan into Zhang He and Gao Lan? That's the highest profile defector pair that joined Wei that I can think of. Zhang He can fill Huang Zhong's role, while Gao Lan's lesser stats could be offset by a fixed higher number of soldiers (similar to Wei Yan).

I'd suggest swapping Zhang Liao in for Zhao Yun, too. I notice you didn't mention Zhao Yun yet.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:22 pm

Sun Gongli, that’s a pretty great template suggestion. :)

Xiahou Mao wrote:It'd require some tinkering with the storyline, probably, but why not turn Huang Zhong and Wei Yan into Zhang He and Gao Lan? That's the highest profile defector pair that joined Wei that I can think of. Zhang He can fill Huang Zhong's role, while Gao Lan's lesser stats could be offset by a fixed higher number of soldiers (similar to Wei Yan).

I'd suggest swapping Zhang Liao in for Zhao Yun, too. I notice you didn't mention Zhao Yun yet.

Zhang Liao for Zhao Yun makes a lot of sense.

Zhang He and Gao Lan, huh? That’s not a bad suggestion—simply in terms of having two people around who can make a difference. Jingzhou... Cai Mao doesn't quite make sense that soon. Would Gao Lan be cool even with a bunch of soldiers? Too bad they are in Jingzhou, there's always Xu You...
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:25 pm

You could turn Jingzhou into Liu Biao's area and then have Cai Mao (and someone else) join where Huang Zhong / Wei Yan do.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:39 pm

Lordyuanshu wrote:You could turn Jingzhou into Liu Biao's area and then have Cai Mao (and someone else) join where Huang Zhong / Wei Yan do.

Hmm... that’s actually a pretty good idea.
Some extra work, but it makes sense given the objective. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games