Quick translation, hanzi, and minor information assistance

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby James » Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:34 pm

DarkAnthem wrote:So the Han Fu you asked about earlier doesn't have the Zi "Wenjie", sorry about the confusion. :(

Oh, I see now. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I am tired and easily confused right about now. :lol:
If anything, Wenjie makes a new addition to the page. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby James » Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:47 am

Zhuge Rong (ShuChang/ShuZhang)
諸葛融 (叔長)

In Zhuge Rong’s Zi, 長 can be either Chang or Zhang. In Pinyin, can anyone enlighten me as to which one it would be?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby jiuwan » Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:32 pm

James wrote:Zhuge Rong (ShuChang/ShuZhang)
諸葛融 (叔長)

In Zhuge Rong’s Zi, 長 can be either Chang or Zhang. In Pinyin, can anyone enlighten me as to which one it would be?

In pinyin zhang would be 張 and chang would be 長. Although the words would sound a little similar in chinese it is different in pinyin.
Hence the different spelling in Zhang Fei 張 飛 and chang river 長 河
jiuwan
Marquis of Shun Ping

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:04 pm

Actually, jiuwan, 長 does have two yin -- chang(2) and zhang(3)

長chang(2) literally means "long". It is also used with other characters to give the aspect of length/distance

長zhang(3) stands for "growth" Used with other characters to give the factor of age(also authority)/growth. Such as zhang3 da4 (to grow up) zhang3 bei4 (ancestor)

張 is just zhang(1)

James: Although "Shu(1)Zhang(3)" gives a better meaning for a name, "Shu(1)Chang(2)" sounds better, imo. So...urgh...I dunno :( Can't help you out with this. Gomenasai.
"Knowledge is not as important as imagination. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" - Albert Einstein
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that counts. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby jiuwan » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:28 am

Zhanghe_of_Wei wrote:Actually, jiuwan, 長 does have two yin -- chang(2) and zhang(3)

That's why I hate mandarin and the pinyin system.....grrrrr. I'll just stick with good old cantonese and reading the characters as they are then. I know what the hanzi characters are, but all those pinyin sometimes screws me up :lol:
jiuwan
Marquis of Shun Ping

Unread postby WilliamL » Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:40 am

Someone please help :wahh:
I searched through some Chinese dictionaries and can't find the pinyin of this word ( 緄 ). Could that because is an old word? Cuz I took it from Xun Yu SGZ bio, were it mentions about his father's name " 彧 父 緄..."
Thanks
WilliamL
Initiate

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Sun Mar 23, 2003 2:22 am

WilliamL wrote:Someone please help :wahh:
I searched through some Chinese dictionaries and can't find the pinyin of this word ( 緄 ). Could that because is an old word?

The pinyin for is gun3

The left-hand side traditional radical is simplified to
"Knowledge is not as important as imagination. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" - Albert Einstein
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that counts. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WilliamL » Sun Mar 23, 2003 3:22 am

Thank you very much :D
Did you use the left-hand side of that (糸) then after search by the number of strokes? (which is I think 8 strokes)
My dictionaries are so cheap they don't have that word...
Thanks again.
WilliamL
Initiate

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Sun Mar 23, 2003 4:23 am

WilliamL wrote:Thank you very much :D
Did you use the left-hand side of that (糸) then after search by the number of strokes? (which is I think 8 strokes)
My dictionaries are so cheap they don't have that word...
Thanks again.

I looked up 纟and then looked under 8 strokes for the right-hand side. That's because I already knew the simplified version. Also, my dictionary shows the traditional radicals in brackets next to their simplified radicals at the top of the search pages

You're welcome :)
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby jiuwan » Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:55 am

I'm in the process of converting all the SGZ bios into traditional text from the simplified text. I've stumbed across a word that I don't know. Maybe someone out there can shed some light on this for me.
I'm currently doing book of shu scroll 14 and got stuck on a name.
It's Jiang Wan, Fei Yi, Jiang Wei bios. 蔣琬費祎姜維傳
Now the word I'm stuck on is from Fei Yi's name. I'm pretty sure it's Fei Yi, but on KMA's site it says it's Fei Shi (KMA's has two names of Fei Shi, but with different styles).

The two Fei Shi's are as follows -

Fei Shi (Gongju) 費詩 (公舉)
Fei Shi (Wenwei) 費祎 (文偉)

So it could be just a typo on KMA. Or I'm just wrong on the english pinyin name, but my chinese name should be right. I got the chinese straight from SGZ :lol: So If someone can clear up the difference of Shi and Yi, it would be great. Now for my question......

The one I'm doing is Fei <b>YI</b> (Wen wei) 費祎 (文偉). But his first name 祎 is a simplified character. I don't know this character in the traditional form. But I know it's a simplified character (cuz I can't read it :lol:). I tried using NJ Star to convert it to traditional character, but NJ Star doesn't know that word either. So I don't know, my computer doesn't know... I'm hoping someone on SoSZ will know. It would make James very happy *wink wink*
that I finish this.
jiuwan
Marquis of Shun Ping

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium