Destiny of an Emperor Challenge

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

What do you think of the challenge?

I enjoyed it!
37%
I plan to enjoy it!
16%
I love DoaE, but don’t have the time...
11%
This is to save the topic from pruning, huh?
37%

Total votes : 19

Unread postby James » Mon May 08, 2006 11:03 pm

I'm playing Destiny of an Emperor again. Mostly because I don’t have a save file on my computer to snatch random screenshots from anymore, but in part because I have always wanted to try something. As I mentioned in another thread, I only fight battles that are absolutely necessary up until I get Zhuge Liang. I was wondering, though. Would it be possible to beat the game this way? Reach Sima Yi on the lowest possible level? I’m going to see if I can do it now.

<a href="http://kongming.net/doae/challenge/"><b>Official Challenge Home Page</b></a>

If anyone wants to try it out with me, here are the rules.

1) You must only fight battles that cannot be avoided.
(No hiring officers, no saving up experience.)
2) You can choose between the two different Zhang Jao battles
3) You can hire Han Zhong.
4) You can hire Lü Bu.
5) You should execute Yuan Shu.
6) You can fight and hire Pang Tong. *
7) You can fight and kill Lü Bu in Ba-Shu. *
8) You can fight the Pirate Force in Wu. *
9) You must not fight special in-city battles (e.g. Ma Yuan Yi or Lü Meng).
10) If running an emulator, no freeze/defrost or rewind features. No field saves.

* Though these three choices are available for this challenge, doing so may not allow you to reach Sima Yi at the “lowest possible” level. If you wish to reach Sima Yi at the lowest possible level, you should skip these events—or at least the Pirate Force, which provides the most experience.

Decrease Difficulty:
1) You may fight three field battles to hire three officers.
(You must restart if you don’t hire the officer in question.)

Increase challenge to insane difficulty:
1) You cannot use Power Pills.
(Good luck…)

Advice
If you are going to pull this off, be careful. Save your gold because it is precious. You won’t have enough to buy everything you want, and there will be a few items (like the Silver Key) that you need, but won’t be able to get, if you buy equipment instead. Plan ahead. If you will get items in a cave, don’t buy them sooner. Think of creative ways to take advantage of tough situations (for example, it may be a good idea to use Xu Zhe in battle and as a strategist in order to defeat the likes of Xu Shou and Yuan Shao (with help of his ability to cast tactics well), but you will have to give him top-notch armor. See the screenshots below from my current game.

Image Image Image

It will be interesting to see how things go once I reach Wu and Wei. By the time I am in Shu, normally, I’ve been happily saving up experience as I go along, and I sometimes stop to search for good officers. I’m not going to be able to do that this time around. I’ll be creating a feature on this challenge at KMA as well once I am a fair distance into it. :)
Last edited by James on Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Mon May 08, 2006 11:31 pm

Awesome idea. I'm at Luo Yang currently...

So you can only fight one random battle? See, Han Zhong didn't join me (he asked for money and I didn't comply) so I had to reset a few times until he said "ok". I didn't want to fight more than one battle to get him and skew the EXP.

Also I reset after fighting the second gate battle at Luo Yang because Guo Ji showed up (as he does randomly with Xu Rong).

By no hires, you mean through random general battles right? Like we can recruit Yang Jin and Huo Hu and Guan Ping and so on?

I tried to attack Qing Zhou castle and it was way too hard, I don't know how that could be done with these low levels.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon May 08, 2006 11:52 pm

Lordyuanshu wrote:So you can only fight one random battle? See, Han Zhong didn't join me (he asked for money and I didn't comply) so I had to reset a few times until he said "ok". I didn't want to fight more than one battle to get him and skew the EXP.

Yeah, you’ve got the right idea. He is the only officer through the whole game (I believe) that you’ll be able to recruit out of battle. I don’t use a horse on him either, but that’s up to the player. It is pretty much necessary to go around the back anyway…

Lordyuanshu wrote:Also I reset after fighting the second gate battle at Luo Yang because Guo Ji showed up (as he does randomly with Xu Rong).

I complete forgot about that. Yeah, skipping it is best. :)

Lordyuanshu wrote:By no hires, you mean through random general battles right? Like we can recruit Yang Jin and Huo Hu and Guan Ping and so on?

Yep! In fact, those officers are your salvation. Guan Ping in particular is a huge help at this point in the game. As long as you don’t get experience, you can basically snatch up anyone you can manage. This means people like Pang Tong, the Ma Su and Ma Liang, and Ma Dai are all fair game. You just don’t get to have fun with the likes of Ji Ling, Wen Hun, and Taishi Ci.

Lordyuanshu wrote:I tried to attack Qing Zhou castle and it was way too hard, I don't know how that could be done with these low levels.

Yeah… that battle is absolutely horrible—and it gives you more experience too, so I always skip it. I did try to beat it under these rules about two years ago, and I was only able to do it after being killed over a dozen times, and even then it was only thanks to a large amount of luck.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Tue May 09, 2006 12:36 am

Alright, Well I just beat Chang Sha castle. I haven't bought any weapons or armor the entire way. Ji Zhou castle was super hard; did you go to Wu Ling to get the Bow before you did that fight? I didn't and I probably should have because I died several times; Lu Bu kills guys in one hit. Oh, and I did kill Yuan Shu to make it easier/less EXP.

You skip the Yuan Shang battle right?

And you skip the Pang Tong one as well (by not talking to the red/white guy in the north part of Ling Ling) right?

And about Lu Bu in Shu....you can't run from that. Is there any way you can avoid that? Maybe using Smoke Pots all throughout Shu...
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue May 09, 2006 1:49 am

I wanted to go into Jingzhou to get some extra experience from the castle before Chang Sha, but I stuck to Yuan Shao’s territory because I wanted to follow the standard site chapters in order to make a little guide as I go through the game. That made the battles prior to Yuan Shao quite a bit harder…

I’ve been buying some armor at key points, though, so that makes a difference for me. I give people like Zhao Yun and Xu Zhe some extra gear so the likes of Lü Bu don’t tear them apart in a single attack (though they come pretty close).

I always kill Yuan Shu because the small collection of experience given by him, or by Guo Ji, can be the difference between hiring Zhuge Liang on level 16 or level 17 (when I got Zhuge Liang just a few moments ago I was 227 experience to level 17). If you get Zhuge Liang on level 16 your potential TP maximum is actually a little higher!

Yep, skip all the battles like Yuan Shang. :)

Pang Tong is the only exception. You can fight him (and use him).

You can also fight Lü Bu in Shu.

(Don’t want to cut out some of the best story moments!
Besides, both of these battles are fun elements of this challenge.)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Tue May 09, 2006 2:06 am

Gah....Hui Ji is killing me. I have no means of dodging An Sha and I don't have it myself yet. The only thing I have to neutralize Zhou Yu is Yi Xin and that isn't consistent enough to get me the victory.

I skipped Pang Tong by the way. I think I may need to return and acquire him if I wish to continue here, this seems impossible without him.
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue May 09, 2006 2:35 am

You’re quite a bit ahead of me. :)

Yeah, definitely snatch up Pang Tong. He would be a huge help in that battle, I bet. This is also the battle that I am planning to have huge trouble with. Heck, with some levels sometimes I get beaten around pretty badly there.

I’m still in Shu and it has been, mostly, a cake walk (compared to parts of Yuan Shao’s territory). I know this will change in Wu and Wei, though. Or it could change right now. I’m one step away from facing Ma Chao, Ma Dai, and Pang De. This warrants a deep breath before charging forward.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Tue May 09, 2006 2:45 am

Ooo… noticed I had Bei Ji. The battle wasn’t quite as hard as I was expecting with Wei Yan and Zhang Fei smashing things after being Bei Ji’d into deities, whilst combined with the security of Ji Rou (I sure wish you kept that tactic longer).

You know… if Zhou Yu keeps messing you up, you might consider using Zhuge Liang and Pang Tong in your party, with Zhuge Liang as the strategist. Case Bei Ji on Zhuge Liang and Pang Tong, and see if you can tear them apart with fire or water tactics (not sure if you have Hong Shui or Da Re at this point, but I suspect you would). Pang Tong and Zhuge Liang are smart enough that it just might work, and it would make it easier for you to stand up against their collective abuse. And Ji Mian? Pshaw. The others could Power Pill with the best of their might until they have their heads misplaced or drown.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Tue May 09, 2006 5:08 pm

I just beat Zhou Yu. Here are some screenshots and an explanation.
(This battle is a very hard one, and it takes a little luck.)

Image Image Image Image Image

Though I am happy to still have Ji Rou (I wonder how soon I’ll lose it; I know I’ve been here with Ji Rou many times before) I was secretly hoping for an easy way out like An Sha. I guess I won’t get that for a few level-ups to come. I got an idea when I saw Yi Xin, though. I took Ma Chao out of my party (though in all honesty Zhang Bao may have been better taken out—he is a mixed blessing in this battle) and added Pang Tong. I gave Pang Tong the good ol’ Chi Tu Ma.

Round 1
At the start of the battle, I had Pang Tong cast Yi Xin on Zhou Yu. I didn’t expect this to work too easily, and I knew if it failed a good Ji Mian or An Sha could spell death for my party. I expected to have to come back a few times. No need, though, Pang Tong went first and nailed Zhou Yu. All my other party members used Bei Ji on themselves.

Round 2
The next round I had Pang Tong use Bei Ji on himself, and everyone else used Power Pills on Zhou Yu. Zhou Yu broke out of Yi Xin, but he was under 1,000 soldiers—well within the range of any of my officers. I had Pang Tong cast Hong Shui to try and get him (not sure if he could take down 800 soldiers) and everyone else used Power Pills again. Pang Tong missed, but Zhou Yu died on the next attack. Everyone proceeded to tear into Gu Yong.

Round 3
I went all-out. I got hit with a really nasty water tactic in the process, but the battle ended quickly. In retrospect, Li Jian and Hong Shui, combined with the thought of facing Zhou Yu again, should have been reason enough not to go all-out at all. He’s defeated though, so it is on to the next battle. :)

- - - - - - - - - -

Was Pang Tong needed?
Nah, probably not, but I’m sure having him around makes this battle much easier. The only other person who could be used to take this approach well is Zhuge Liang. It would be quite a bit harder with the somewhat lower intelligence of the Ma brothers, for example. Here’s the catch: Zhuge Liang’s agility isn’t too hot, and he doesn’t go first (even with Chi Tu Ma) much compared to people like Guan Xing. Pang Tong’s higher agility and great intelligence make him ideal for this battle. Still, Zhuge Liang would be more successful with Yi Xin.

What else is necessary?
You will want to have Battleaxes for everyone except for your best warrior, who should have the Scimitar found in the previous city. Having top-tier weapons makes all the difference in this battle, where a single round can pretty much spell the death of your entire party (who am I kidding—it would far more often than not).
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Tue May 09, 2006 6:42 pm

Enemy soldier bars are getting glitchy.

Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games