I'm playing Destiny of an Emperor again. Mostly because I don’t have a save file on my computer to snatch random screenshots from anymore, but in part because I have always wanted to try something. As I mentioned in another thread, I only fight battles that are absolutely necessary up until I get Zhuge Liang. I was wondering, though. Would it be possible to beat the game this way? Reach Sima Yi on the lowest possible
level? I’m going to see if I can do it now.
<a href="http://kongming.net/doae/challenge/"><b>Official Challenge Home Page</b></a>
If anyone wants to try it out with me, here are the rules.
Destiny of an Emperor Challenge
1) You must only fight battles that cannot be avoided.
(No hiring officers, no saving up experience.)
2) You can
choose between the two different Zhang Jao battles
3) You can
hire Han Zhong.
4) You can
hire Lü Bu.
5) You should execute Yuan Shu.
6) You can
fight and hire Pang Tong. *
7) You can
fight and kill Lü Bu in Ba-Shu. *
8) You can
fight the Pirate Force in Wu. *
9) You must not fight special in-city battles (e.g. Ma Yuan Yi or Lü Meng).
10) If running an emulator, no freeze/defrost or rewind features. No field saves.
* Though these three choices are available for this challenge, doing so may not allow you to reach Sima Yi at the “lowest possible” level. If you wish to reach Sima Yi at the lowest possible level, you should skip these events—or at least the Pirate Force, which provides the most experience.
1) You may fight three field battles to hire three officers.
(You must restart if you don’t hire the officer in question.)
Increase challenge to insane difficulty:
1) You cannot use Power Pills.
If you are going to pull this off, be careful. Save your gold because it is precious. You won’t have enough to buy everything you want, and there will be a few items (like the Silver Key) that you need, but won’t be able to get, if you buy equipment instead. Plan ahead. If you will get items in a cave, don’t buy them sooner. Think of creative ways to take advantage of tough situations (for example, it may be a good idea to use Xu Zhe in battle and
as a strategist in order to defeat the likes of Xu Shou and Yuan Shao (with help of his ability to cast tactics well), but you will have to give him top-notch armor. See the screenshots below from my current game.
It will be interesting to see how things go once I reach Wu and Wei. By the time I am in Shu, normally, I’ve been happily saving up experience as I go along, and I sometimes stop to search for good officers. I’m not going to be able to do that this time around. I’ll be creating a feature on this challenge at KMA as well once I am a fair distance into it.