Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Lodril » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:33 pm

Cao Hong wrote:I'm just asking but what would have happened if the Yellow Turbans had won their battle?

It would have been another divide... despite what the novel paints, the Yellow Turban rebellion was actually two separate rebellions, both with the same basic symbolism. One was in the east, and the other in the west.

Had Zhang Jiao (the western rebel, and the one in the novel) won, then... I don't know, the Chinese would have been taking a lot more baths. His preaching was pretty communist, but I think he probably would have reverted to old forms of government once he took power.
Lodril
Student

Unread postby Jimayo » Fri Apr 25, 2003 4:40 pm

The eastern one? You mean in Liang Province?
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby rcsha » Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:09 pm

Azrael wrote:The eastern one? You mean in Liang Province?

That would be western. On most maps west is left and east is right, heh.

Nonetheless, I think he is referring to Han Sui's rebellion with the Qiang in the west.
Dickjutsu.com
The Bruce Lee of Dickery.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Jimayo » Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:44 pm

Samuel wrote:
Azrael wrote:That's where your mistaken actually. Yuan Shao used Yan Liang against the Wuhuan. He was quite successful. But the chinese tend to ignore the barbarians unless it's a huge campaign so it didn't end up in SGZ(although it is in another book that is more focused on the Xian Bi, Xiong Nu, and Wuhuan written by a "crazy" chinese scholar).

Could you give some more info on that book, Denny?

Yeah, it's gonna have to be next time, cause I don't have Northern Frontier handy, but rafe says in the book that he had to use mostly non-standard chinese histories(you know, not HHS, not HS, not SGZ, cause they don't really have much to say bout the barbs). Must be some sort of cultural blind spot.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Jimayo » Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:46 pm

rcsha wrote:
Azrael wrote:The eastern one? You mean in Liang Province?

That would be western. On most maps west is left and east is right, heh.

Nonetheless, I think he is referring to Han Sui's rebellion with the Qiang in the west.

Han Sui and Ma Teng. And that's what I thought. I got a kick out of that one. The Qiang rebel, and numerous chinese join them. And their leaders are made out to be loyal servants of the Han by LGZ. :lol:
Jimayo

Unread postby Yu Angel » Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:33 pm

was gourd valley located in/near wu zhang plains?

You know the place where sima yi was surrounded by fire but then rain came...
I am Yu Angel of Ru Nan!You will not pass.
Yu Angel
Tyro

Unread postby Boushin Dragonfly » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:40 pm

I've seen reference in a few of the video games to a character named either Mi Zhe or Mi Zhu. Who was this man, or who were these men, and what relevance did they have in the books or in history?
Weapons are the instruments of misfortune and should be resorted to only when unavoidable.
--Sun Tzu
Boushin Dragonfly
Scholar

Unread postby Sam » Sat Apr 26, 2003 9:40 pm

Liu Xuande wrote:I've seen reference in a few of the video games to a character named either Mi Zhe or Mi Zhu. Who was this man, or who were these men, and what relevance did they have in the books or in history?

Mi Zhu's SGZ bio
Last edited by Sam on Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Otherwise known as Wang Ping (Zijun)
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Unread postby grand master of san guo » Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:49 am

when ma chao rise army to chang an how much solider he got? and where did cao cao go? why did he let xianhu yuan defend chan an?
" cao cao has more than million army, but there is nothing to fear about." we must ally. so that we can bring peace to the world!!
grand master of san guo
Student

Unread postby Jon » Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:21 am

did the sun family ever come back to power in later times? and what became of the zhou family(zhou yu's sons and so on...)? are there any officials/ people in china related to these 2 families, today(i doubt anyone would know), or for that matter, any powerful family of that time?
Jon
Ladies' Man

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium