Zu Mao Acknowledgement

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zu Mao Acknowledgement

Unread postby Phlegyas » Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:06 am

I have never heard praise for the hero Zu Mao. He served under Sun Jian against Dong Zhuo. One night, Hua Xiaong attacked the forces of Sun Jian shortly after learning that Yuan Shu had denied Jian food supplys. Mao was the only person to stay behind with Jian. Jian fired three arrows at Xiaong, but his bow broke after the hood. Mao discovered the only way that Xiaong could see them was Jian's red hood. He took off Jian's red hood and wore it himself. He then veered away from Jian, he could escape safely. Hua Xiaong pursued the red hood and Jian escaped. Mao then put the hood on a charred piece of wood. The enemy cornered the piece of wood, not wanting to attack in fear of Jian. Mao then rode out on his steed wielding two swords. He slew a few soldiers until Hua Xiaong came out himself and cut him down. I think this was one of the most honorable acts in the Three Kingdoms era. It reminds me of Dian Wei at Wan Castle.
"Woe unto you, ye souls depraved
Hope nevermore to look upon the heavens;
I come to lead you to the other shore,
To the eternal shades in heat and frost.
And thou, that yonder standest, living soul,
Withdraw thee from these people, the dead"
Phlegyas
Langzhong

Location: The dark catacombs of my mind. Longing for love, but getting lost in the labyrinth.

Unread postby Anshi » Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:15 am

Well, I assume we are talking about SGYY and not the history (although I think an event similar to this took place in history).
Yes, Zu Mao's act of saving Sun Jian was not only incredibly heroic, but very important in terms of Three Kingdoms history. If Sun Jian had died it is unlikely that Sun Ce would have been able to survive on his own much later (please don't try to convince me otherwise, Wu fans of SoSZ), so who knows what would happen in the area that would have been called Wu...
Anshi
Refined Literati Emperor

Unread postby James » Sun Jul 28, 2002 3:23 am

Yeah, is Sun Jian had died this early it would have been the end of Wu (or at the very least the Wu we know of now). Sun Ce and co. would probably have become subordinates of a regional lord.

This would be one of the most heroic and loyal acts in SGYY.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sun Jul 28, 2002 9:01 am

I totally agree with you guys.
In history, it was also Zu Mao who went to the Han Court and elected Sun Jian as commander against the Yellow Scarves.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby LittleConqueror » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:13 am

Zu Mao in the novel was heroic and very cool. Wu wouldn't have existed, as Sun Ce would be a minor officer in Yuan Shu army. Maybe Sun Ce and those guys join Cao Cao but Sun Ce wouldn't have done much.
"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"
LittleConqueror
Scholar

Unread postby Phlegyas » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:51 am

Thank you for your respect.

Why wouldn't Koei put him in DW3 as a playable character (2 swords) or even in the battle at Hu Lao Gate?

I think he is worthy of mention.

Also, without Cao Hong, Cao Cao would have been cut down trying to escape Lu Bu. Why not honor him more?

There are so many unsung heroes. I think I willl make a new topic.
Phlegyas
Langzhong

Location: The dark catacombs of my mind. Longing for love, but getting lost in the labyrinth.

Unread postby James » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:46 am

Zu Mao wrote:Why wouldn't Koei put him in DW3 as a playable character (2 swords) or even in the battle at Hu Lao Gate?

If anything they might add him as a minor character for the one stage. He did not have much time at all in the novel, so it is unlikely that we will ever really see him in DW.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Pang Shiyuan » Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:58 am

Zu Mao wrote:Thank you for your respect.

Why wouldn't Koei put him in DW3 as a playable character (2 swords) or even in the battle at Hu Lao Gate?

I think he is worthy of mention.

Also, without Cao Hong, Cao Cao would have been cut down trying to escape Lu Bu. Why not honor him more?

There are so many unsung heroes. I think I willl make a new topic.

My favourite unsung heroes:

Wei: Hao Zhao and Li Dian

Shu: Wei Yan (duh) and Liao Hua

Wu: None really.
Pang Shiyuan
凤雏先生

Unread postby Phlegyas » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:05 am

I have another unsung heroes topic also.
Phlegyas
Langzhong

Re: Zu Mao Acknowledgement

Unread postby Aventador951 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:07 am

There are quite a lot of people that should be recognised but aren't.

Zu Mao sacrificed his own life for Sun Jian so the kingdom of Wu would form.
Shan Fu recommended Zhuge Liang before he left Liu Bei. And guess what happened then.
Wei Yan almost single-handedly complete all the expeditions Zhuge Liang began after Liu Bei's death.
Cao Hong (one of Cao Cao's cousins) saved Cao Cao's life during a disastrous raid against Lu Bu.

Four people shouldn't be considered "quite a lot" but these people did do quite a lot.

Edit: This is all according to the ROTK.
Last edited by Aventador951 on Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aventador951
Initiate

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium