Power vs Speed

Koei’s Dynasty Warriors game series. Discuss and enjoy!

Power of Speed?

Power
39%
Speed
61%

Total votes : 49

Power vs Speed

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:19 pm

Okay here has been a topic agrue alot between me and xiahou jia which do you think is better? power of speed?
I personally think power is. no one equips a speed scroll in chaos mode you got a horse to do what speed does =/
I find people with power more challenging
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Roy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:03 pm

I agree, I think power is a much better advantage. You can use a horse or items to get around fast.
For those of you who play or have played nation states, I am the Infamous Lord Watkins.

Ha Ha Ha Ha,
Roy
Changshi

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:18 pm

Speed for me boys, more useful when you're really low on life, believe me!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:21 pm

but u cant just crowd kill and gain back that musou instead of running like a coward. or use dragon arms to run away like xing cai and xu zhu and charge attack dragon arms. once your done with ur musou.... a crowd is going to go at you
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:25 pm

I do equip the lev 20 speed scroll for most of the characters. I do prefer light weapons for everybody but Ling Tong and I always customize my XL weapons with +20 speed attribute.
OK, here my arguments
1. Good speed allows you to flank an AI general. By the term "flanking" I mean running towards the approaching generals but a bit to the right of them and attacking at the moment when he is to the left of you. The AI never stops,blocks or changes its path (Zhuge Liang and Lu Xun are exceptions because they certainly abuse JC) if you are fast enough. Trying to do that with a slow character and slow first attack is very difficult.
2. I also fond of riding Red Hare but I use it not as transport but as a...musou filler :) Basic horse tactic: trample forward+hold L1 and move backwards is absolutely safe no matter how huge the crowd is. Fill your musou with normal or charge attacks and dismount.
Now here speed gives you another tactical advantage. You probably noticed that if you dismount while riding a horse it will not immediately stop and knock down anybody but hypergeneral or commander. The AI never blocks the horse and usually tries to recover with a backflip. If you're fast enough you can never let him recover.
3. Some characters have huge problems because of their crappy 3rd normal attacks. Zhang Liao and Xiahou Dun are the examples. Dun is much faster in both moving and attacking and despite of the shorter reach and range of his first attacks (compared to Zhang Liao) he is much less likely to be hit during the time between S2 and S4.
Finally there's Ling Tong's famous C4. The first 3 attacks are far from being great but because they are so fast the AI very rarely manage to do anything.
4. Being ultrafast is... to make fun of Lu Bu :lol: Ok, here is my favourite example: Lu Xun with +40 speed against the ultimate warrior, who has only one weakness - slow rate of attacks. If you hold L1 and move backwards you'll be surprised to notice that Lu Xun is moving with the same speed as Lu Bu strafing on Red Hare. Now the real fun starts if you force Lu Bu to dismount. Despite the awesome reach of the sky skorcher Lu Bu, who is by the way not a slow character himself, cannot get you if you keep strafing backwards. Eventually he will give up the chase. Now if you're play DW5 a lot then you certainly know all of Lu Bu's attacks especially their range (e.g. from left to right or otherwise) and you know his limits like the 3rd vertical attack or the nearly horizontal 2nd attack. To put simply Lu Xun is running faster than Lu Bu is swinging his weapon. If you move in the right direction you can avoid his hits, jump over them - become a master of evasion :D This is VERY hard but it is possible.
5. Actually, it's the same as #3, but in more detail :oops: . Speed affects the rate of attacks of the characters. My favourite example is Xiahou Yuan with his C1. Equip him with a light XL weapon (speed+20, bow+20,attack+20 and any other attributes) and the following items: lev20 Tiger Amulet, lev20 Huang's Bow, Green Scroll, Ice/Fire arrows, lev20 Speed Scroll. With a light weapon, +40 speed and fire arrows Yuan can fight even if he's attacked from 3 sides (N,NE and NW) not allowing the crowd to get too close him.
Now give him a heavy weapon and no speed boosters. Looks like it's time to maneuver/block/musou :wink:
Speed allows you to create some combos. The Musou Rage is a good example because the rate of your attacks is incredible. For example, if you've mastered Dun's C1 than you've notice that he can juggle the AI generals with his C1 while in Musou Rage. What's good about it? The good thing is that you "transport" the AI general out of his combat zone. The commanders, Lu Bu at Hu Lao and probably Ma Chao at Bai Di (not completely tested yet, but he does stop chasing you at the same point) are all tied to their combat zones. Once they are out of it, they will try to get back and they will never block or fight back until they return "home".
6. Archers and sorcerors especially when scattered. This ain't fun, ain't fun at all, absolutely no fun if you control Xu Zhu, Pang De, Zhang Fei :x Unless you give them +20 or even +40 speed :D
Do what you believe is right and don't be distracted by praises or insults.
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:37 pm

I just think of Power and Speed and I think of facing people on Chaos and remember playing as Zhang Fei, at one point my life was so low facing a general and I couldn't run away, he's so slow, so so slow and then pow!! I hates slow people!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:23 pm

SunXia wrote:I just think of Power and Speed and I think of facing people on Chaos and remember playing as Zhang Fei, at one point my life was so low facing a general and I couldn't run away, he's so slow, so so slow and then pow!! I hates slow people!!
You fight back you don't run -.- I don't depend on running becuase i get mauled down. xiahou jia i see you rquip green scroll and tiger amulet :D you seem to say speed matters but Power matters more =D
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Unread postby JamesD » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:42 pm

Power definatly, I think it will help you in the long run of a battle.
JamesD
Langzhong

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:05 am

Shadowlink wrote:
SunXia wrote:I just think of Power and Speed and I think of facing people on Chaos and remember playing as Zhang Fei, at one point my life was so low facing a general and I couldn't run away, he's so slow, so so slow and then pow!! I hates slow people!!
You fight back you don't run -.- I don't depend on running becuase i get mauled down. xiahou jia i see you rquip green scroll and tiger amulet :D you seem to say speed matters but Power matters more =D

Well, I need something to fill all the items slots :) Green Scroll and Tiger Amulet are definitely more valuable than useless defence items such as Tortoise Amulet, Peacock Amulet, Charge Bracer, Meat Bun Sack, Tribal Remedy, Vampire Guards and so on.
Do what you believe is right and don't be distracted by praises or insults.
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shadowlink » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:13 am

so if 2 type of speed scrolls come out you would pick it over power?
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Next

Return to Dynasty Warriors Training