Kessen: Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Do you recommend Kessen?

Yes
63%
No
No votes
Unsure…
No votes
Never played it…
38%

Total votes : 8

Kessen: Discussion Thread

Unread postby James » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:41 pm

Use this thread to discuss Koei’s Kessen strategy game.

Kessen at Kongming’s Archives: http://kongming.net/kessen/
Kessen at Koei Games | Kessen at GameCity
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Devilrai » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:28 am

Kessen was my second Koei game I played (Dynasty Warriors 2 being the first). To be honest I wasn't really all thrilled about this game, it kind of sucked...sorry but, just giving out orders was boring.

That was before I knew anything about these types of games, but now that is changed. Kessen is a very well played out game, the story is okay, Tokugawa taking on Ishida and Kessen was the start of what Kessen II and III has become. Give this game a shot, try out your local video game store, if they don't have it then try online.
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lafeel » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:34 pm

Kessen was my very first Koei game, followed less than a week later by Dynasty Warriors 2, in both cases borrowed copies.

A great game indeed, but hardly the best representation of that time period. Loads of fun, though, and well worth buying in my opinion.
Lafeel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:17 am

[Moved from Gamer's Haven to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games, 20 March 2005]
"If I had to do my life over, I would change every single thing I have done."
— Raymond Douglas Davies, 1967
Kong Wen
Golden God
Golden God

Unread postby Duncan » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:59 am

In preparation for Kessen III, I've just played through to the end, and I enjoyed it immensely. I think it is a marginally better game than Kessen 2. However, some of the gameplay is repetitive and unnecessary (eg unskippable cutscenes of defeated enemies), less intuitive than it might be and graphically it is showing its age.
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:33 am

Sun Hua wrote: However, some of the gameplay is repetitive and unnecessary (eg unskippable cutscenes of defeated enemies), less intuitive than it might be and graphically it is showing its age.

How long do those cutscenes run, about 3 seconds? :lol: I thought they were skippable as well, hmmm. I also disagree that its showing its age graphically, but I don't keep up with very many games these days, still beautiful to me.

The original Kessen is one of my favorite games. I love the story and find myself most closely aligned with Yi Naomasa, awesome guy. Gameplay is excellent as well and I love to run through the game from all different angles on occasion to watch all of the great scenes and re-accquaint myself with each faction. I hope Kessen III is much in the same vein as I'll be purchasing it someday and I hope it covers a broader topic that is even better for replay than the original.
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Re: Kessen: Discussion Thread

Unread postby Simon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:22 am

Sorry for using a very old thread, but was one of those I could see and would like to ask, regarding Kessen II, if there is a chance I can play Sun Quan, as I have already passed Liu Bei then Cao Cao after??
Simon
Tyro

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:01 am

No, you cannot play as Wu. They're the third wheel, unnecessary to the game but appearing a couple of times anyway to annoy people with naval battles.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Simon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:29 am

ok, thanks for answering :)
Simon
Tyro

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:14 am

never played Kessen but if its about the 3 kingdoms shouldn't you be able to play as all 3 kingdoms?! Well I have heard very much about this game is it any good?
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games