Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Sun Siling » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:45 pm

Great Deer wrote:
Kevz wrote:I m waondering how did PangDe died? and the duel between Guan Yu and Pang De, who is the victorist?

I'll try to reply your queries based on Pang De's SGZ biography. :D

Pang De died when he was captured and executed by Guan Yu. This happened after a flash flood came and flooded his army. Pang De was the victor in that duel and because Pang De was riding on a white horse, Guan Yu's soldiers became scared of the white horse general.

Didn't Pang De got captured by Guan Yu, Cao Ren/Pi got killled or I think released. And then Pang De killed himself?
"Learn from the past, Live in the present, Plan for the future."
But sometimes you learn from friends too ^_^
Sun Siling
Academic

Unread postby DarkAnthem » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:54 pm

Sun Siling wrote:Didn't Pang De got captured by Guan Yu, Cao Ren/Pi got killled or I think released. And then Pang De killed himself?

Nope, Pang De was captured after their camps were flooded by rain, and he refused to surrender thus was executed.

Neither Cao Ren or Cao Pi got killed there. Cao Pi wasn't even involved in the battles. After Pang De was executed, Cao Ren was still under siege in Fan Castle and later relieved by Xu Huang's reinforcements.
DarkAnthem
Master

Unread postby Sun Siling » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:06 pm

DarkAnthem wrote:
Sun Siling wrote:Didn't Pang De got captured by Guan Yu, Cao Ren/Pi got killled or I think released. And then Pang De killed himself?

Nope, Pang De was captured after their camps were flooded by rain, and he refused to surrender thus was executed.

Neither Cao Ren or Cao Pi got killed there. Cao Pi wasn't even involved in the battles. After Pang De was executed, Cao Ren was still under siege in Fan Castle and later relieved by Xu Huang's reinforcements.

Hm...but I thought that Pang De and Cao Ren was still in the castle, and then the castle got flooded and Pang De got captured while Cao Ren went to Cao Cao? I guess my thoughts were wrong.
Sun Siling
Academic

Unread postby DarkAnthem » Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:54 pm

Sun Siling wrote:Hm...but I thought that Pang De and Cao Ren was still in the castle, and then the castle got flooded and Pang De got captured while Cao Ren went to Cao Cao? I guess my thoughts were wrong.

The reinforcements were flooded, not the castle. Yu Jin led reinforcements for Cao Ren after Guan Yu surrounded Cao Ren at Fan Castle; Pang De went along with Yu Jin. Yu Jin's camps were flooded and Pang De was captured.
DarkAnthem
Master

Unread postby Jimayo » Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:39 pm

DarkAnthem wrote:The reinforcements were flooded, not the castle. Yu Jin led reinforcements for Cao Ren after Guan Yu surrounded Cao Ren at Fan Castle; Pang De went along with Yu Jin. Yu Jin's camps were flooded and Pang De was captured.

You are almost exactly right. The castle did get flooded too though.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Yu Angel » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:42 pm

uhmmm did diao chan really play the violin? or sumthin like that... and exactly what is a songsmistress?
I am Yu Angel of Ru Nan!You will not pass.
Yu Angel
Tyro

Unread postby rcsha » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:56 pm

Yu Angel wrote:uhmmm did diao chan really play the violin? or sumthin like that... and exactly what is a songsmistress?

Diao Chan is actually not a real person. She was based on a folktale made about a handmaiden that Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu both liked.

But to answer your questions:
No, the violin was not introduced to China (or invented for that matter) at this time. She may have played the Zither or such though.

A Songsmistress is like a Minstreal. It's a handmaiden who, rather than get thie rmasters stuff, plays music or dances/sings for them.
Dickjutsu.com
The Bruce Lee of Dickery.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Sun Siling » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:14 am

rcsha wrote:
Yu Angel wrote:uhmmm did diao chan really play the violin? or sumthin like that... and exactly what is a songsmistress?

Diao Chan is actually not a real person. She was based on a folktale made about a handmaiden that Dong Zhuo and Lu Bu both liked.

But to answer your questions:
No, the violin was not introduced to China (or invented for that matter) at this time. She may have played the Zither or such though.

A Songsmistress is like a Minstreal. It's a handmaiden who, rather than get thie rmasters stuff, plays music or dances/sings for them.

You mean that thing that looks like a violen but flt and retanglish with about 5 strings going across?
Sun Siling
Academic

Unread postby Maria » Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:38 pm

A songmistress is what you call a Geisha in Japan. Basically, they're girls who sing and dance. They also accompany great lords to parties as well. However, don't confuse them with prostitutes. A songmistress is a lady with her own rights. At least I know that in Japan the Geishas had special schools for practice. Not sure about in ancient China though.

From what I gather, I think they either play a Guzheng, an equivalent of Japanes Koto, or an Erhu. Dynasty Warriors' version of Diao Chan has hed playing the Erhu in a few occassions.
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Sun jian » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:46 pm

Mengdez New Book wrote:
Sun jian wrote:Does anyone know about the Sun family line? If Sun Jian's father was a farmer, how did Jian get any status? Also, where can i find out about the Sun family in great detail? I'm curious about the descendants of my favorite character; along with others I'm sure. 8-)

When Sun Jian was 17 years old, he followed his father to go to Qian Tang. They travelled by Boat. Then, the boat stopped when they saw a group of pirates at the Island nearby. Sun Jian went to have a check and came back told his father that he could defeat those pirates. He pretended that he was goverment officers. He shouted and kept waving his hands to fool those pirates. Those pirates thought that the officers were coming to capture them quickly flee for thier life. From that day on, Sun Jian became famous. He was invited by governor of Wu. There, he helped the governor to guard the city and captured theives or robbers.

After a year pass, the Yellow Turban Rebellion occured. The governor of Wu received a task from Han government, he promoted Sun Jian to be Si Ma (Dynasty Han rank's name) and sent him to attacked Xu Sheng (one of the Yellow Turban's head). He recruited about 1,000 strong peasants and launched his attack. He broke Xu Sheng's armies and executed him during the war. I think from here he began to show his talent until entered the Sanguo stage. :D

Oops, i didn't see Great Deer thread, sorry about that. :?

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that about him. Does anyone know about whether or not Kongming used the Art of War strategies during the war? Also, does anyone know about Sun Tzu himself and why wrote the book to begin with?
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium