Three Kingdoms Tactics development thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Three Kingdoms Tactics development thread

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Tue May 09, 2006 7:09 am

Right now, the game's still a long ways off, but I figured I'd throw some bones you guys' way:

- There are over 650 officers, starting with Ahui Nan and ending with Zuofa Zhangba.

- In addition, there will be an officer editor that allows you to set officer's stat's manually as well as create new officers. There will be some unused portraits you can use to give them their own unique look.

- Each of the Three Kingdoms (I'm lumping Jin with Wei, but their campaign will be playable) has 26 (possibly more if I can find some decent Shu folk, they're pretty low on decent officers and I want to keep it balanced) unique characters with their own portrait and personality. In addition, there will be at least four endings for each kingdom.

- The game will feature completely original music and graphics. (I also need help making unit sprites.)

- There will be over 100 historical battles represented. You can also create your own battles and share them with friends - you can use any officer from any kingdom for any side. (This is also the only way to use your own original officers.)

- The following forces will have campaigns:

Wei/Jin
Wu
Shu
Yuan Shao
Yuan Shu
Gongsun Zan
Dong Zhuo
Lü Bu
Yellow Turbans

- Here is the roster by force (recommendations welcome, but fictional characters such as Zhou Cang and Guan Suo will not be included)

Wei

Cao Cao
Xiahou Dun
Xiahou Yuan
Cao Hong
Cao Ren
Li Dian
Yue Jin
Guo Jia
Yu Jin
Dian Wei
Xu Chu
Xu Huang
Zhang Liao
Jia Xu
Cao Pi
Zhang He
Cao Zhen
Man Chong
Sima Yi
Pang De
Guo Huai
Cao Rui
Deng Ai
Sima Yan
Yang Hu
Du Yu

Shu

Liu Bei
Zhang Fei
Guan Yu
Zhao Yun
Liu Feng
Zhuge Liang
Guan Ping
Liao Hua
Pang Tong
Huang Zhong
Wei Yan
Guan Xing
Zhang Bao
Yan Yan
Fa Zheng
Ma Liang
Ma Su
Zhang Yi (Bogong)
Ma Chao
Ma Dai
Wang Ping
Liu Chan
Jiang Wei
Xiahou Ba
Fu Qian
Zhuge Zhan

Wu

Sun Jian
Cheng Pu
Han Dang
Huang Gai
Sun Ce
Lü Fan
Lü Meng
Zhou Yu
Lu Su
Jiang Qin
Zhou Tai
Ling Tong
Taishi Ci
Sun Quan
Zhu Ran
Sun Jiao
Zhuge Jin
Lu Xun
Xu Sheng
Sun Shao
Ding Feng
Gan Ning
Zhu Huan
Quan Cong
Lu Kang
Sun Hao

Yuan Shao

Yuan Shao
Wen Chou
Yan Liang
(Zhang He)

Dong Zhuo

Dong Zhuo
Xu Rong
Hua Xiong

Yuan Shu

Yuan Shu
Ji Ling

Gongsun Zan

Gongsun Zan
(Zhao Yun)

Lü Bu

Lü Bu
Gao Shun
(Zhang Liao)

Yellow Turbans

Zhang Jiao
Zhang Bao
Zhang Liang

Other (No campaigns, free mode only)

Liu Biao
Huang Zu
Liu Zhang
Ma Teng
Meng Huo
Wu Tugu

Possible additions

Wu: Bu Zhi
Wei: Xun Yu
Shu: ??? (Suggestions go here!)
Other: N/A

- Here are some officer portraits. I'm doing them in a cutesy deformed style, which I think works rather well.

The omnipresent Jiang Qin

Cao Ren says what?

The very very friendly Zhuge Jin

Angry generic officer (in Wu garb) - but I like him so much I might make him into someone specific
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Jordan » Tue May 09, 2006 7:28 am

Sun Jian should be under Yuan Shu in my opinion but I can understand if you wouldn't do that. Other than that it looks pretty good. I like the Zhuge Jin. I wish you'd replace somebody from Wu with Zhuge Ke but if you don't want to, again it's your prerogative. Also I think Wen Yang and Wang Shuang should be in Wei for their awesomeness (maybe replacing Cao Hong and Yang Hu or something) and Meng Da should definitely be in there somewhere, either under Liu Zhang, Shu, Wei or all of them. Meng Da should have a sly look on his face. A very Machiavellian look would suit him.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue May 09, 2006 7:31 am

So, the three kingdoms are going to have 26 unique officers each, and then some generic (but named) officers? How many unique officers do the other forces (Yuan Shao, Dong Zhuo) get, if any? Are the officers listed in your rosters above the only dudes they get?
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Tue May 09, 2006 7:55 am

SlickSlicer: You'll be happy to know that there are pathlines for Yuan Shu's campaign in which Sun Jian/Sun Ce is one of his officers for the whole duration of the campaign (as a matter of fact, all of Wu pretty much serves Yuan Shu in those paths, but the focus is on Yuan Shu's other officers most of the time). As for Zhuge Ke, he was considered, and if I raise the limit to 28 or so (which I've considered doing), he's definitely on. Same with Wen Yang, because he's always impressed me, and Wang Shuang was actually considered but left out in favor of Yang Hu. I'm not opposed to raising the character count, but the only thing is, there are so few worthy Shu officers that I'd have to really stretch to fill their roster. Meng Da would help, especially since I've already granted a spot to Liu Feng, but then again, he changes loyalties so much that he's hard to classify.

Kong Wen: The officers listed above are just the ones with unique appearances. Again, there are 650 officers, each with their own stats and abilities. So you can expect to see the likes of Tian Feng, Qiao Rui, Mi Fang, and even He Man. They just will have generic appearances (though the repetition will be broken up by color variants and six different generic officer appearances). There will actually be many, many generic officers - in the case of latter kingdoms, the generics will actually outweigh the uniques greatly. For instance, take a look at the officers on Liu Yao's side at the Battle of Danyang, 194:

Liu Yao
Xu Shao
Zhang Ying
Zhu Hao
Yu Mi
Fan Neng
Zhou Xin
Xu Gong
Ze Rong
Xue Li
Chen Heng
Taishi Ci
Zu Lang

As you can see, only Taishi Ci is unique. Granted, most of the other chaps will only appear in this battle, but the generics play as large a role as the uniques in some cases, and they're far more numerous. If I could, every officer would have their own unique apperance, but that's 650 portraits, and right now, I'm one of two people working on the project.

Also, I may add more to the other forces, though I also forgot to lump Jia Xu in with Dong Zhuo and Liao Hua in with the Yellow Turbans.
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Zhang Lu » Fri May 19, 2006 4:32 pm

IIRC, Zhong Hui defected from Wei and joined Shu at the recommendation of Jiang Wei, and tried his own northern invasion after the death of Jiang Wei. Maybe you could add him to Shu :)

Also, I'd give thought to Wu's Zhu Zhi. He wasn't as useless as we all think he was :P
Zhang Lu
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Fri May 19, 2006 4:48 pm

Zhu Zhi certainly wasn't useless, and his stats will reflect that, but it's a matter of balance: Wu, from the start, already has a loaded deck of unique characters while Shu and Wei are a little behind. In Shu's case, most of the people you find early are people like Sun Qian, Mi Zhu, and Jian Yong; Sun Jian is fortunate enough to get Cheng Pu, Huang Gai, and Han Dang, all right from the start. Don't worry, though... Zhu Zhi, even with a generic appearance, will still be important to Wu (he's planned to appear in a few cutscenes as well).
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby bombshellboi » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:34 pm

Woo.

I really hope you get some additional help on this cos id love to play a Yuan Shu campaign - every time I play RTK 8 (cos im in the UK) I either play a created officer of Yuan Shu.
Ive only twice played another force and they were Gongsun Zan to see if I could defeat Yuan Shao (and I did) and the Yellow Turbans to see if I could defeat the Han (and I did setting up Zhang Jiao as the new Yuan Emperor).

On that note id like to request Zhang Xun get his own unique look if possible - that way Yuan Shu's force would be brought up to equal Lu Bu, Dong Zhuo, and the Yellow Turbans forces.
The reason I request this is Ji Ling and Zhang Xun were Yuan Shu's key generals and I really like them as a pair. Ive always envisaged them complementing each other well - also Zhang Xun as far as im aware achieved a higher rank in the Kingdom of Cheng than Ji Ling did thats got to count for something right?

And sorry if this seems like im pushing it but Yang Hao might deserve a unique set as well as he served as Chengs' strategist did he not?

Im not sure of any other officers for Shu who deserve a unique set.

The only one I think of is Zhang Ren but he never actually joined Shuhan - he remained loyal to Liu Zhang to the end and died for it...
bombshellboi
Apprentice

Unread postby Wo Long » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:04 pm

Maybe add Tian Feng and Ju Shou to Yuan Shao's forces. I think for being an early super power, he could use a bit bigger force.

For Shu, add Zhuge Shang. Though a pretty short life, he was a cool character and could have a neat storyline. He's the only one I could think of adding other than Zhang Ni. But people may confuse Ni with Yi. Maybe Xu Shu (though later of Wei) and Yang Yi.

I'd also suggest changing Liu Chan to Shan. Chan was his son and it's always bothered me to call the Second Emperor Chan. :?
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:59 pm

May be Li Ru and Li Jue for Dong Zhuo and Cai Mao as the "other" officer.
Do what you believe is right and don't be distracted by praises or insults.
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:40 am

Wo Long wrote:Maybe add Tian Feng and Ju Shou to Yuan Shao's forces. I think for being an early super power, he could use a bit bigger force.

For Shu, add Zhuge Shang. Though a pretty short life, he was a cool character and could have a neat storyline. He's the only one I could think of adding other than Zhang Ni. But people may confuse Ni with Yi. Maybe Xu Shu (though later of Wei) and Yang Yi.

I'd also suggest changing Liu Chan to Shan. Chan was his son and it's always bothered me to call the Second Emperor Chan. :?

It romanizes as either Chan or Shan. As for his son, that's actually Chen.

Oh, here's a tidbit on the leveling system.

Characters will gain one point that the user can add to a character's stats for every five levels and an additional one for every 10th level (there are 100 that they can reach). There are also certain, low-statted characters with the "Potential" skill which grants them an additional bonus stat for every other level, which means that, while most characters will only get 30 additional points towards their stats, ones like Liu Chan/Shan will get 80. Still, the stats are made in such a way that a Level 100 character won't necessarily be a milion times better than a Level 1 character. Cao Cao, at level 1, is still more than a match for Liu Chan/Shan at level 100. It just gives people a reason to have less experienced officers take fhe field.

Also, I'm increasing the character count. There won't be individual character graphics most likely for the unit types, but there will be now over 30 generals in each kingdom getting their own unique portraits.
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games