Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:18 am

What rank did Yang Yi have? If you can give me the exact rank, that would be great, but I atleast would like to know whether he was a general, a civil officer or whatever.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kingdom of Cheng » Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:57 am

What rank was He Yi in?
Kingdom of Cheng
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Han Xin » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:08 am

Emperor Sun Ce wrote:What do the words Wu, Wei, Shu, and Jin mean?

All Wu, Shu, Han and Jin were name of places, however, Wei is actually a family name.

Wu was a name state during spring/autumn period in China. Located around the Tai Lake region of China.

Shu was land in the southwest of China, surrounding the region of Chengdu.

Han was a region of the around the Han river basin near Hanzhong.

Jin was name of an Spring/Autumn state originate near modern day Taiyuan. Jin were later usurped and its land divided by the three house Wei, Zhao and Han.

Wei was a sirname of a power family in Jin during Spring/Autum period. When Jin was destroyed, Wei get most of the good land in central plain. Initially Wei set their capital in the western part of its kindom, however due to constant pressure from Qin, they moved their capital to the east to the city of Daliang.

TheGreatNads wrote:What rank did Yang Yi have? If you can give me the exact rank, that would be great, but I atleast would like to know whether he was a general, a civil officer or whatever.

Senior Clerk of the Prime Minister Office was the last rank he held before he was sacked for squarelling and killing Wei Yan.
Han Xin's past-time - 沉湎於酒, 淫於聲色, 左手擁華姬,右手抱越女:lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:13 am

Han Xin wrote:Senior Clerk of the Prime Minister Office was the last rank he held before he was sacked for squarelling and killing Wei Yan.

:shock: Wow I've never heard of that happening, who killed him?
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby kongming42 » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:29 am

Does anyone know where I can find some good info on life during the Three Kingdoms era (either online or in print)? SGYY and SGZ are a bit vague in this department since it was really beyond their purpose to describe general life, but I've been curious about it. Specifically, I'd like to know how a commoner/peasant and a common soldier in the army lived. How did people make a living (were they all farmers, merchants or soldiers, or were their other occupations for the lower class?)? What did they do with free time, if they ever had any? How did the soldiers stay entertained when they weren't fighting wars? What was life like in a castle during a siege? Stuff like that.

In fact, is this information even available? I've searched online for quite a while now for anything at all, and the closest info I've found (mostly thanks to KMA and this forum, lol) was info on the organization of the military. If this stuff was never recorded for the Three Kingdoms era, is there another one that does have information available that would be similar to life during the Three Kingdoms (I'm guessing the Han and/or Jin dynasties would be the best bets in that case).

Thanks in advance for any info, and sorry for the long and strange question. :oops:
kongming42

Unread postby Han Xin » Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:02 am

TheGreatNads wrote::shock: Wow I've never heard of that happening, who killed him?

After he killed Wei Yan and brought back the troops to Chengdu, he constantly showed his dissatisfaction about the promotion he get from his "great achievement" of bringing the troop back and kill Wei Yan. Fei Yi just got so sick of it that he send a secret petition to the court and Yang Yi was strip of all official titles and position and was force to live in Hanjia.
Han Xin's past-time - 沉湎於酒, 淫於聲色, 左手擁華姬,右手抱越女:lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Yu Angel » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:13 am

Why was Pang Tong called the Fledging Pheonix?

EDIT: Oh and can any1 tell me what valor was back then and who exactly had it?
I am Yu Angel of Ru Nan!You will not pass.
Yu Angel
Tyro

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:21 am

Yu Angel wrote:Why was Pang Tong called the Fledging Pheonix?

EDIT: Oh and can any1 tell me what valor was back then and who exactly had it?

Pang Tong was given the nickname Fledging Phoenix by Pang De Gong (a respectable and wise man in Jing Zhou). This is derived from Xiang Yang Ji and the original text is as follows:

Xiang Yang Ji, taken from Pang Tong's SGZ biography wrote:襄阳记曰:诸葛孔明为卧龙,庞士元为凤雏,司马德操为水镜,皆庞德公语也。

Regarding the concept of valor and who has it, I guess you may have to look at some of the on-going discussions in the forum and see for yourself which officer/general is valiant. Don't forget the common folks too. :D
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Ender » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:26 am

Alright, what were the actual times of the different watches?

Ex: "The two men continued talking until the fifth watch; then they departed."

What time was the fifth watch? Was it Midnight, 1am, 2am?
"Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem."
-- Longfellow
Ender
Wandering Darkness

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:40 am

Ender wrote:Alright, what were the actual times of the different watches?

Ex: "The two men continued talking until the fifth watch; then they departed."

What time was the fifth watch? Was it Midnight, 1am, 2am?

You may find this useful.

http://www.decimaltime.org/time.html
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium