Scholarships

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Scholarships

Unread postby Jonathan » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:17 am

The scholarship is intended to help a capable student get a foot on a future career, a scholarship is intended to help young high school teens, become the future leaders of America. But is it being directed to the right people, to the “academic scholars”, the students who truly have the grades, citizenship, and intelligence, as well as commitment, towards such a goal. But lately I have been paying attention to the reality in such an achievement, this achievement has become and award. An award dedicated towards extracurricular activities. Sports athletes, more high school football players, with in many ways a much lower academic performance. Are being awarded these “trophies”. I believe the scholarship has gone downhill, and many people have forgotten, or neglected its true value. Since when did sports give you a pass in life?
Also known as Zhuge Xuanshi
"The problem with the gene pool is, there's no lifeguard."
-Steven Wright
Jonathan
Censored
Censored

Unread postby Ryubbi » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:19 am

Since it became big business. College football and basketball bring millions of dollars to the best schools. Everything is about money these days. Then the NCAA came out with the rule that you have to match women and men's scholarships, so women's sports get scholarships (which are a liability to the vast majority of schools).
Kids who get A's are a dime a dozen; kids who run 4.3 40's are what all universities really want.
men are drawn to a leader of great virtue / it was for that reason I followed Liu Bei
Ryubbi
Master

Unread postby Wen Choung » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:59 am

There is too much emphasis on sports in anything these days. I receive a scholarship for my school, but it is really based more on my grades than anything else. I've heard of these sports scholarships and I do think that it is the wrong idea behind it.

Like what Ryubbi said, it just business and all about money. Only a handful of people are really going to become athletes when compared to the rest of the collegiate population. Unless this same handful is going to be recipents of scholarships, there would be a lot of misdirected money.

I think that the "true value" of scholarships is to provide LOWER INCOME (my meaning low or middle) families with the opportunity to succeed. IMHO, it's the lower income families that make the state/country/world. My observation is that it's the lower class that works hard and has a good work ethic. Rich people live off of their bank accounts and whatever kinds of funds they have. For the most part, the rich work less but get paid more while the poorer people work more but get paid less than the rich. Considering myself in the lower portion or society (we aren't exactly poor, but we aren't exactly loaded either), I've always imagined rich people just living in huge houses and sitting on their rears not doing anything. Of course I can't say that every single rich person does that, but for the most part, that is what I picture in my head.

Since I think that only a few is needed to "rule" (meaning to lead and guide) the many, I think that many scholarships would be expendable in the search for worthy people. Maybe not in the near future, but sooner or later, people who work hard and has been given more opportunities because of scholarships would be ones making a real difference in the world, not the world records.
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:33 am

Ryubbi hit the nail right on the head; sports is big business, ergo they get most of the attention. College programs can easily afford to give out full scholarships to good athletes, because the money they bring to the program far outnumbers the money tuition costs....but what, exactly, does the intellectual student bring to the university (in monetary terms)? Not much, so it seems nowadays colleges lean far more towards bringing in athletes: like it was said, it's just smart business. It's also wrong, imo.

Wen Choung wrote:I think that the "true value" of scholarships is to provide LOWER INCOME (my meaning low or middle) families with the opportunity to succeed. IMHO, it's the lower income families that make the state/country/world. My observation is that it's the lower class that works hard and has a good work ethic. Rich people live off of their bank accounts and whatever kinds of funds they have. For the most part, the rich work less but get paid more while the poorer people work more but get paid less than the rich. Considering myself in the lower portion or society (we aren't exactly poor, but we aren't exactly loaded either), I've always imagined rich people just living in huge houses and sitting on their rears not doing anything. Of course I can't say that every single rich person does that, but for the most part, that is what I picture in my head.

I agree with your sentiment about the poor blue collar worker working harder for less wages, and rich folks doing less for far more, but it's all relative. The job the lawyer does may not be physically difficult, but it has all kinds of other difficulties that come along with it to warrant such high pay. Therefore, I don't necessarily agree that the rich just sit around on their rears; they just do their toils differently. (Btw, I come from a very poor family, and am just now getting my head above water...)
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Jeffro » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:18 am

Wen Choung wrote:I think that the "true value" of scholarships is to provide LOWER INCOME (my meaning low or middle) families with the opportunity to succeed. IMHO, it's the lower income families that make the state/country/world. My observation is that it's the lower class that works hard and has a good work ethic. Rich people live off of their bank accounts and whatever kinds of funds they have. For the most part, the rich work less but get paid more while the poorer people work more but get paid less than the rich. Considering myself in the lower portion or society (we aren't exactly poor, but we aren't exactly loaded either), I've always imagined rich people just living in huge houses and sitting on their rears not doing anything. Of course I can't say that every single rich person does that, but for the most part, that is what I picture in my head.

I disagree- while a beauracracy is pretty hard to avoid in any industrialized nation- they got there because of some kind of Wise decision in their family history (look at the Kennedys.. who would've figured that a ban on alcohol could've laid the way for one of the wealthiest families in america). It is very true that many of the rich today are there just because of Inheritance, but if you go back a few generations, that inheritance was made simply so the descendants of whoever worked hard for the money would be able to rest on their laurels.
Jeffro
Initiate

Unread postby Wen Choung » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:15 pm

Exactly, Jeffro. That was a point I missed to specify, but I did have that in mind too. I think someday, as the richer people "decline," the hard workers will then have the chance to rise above the rest and the cycle continues. Is there any correctness to being rich or poor? I don't know, but it is just the way life goes.
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:38 am

As being a student working towards a (academic) scholarship, I don't mind the atheletic scholarships--sometimes. I know some guys and girls who work really hard to get good grades, but seem to just do better athletically. This makes me think it is because they are involved in sports. Meaning, it could take up much of their time and leave inadequite time for studying and the like. I think to a get a scholarship, you should really have to earn it. If you spend 3-4 hours each night doing homework, and barely finishing before bed, that should be part of it. Now you all know where I've been the last few weeks.... :cry:
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:36 pm

For the purposes of reviving this thread, I'm going to hijack it and steer it off the course of sports scholarships for a while.

I just found out today that I have been awarded the SSHRC CGS, or the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council's Canada Graduate Scholarship for my M.A. degree in English literature starting in September. This scholarship is good for one year, and it's worth $17500. Needless to say, I am thrilled beyond belief because this is such a huge help to an otherwise financially strapped university student.

These scholarships are awarded by the Canadian government, who only gives out so many of them. Because of this, the application procedure is annoying and the competition is somewhat stiff. The main part of the application was a detailed abstract of the research I plan to do while I am studying for my M.A. Anyway, I believe that 10 of the scholarships were awarded to M.A. students in my province of New Brunswick.

The funny part is that my girlfriend was also one of the winners!

I'm obviously very excited about this and just had to come on and vent.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:51 pm

Congratulations, Kong and Jen!

Join the ranks of SSHRC holders. 8-)

PS: One should never compare the monetary value of a SSHRC (maybe even NSERC) scholarship to that of an NSF. Of course, grad school in Canada is so much more affordable than in the US...
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:08 pm

Lady Wu wrote:PS: One should never compare the monetary value of a SSHRC (maybe even NSERC) scholarship to that of an NSF. Of course, grad school in Canada is so much more affordable than in the US...

Thanks Lady Wu! Three cheers for the (relative) affordability of grad school in Canada. Even so, without this boost, I could never afford to go to school next year. I'd be a mill worker for good. :cry:
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy