Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby LorD Ma Titans » Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:31 am

Does any one know who Hao Zhao is in Chinese? I have been trying to confirm who he is for a while.
LorD Ma Titans
Apprentice

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:23 pm

I'm wondering in what SGZ bio does it mention Guan Yu trying to steal Lu Bu's wife after the capture of Xia Pi. Anyone know?
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DarkAnthem » Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:25 pm

LorD Ma Titans wrote:Does any one know who Hao Zhao is in Chinese? I have been trying to confirm who he is for a while.

Hao Zhao is 郝昭 in Chinese; he was the general defending Chen Cang in Zhuge's second northern expedition.
DarkAnthem
Master

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:17 pm

Cherry_Blossom wrote:the wording mentions dangers and since he had to deal with a child and a woman to protect I would say it is pretty honorable to go back and get them and make sure they are safe. Besides why be so hard on Zhou Yun about it? At least he did go back,and he did cover the retreat for his men, and did go back to save one of his officers. (at other times of course)

The dangers weren't there yet, is what I meant.

Cherry_Blossom wrote: Funny how both Liu Bei and Zhuge Liang missed such simple ideas and Yun did not. :wink:

It still in my opinion doesn't prove he's smart.

Cherry Blossom wrote:Am I wrong or didn't he come between some troops and Cao Cao when Cao Cao was seperated while chasing Dong Zhou's army? And actually according to the SGZ when he first encountered Lu Bu with a small army Lu Bu retreated..so they held their own at least at first.

The first incident isn't in his SGZ bio, but I'm not going to say it didn't happen since there are other SGZ bios that may have mentioned it. Lu Bu retreated, and took Puyang and Xiahou Dun's supplies! I doubt he really defeated Lu Bu, I think Lu Bu retreated to take Xiahou Dun's supplies and Puyang.

Cherry Blossom wrote:Okay maybe there are things they could have done differently but they did do some good even if it wasn't military (I mean iyou can have all the skilled generals in the world but if the people are not loyal and your not pulling in any money form the towns or getting food and supplies it is for naught) and I do think that even militarily they did some good things.

I'll agree there. Except, I would say that Xiahou Dun screwed up more for his lord, then he did to help his country.

Cherry Blossom wrote:Actually I thought this was quite sad... :cry:

I felt sorry for him too, I wasn't laughing at him.

Cherry Blossom wrote:I guess I just like just about everyone from the era for something..I mean
like I said no one is perfect

Typically, I would say "no one is perfect" about someone in Zhang He's case who did lose a battle, but it was to a great general like Zhang Fei. But Xiahou Dun lost to Liu Bei! As far as his military ABILITY, I think he was a joke.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DarkAnthem » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:38 pm

TheGreatNads wrote:I'm wondering in what SGZ bio does it mention Guan Yu trying to steal Lu Bu's wife after the capture of Xia Pi. Anyone know?

The Shu Ji account is annotated by Pei in Guan Yu's SGZ bio, while the WeiShi ChunQiu account is annotated in Cao Rui's bios.
DarkAnthem
Master

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:13 pm

Thanks, I have another question. I've heard that the SGZ is based on the three kingdoms(So that's minus Jin.), so I'm wondering if people that weren't in any of the kingdoms(Like Yuan Shao or Lu Bu) had their own SGZ bios. Were they just mentioned in other officers(from the three kingdoms) or did some of them actually have their own bios?
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DarkAnthem » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:47 pm

TheGreatNads wrote:Thanks, I have another question. I've heard that the SGZ is based on the three kingdoms(So that's minus Jin.), so I'm wondering if people that weren't in any of the kingdoms(Like Yuan Shao or Lu Bu) had their own SGZ bios. Were they just mentioned in other officers(from the three kingdoms) or did some of them actually have their own bios?

Some of the more important ones do have bios, and most are mentioned along with the Wei bios.

There’s three parts in SGZ: Book of Wei, Book of Shu, and Book of Wu,
The generals and officers not part of any of the three kingdoms are usually listed in the beginning or near the beginning of each book. Such as Dong Zhou, Yuan Shao, Yuan Shu, Lu Bu’s bios come after the bios for kins of Cao Cao. Not all the unaligned generals have bios in SGZ, mostly, only the ones who had major relevance to the major rulers/generals from the three kingdoms had bios. There’s also other character bios for Hua Tuo, Guan Lue and other non-kingdom figures near the end of the Book of Wei.

In Book of Wei, it first lists the rulers, then the Empresses, then the people who are related to the rulers, then there are bios for the unaligned generals and rulers. Bios for non-kingdom figures (like Hua Tuo) are after all the officer bios.

In the Book of Shu, Liu Yan and Liu Zhang are in the first scroll before Liu Bei’s bio. I don't think there aren't any unaligned general bios in the Book of Wu.
DarkAnthem
Master

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:05 pm

I felt sorry for him too, I wasn't laughing at him.

I didn't mean to insinuate that you were..I was referring to his troops and how much it shows society was the same back then as it is now... :shock: :cry: I think I just depressed myself.

I'm wondering in what SGZ bio does it mention Guan Yu trying to steal Lu Bu's wife after the capture of Xia Pi. Anyone know?

I was wondering about this too..except I was rereading LGZ's novel and read one of the notes in the back and it said in the TS the incident was mentioned and they appear to have actually called her Diao Chan..more like Diaochan..I was wondering what is the TS and how accurate is it? Did this incident really happen?
Short version of a quote by Thales:
Of all things;God = most ancient;he is uncreated,Universe=most beautiful;God's work,Space=greatest;holds all,Swiftest=mind;speeds
everywhere,Strongest=necessity;masters all,Wisest=time; brings all things to light
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:16 am

Cherry wrote:I was wondering about this too..except I was rereading LGZ's novel and read one of the notes in the back and it said in the TS the incident was mentioned and they appear to have actually called her Diao Chan..more like Diaochan..I was wondering what is the TS and how accurate is it? Did this incident really happen?

I afraid No. Anyway the history did stated Guan Yu asked Lu Bu's officer Qin Yi Lun wife from Cao Cao but Cao Cao took her first. :wink:
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Unread postby Russ » Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:52 am

What do the words Wu, Wei, Shu, and Jin mean?
Russ
Legendary

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium