Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:26 pm

Sun jian wrote:Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about him. Does anyone know about whether or not Kongming used the Art of War strategies during the war? Also, does anyone know about Sun Tzu himself and why wrote the book to begin with?

Most probably, anyway, if i am not mistaken, Kong Ming had his own version of the Art of War. He wrote it himself and maybe passed to Jiang Wei.

For Sun Tzu, he was one of the famous general during Dong Zhou dynasty. At that time, the whole China was in chaos and which kingdom have military strengh will likely to lead other. Sun Tzu was recomended by Wu Zi Xu to King of Wu. He was once Qi people and his family name should be Tian. He grandpa helped the Duke of Qi (?) to defeat Lu and they had been granted Sun name. Anyway, the people from Sun tribes rebelled at Qi. Sun Tzu had to free himself and then he began to write the Art of War. This is some of the info i remember, maybe other scholars can add more. :wink:
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Unread postby Sun Siling » Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:32 pm

Sun jian wrote:Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about him. Does anyone know about whether or not Kongming used the Art of War strategies during the war? Also, does anyone know about Sun Tzu himself and why wrote the book to begin with?

But then, isn't Xu Sheng one of Wu's greatest generals?
"Learn from the past, Live in the present, Plan for the future."
But sometimes you learn from friends too ^_^
Sun Siling
Academic

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:27 am

Sun Siling wrote:But then, isn't Xu Sheng one of Wu's greatest generals?

This is what Chinese confuse the foreigner, well, there are 4 sounds in Chinese. Although in English the word that using are the same but in Chinese, the Wu general suppose to be Xu(2) Sheng(4) while the Yellow Turban's head named Xu(3) Sheng(1). Now i don't have any translator to write down the Chinese character, i just can tell you they are not the same persons. :D
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Unread postby Sun Siling » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:40 am

Mengdez New Book wrote:
Sun Siling wrote:But then, isn't Xu Sheng one of Wu's greatest generals?

This is what Chinese confuse the foreigner, well, there are 4 sounds in Chinese. Although in English the word that using are the same but in Chinese, the Wu general suppose to be Xu(2) Sheng(4) while the Yellow Turban's head named Xu(3) Sheng(1). Now i don't have any translator to write down the Chinese character, i just can tell you they are not the same persons. :D

Oh...so thats what it means. But when english peoples translate it...they have the same names, like I think Cao Bao's and also some other. Thank you for clearing this up for me! I really helps...maybe I should start learning chinese :wink:
"Learn from the past, Live in the present, Plan for the future."
But sometimes you learn from friends too ^_^
Sun Siling
Academic

Unread postby Yu Angel » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:20 am

Well Zhang Bao and Zhang bao both have the same names..... Zhang Bao = Zhang Fei's son..... Zhang bao = zhang jiao's brother..

Well anyways may i ask... what happened to the sword of light that Zhao Yun took from Xiahou en?

Iznoach Edit: Please refrain from double posting.
I am Yu Angel of Ru Nan!You will not pass.
Yu Angel
Tyro

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:48 am

Yu Angel wrote:Zhang Bao(zhang fei's son) Zhang Bao(zhang Jiao's brother) have the same names too.

Anywasys, what exactly happened to the sword of light that Zhao Yun took from Xiahou En.

Well, history didn't really stated that Cao Cao got such a sword but at novel, after Zhao Yun took it, it disspeared at SGYY scene. :D
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:20 am

Mengdez New Book wrote:
Yu Angel wrote:Zhang Bao(zhang fei's son) Zhang Bao(zhang Jiao's brother) have the same names too.

Anywasys, what exactly happened to the sword of light that Zhao Yun took from Xiahou En.

Well, history didn't really stated that Cao Cao got such a sword but at novel, after Zhao Yun took it, it disspeared at SGYY scene. :D

Also, let me add that Xiahou En didn't exist in SGZ either.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

i have one

Unread postby si ma yian » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:21 am

did si ma yi realy hack wei??? i mean did he realy like getting army and bulid his own kingdoom??? and is zheng ji wife of yuan tan?? and got rap by cao pi? :)
si ma yian
Tyro

Was Lü Bu (Fengxian) a descendant of Lü Buwei?

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:25 am

I've looked at the available information about Lü Bu at KMA and in my own sources, but I cannot find an answer to the following question. Was Lü Bu (Fengxian) a descendant of Lü Buwei, the much earlier prime minister of Qin and author of the Spring & Autumn Annals? (If so, what was the nature of the ancestry--direct, indirect, adopted, etc.?) Thank you in advance. :)
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Re: i have one

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:01 am

si ma yian wrote:did si ma yi realy hack wei??? i mean did he realy like getting army and bulid his own kingdoom??? and is zheng ji wife of yuan tan?? and got rap by cao pi? :)

Not say getting his own army but Sima Yi controlled the armies of Wei after he defeated Cao Shuang in a political race. Yes, Zhen Ji was the wife of either Yuan Tan or Yuan Xi, not remember. Not say got rap by Cao Pi but Cao Pi marry her after defeated Yuan Tan or Xi. 8-)
Mengdez New Book
No Title

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium