Destiny of an Editor

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Destiny of an Editor

Unread postby Niahak » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:01 am

Destiny of an Editor, as the name implies, is an officer editor for Destiny of an Emperor. This has been a project of mine over the past month - in fact, today is exactly one month from when I first thought of the idea as possible.

This is not a full-featured ROM editor (lacking text/event/etc editing). Coupled with some knowledge of the ROM and hex editing, though, you can at least change a few key pieces of text (as in James' DoaE 2.0) to complement changes to officer names and stats.

Currently, DoaEd is still in beta, but it has been tested and works fairly reliably. If you have any problems, please let me know so I can fix them!

Latest version is available here.

Directions:
1) Load a valid DoaE ROM (not included).
2) Click on an officer's name.
3) Change that officer's stats and name as desired.
4) Click "Save" to save changes to that officer.
5) Repeat 2-4 for each officer. There is no error accounting for using *too much* space - generally I would say it would lead to Very Bad Things. However, it does tell you how much space is left.
6) When you're ready to save the new ROM, click File->Export to ROM. I recommend saving it in a new file and testing, just in case it still isn't all working.

Oh, and some additional info:
    Agility is never shown in the game, but it affects order during a round.

Region determines where the officer is found in random encounters, but does not affect when you can recruit them. If you have them in your party, you won't find them in random encounters.

Sprites are mostly listed by their most memorable (or recognizable) character - most of these were given their names by James.

Sprite color is a value that also affects A.P. when you fight them as an enemy officer, so there are numbers by each color set. For allies, it doesn't matter.

There are multiple leveling schemes in the Soldier drop-downs. These are used for the 5 Tigers, Zhuge Liang, and Jiang Wei. Any character can be made to level. Additional schemes seem to exist in the ROM but are unpredictable.

Highest Tactic determines the highest possible tactic an enemy officer can use. It is also bounded by INT, though - for example, you could give Cheng Yuanzhi access to all tactics, but he can't use any because he's not smart enough.

Portrait values are, yes, raw hex. It's not recommended to mess with these at random, but you can keep track of them to build portraits (like I did with Cao Cao's below).

Portrait Background is usually white for the "special" characters (Liu Bei, Zhao Yun etc). You can give them other colors, but they affect the palette. For an example, see the Yuan Shu mod.

Generally: Many values are listed as "Unknown" with a hex value, particularly in portrait backgrounds. Usually these correspond to known values, but are listed separately because they may have unknown side effects.

Now for some pictures! (reposted from James' Doae2.0 thread)

Last edited by Niahak on Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:36 pm

Portrait Background is usually white for the "special" characters (Liu Bei, Zhao Yun etc). You can give them other colors, but they affect the palette. For an example, see the Yuan Shu mod.

It's great. Like this in the Liu Zhang mod.

or this

Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:19 am

What changed in the new version? :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Niahak » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:34 am

Not a whole lot from the old; lots of cleanup stuff. Mostly error reporting, and this version will also check to make sure you don't try and put an @ into the officer's name.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby James » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:02 am

Cool. I’ve been using it in Leopard under Parallels to make final adjustments to Destiny of an Emperor 2.0 as I go through the game, and it has worked just fine. Always a good thing to see.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby caprontos » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:37 pm

is it still possible to get this?

I PMed Niahak yesterdays but didn't say nothing or read it.. so I don't know...

I'd like to try it. if its gone then oks

thanks..
caprontos
Tyro

Unread postby James » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:52 pm

Here’s the 0.8 beta:
http://www.niahak.org/images/DOAE/DoaEditorv08.zip

It fixes a nasty Tao Qian bug.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby caprontos » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:08 am

many thanks :D

I play with it now :D
caprontos
Tyro

Unread postby Niahak » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:41 pm

Yep, sorry about that. At home for the holidays, so I only occasionally have internet. I've fixed the link on the first post.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby caprontos » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:51 am

I don't know how possible but I just thought of this... a "swap" option... like say you want Zhang Fei to be Ling Tong (when you start the game) for some reason... make it so you can swap there data (like all Zhang Fei's go to Ling Tongs spot and all Ling Tongs gose to Zhang Fei) rather then having to edit them both out and back in..

I don't know how people make Mods of games ( I've done some Sprite editing but not a lot.. and I tried to text hack before but I can't figure that out :P) so this maybe a completely pointless thing.. but for someone like me who just wants to mix up the characters a bit could more easily

--
it took me a few tries to get it to work but I got it :P I made Song Ren and Song Young (I think) a horse and the Tiger haha with 40k troops.. and... bad idea as I had no food in a few steps.. haha and I had completely forgotten about the food.. I was trying to remember if there was poison in the game with how the screen was flashing..

if I try to make someone have 50k troops I get an error.. is that just because its above max?

I need to play with it more thou I only did for like a half hour to an hour..
caprontos
Tyro

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games