Zhou Yu's SGZ bio

Questions, feedback, suggestions, and Kongming's Archives projects.

Zhou Yu's SGZ bio

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:04 pm

I read much info in Generals of the South on Zhou Yu that was not in his SGZ bio. I also noticed it pretty small, especially how Sun Quan describes him compared to his other generals.

One note is one from the Jiang Biao Zhuan. Cao Cao asks Sun Quan for hostages after Sun Ce died, many in the Wu courts argued about this. Zhou Yu and Lady Wu convinced Sun Quan that they should not send a hostage and have nothing to fear from Cao Cao.

Another note mentions Zhou Yu visiting Sun Quan in private to strategize on the battle agianst Cao Cao.
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Sep 12, 2004 4:45 pm

I'm not sure what your question is. But if it's about where the info from GoS is from, and why it's not on the online translated version of Zhou Yu's bio--well, the Zhou Yu bio at KMA doesn't have the Pei Songzhi notes, from which the Jiangbiao Zhuan excerpts may be found.

When you talk about a SGZ bio, it would be best if you indicated whether you mean the original Chinese version, or one of the translations published online. I know there are some bios out there that are incomplete, with translators skimming over sections they don't understand (or omitting them, even) and ignoring the Pei notes, and some bios may contain mistranslations (hey, we're not pros). Therefore, it is good practise to be precise where you got your information from so you don't sound like you're blaming Chen Shou or Pei Songzhi for something that they didn't do.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:13 pm

The one on this site. After looking at GoS, they have a lot more info and I was wondering where they go it(Zhou Yu's bio doesn't have it, neither does Sun Ce's and Sun Quan's). But you answered my question. It's probably because the bio doesn't include notes such as Jiang Biao Zhuan and such.
Lu Xun- "After much observation of how Liu Bei had been leading troops in his career, I see that he had more failures than success; hence, he is not much of a threat."
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:59 pm

There's also the possibility that the information is taken from the SGZ biography of someone else.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby PrimeMinister Bu Zhi » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:38 pm

That was my first conclusion but the main SGZ bios with which the info is associated with is Sun Quan or Sun Ce (or Cheng Pu and Lu Su) but they don't have it.

I'm pretty sure it's because Zhou Yu bio on this site doesn't have Jiang Biao Zhuan and that's probably were it came from. I heard that the whole Jiang Gan thing was in that and so are other events.
PrimeMinister Bu Zhi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Kongming's Archives