Videogame Violence?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Videogame Violence?

Unread postby Rowde » Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:34 am

Gamespot Article wrote:Filipino girl shot by sore loser

A teenage Filipino girl is shot dead after allegedly beating a schoolmate at a computer game.

According to the Phillipine Star newspaper, a teenage Filipino girl has been shot dead by a schoolmate for teasing him after beating him at a computer game. Veronica Galang, aged 17, had apparently been playing the game (at this time, it's not clear which one) at a computer shop near her home.
The victim was heard teasing her schoolmate about his "subpar play" and upon leaving the shop suffered a fatal bullet wound to her left eye. Police are still looking for the as-yet-unidentified schoolmate, who shot Galang using a homemade gun.

By Justin Calvert, GameSpot VG [POSTED: 07/29/02]

I have heard several stories like this one over the years. Most incidents I have heard about have originated in countries such as Japan, China, Korea, and other Asian Countries, where a videogame subculture is more established.

I don't know what the political standpoint is on games in those countries unfortunately, but I do know that if this had happened in America, the situation would have been undoubtedly blamed on the videogames themselves. What do you guys think? Do you think that violence in videogames suggest and cause individuals to commit violent acts? Or do you consider these people to have a natural predilection towards violence, so it shouldn't be surprising that this happened?

This does concern me, as I consider myself a gamer. If more of these situations happen, that may cause those in society who don't consider themselves gamers fear me. And as we all know, fear leads to hate, hate leads to violence, etc. What is your stand on this? I don't know if everyone here plays games or not, but for those of us who do, are there any actions we should be taking to make society aware of our subculture?
Copernicus of the New Age, take this unbearable weight of gravity, and liberate this galaxy!"
~ Kenji Miyazawa
Rowde
Intensified Luck Soldier

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:00 am

I wouldn't worry too much. I think that person probably was a sore loser (understatement, I know) and was probably a violent person anyway. Just think of it this way...if those two people had been playing 1 on 1 basketball instead of a video game, and the person who won berated the loser and said loser shot the winner, people wouldn't blame the gaming industry but would blame the person. I think of it the same way...it's a game, and if you get beat by me, I'll probably brag some. "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" about sums it up for me. When I play games, I'm going to talk trash whether I win or lose...it's part of the fun for me. As for that sore loser, there's always gonna be people like that; so don't worry too much.

But it is a sad world where somebody has to die over a game...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Maria » Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:56 am

Not only the game that is contaminating the criminals head. Environment has its effect as well. Take us, the scholars. Would we shoot someone over petty things like losing a game? No. Why? Because we know what's right and wrong from watching our society.

This has happened too many times, and people start suing the game producer for the violence it brings. But they have no firm evidence that the game is the sole cause of the violence act.
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby James » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:08 am

Unfortunately there is always an exception to the norm. In this case someone lost control and shot someone over being beaten in a game... how pathetic, sad, and unbalanced. Events like this give the media fuel to draw conclusions about gaming as a whole, and people listen...
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Hrmm...

Unread postby Rowde » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:17 am

Zhuge Kongming wrote:Unfortunately there is always an exception to the norm. In this case someone lost control and shot someone over being beaten in a game... how pathetic, sad, and unbalanced. Events like this give the media fuel to draw conclusions about gaming as a whole, and people listen...

That's what I'm afraid of. It's like the old saying goes.
Some Clever Guy wrote:Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.
Copernicus of the New Age, take this unbearable weight of gravity, and liberate this galaxy!"
~ Kenji Miyazawa
Rowde
Intensified Luck Soldier

Re: Hrmm...

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:24 am

Rowde wrote:
Zhuge Kongming wrote:Unfortunately there is always an exception to the norm. In this case someone lost control and shot someone over being beaten in a game... how pathetic, sad, and unbalanced. Events like this give the media fuel to draw conclusions about gaming as a whole, and people listen...

That's what I'm afraid of. It's like the old saying goes.
Some Clever Guy wrote:Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

In that case, I have a three step program for you:

1) Start learning some form of martial arts,
2) Invest in a machine gun and mount it in your window :lol: , or
3) Just don't beat anyone at video games anymore, and you'll be okay.

But for real though, things like this do tend to give gamers a bad rep, and I really hate being negatively stereotyped :x
Gunslinger

Unread postby Maria » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:34 am

Iznoach, Legendary Dragon wrote:But for real though, things like this do tend to give gamers a bad rep, and I really hate being negatively stereotyped :x

Indeed. In this case then, there would be at least 3 sides to point:

1. The gamers (who start getting violent from being beaten). They showed a very low standard of normal gamers attitude.

2. The media. they exploited all the "news" of this acts, then start making doubt. "Is gaming the right choice for your kids?" and all. That pisses me (us) off big time.

3. Narrow minded people who readily accept whatever the media writes. And then they start spreading words, without justifying the stereotypical statement.
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:41 am

Dragon_Girl wrote:3. Narrow minded people who readily accept whatever the media writes. And then they start spreading words, without justifying the stereotypical statement.

...not to mention not knowing what the hell they're talking about...

I don't know about the rest of you (gamers), but I don't like winning all the time. I love to win, but I also love to have a challenge from someone. Winning all the time takes all the fun out of a game for me. For instance...I can not be defeated at either Tekken II, III, Tag, or MK II. So, I don't play those anymore, cause it's not fun just to always win (and people don't like to play someone they know they can't beat.) So I don't know why there's people like this out there, I just can't understand...
Gunslinger

Unread postby Anshi » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:48 am

It is pretty sad the level of influence the media has reached with the average person nowadays. They can take an isolated incident like this and make an entire subculture seem like a bunch of scumbags...they did it to parts of the music industry, and now after the release of GTA3, I doubt they would hesitate to do it to the gaming industry.
Anshi
Refined Literati Emperor

Unread postby Maria » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:56 am

Anshi wrote:and now after the release of GTA3, I doubt they would hesitate to do it to the gaming industry.

There's a thin line between crime lessons and innovative gaming concept. Like most of you said, they didn't even know how how to judge which one is right or wrong, or for more specific statement, they don't know HOW to make the best attitude out of things.
Maria
Iron Duchess

Next

Return to Current Affairs