Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Russ » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:44 pm

Yu Angel wrote:Is it true the Huang Zhong was the master of the bow? if so, then how was he?

Depends how seriously you take the title "Master". i really ont think he was given that as an official tile, I may be wrong, but I believe he was an amazing bowman. Probably one of the best.
Russ
Legendary

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:03 am

Azrael wrote:Exactly how many you said. The 10,000 were sick though. It's not hard to beat up on sick men, regardless of how they outnumber you.

So you mean to say that Sun Quan was dumb enough to bring 10000 invalids to war? :D
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Jimayo » Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:24 am

Great Deer wrote:So you mean to say that Sun Quan was dumb enough to bring 10000 invalids to war? :D

I don't think it was in his plans for them to get sick. And of course I'm not saying they were all sick, but even still.

"K, guys, we're attacking He Fei. On the way I want you all to come down with dysentery."
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:51 am

Azrael wrote:I don't think it was in his plans for them to get sick. And of course I'm not saying they were all sick, but even still.

"K, guys, we're attacking He Fei. On the way I want you all to come down with dysentery."

Care to elaborate on where you get that fact that the majority of Sun Quan's soldiers (or his vanguard rather) were sick? :D

edit: Ok. I've checked that out. It was mentioned in Gan Ning's SGZ biography. However, IMO, this would make Zhang Liao's feat more believable, less incredible, but equally impressive. The reason is because it seems almost impossible for Zhang Liao's troops to defeat a force that was 10 times his size in an open engagement/melee. When I was reading his biography, it sounded so incredible. However, now that you've mentioned it, it sounded more down-to-earth and I find it easier to praise Zhang Liao for his courage (compared to before). Thanks Denny. :D
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Jimayo » Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:42 am

Great Deer wrote:Care to elaborate on where you get that fact that the majority of Sun Quan's soldiers (or his vanguard rather) were sick? :D

edit: Ok. I've checked that out. It was mentioned in Gan Ning's SGZ biography. However, IMO, this would make Zhang Liao's feat more believable, less incredible, but equally impressive. The reason is because it seems almost impossible for Zhang Liao's troops to defeat a force that was 10 times his size in an open engagement/melee. When I was reading his biography, it sounded so incredible. However, now that you've mentioned it, it sounded more down-to-earth and I find it easier to praise Zhang Liao for his courage (compared to before). Thanks Denny. :D

Oh wow. I knew something Chris didn't. WOOHOO!!!! How proud am I. And dude, it's not impressive. How hard is it to chop up a guy who is so dizzy he can't see straight because he's been crapping and puking his brains out?
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:05 am

Azrael wrote:
Oh wow. I knew something Chris didn't. WOOHOO!!!! How proud am I. And dude, it's not impressive. How hard is it to chop up a guy who is so dizzy he can't see straight because he's been crapping and puking his brains out?

hehehe..you'd realize this soon enough when you get to read more stuffs. :D

Anyway, there is no suggestion to say that the majority of Sun Quan's troops were sick. It only mentioned that there was sickness. Also, the type of sickness was not known. From the description given in Zhang Liao and Li Dian's SGZ bio, it seemed that those "sick" soldiers were giving Zhang Liao and Li Dian a very difficult time.

Another thing is, if say 80% of Sun Quan's troops were down with sickness, it would be dumb for him to continue his advance to He Fei instead of retreating. Sickness overall should have an effect on the fight capability of the army. However, I don't think it is to the exaggerated extent which you implied. It is not as if Zhang Liao could go to the sick guy, give him a push, and he would fall over. :lol:
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Jimayo » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:22 am

Well if they were really sick...

There were five hundred of us, and we came upon the rebel force, seven thousand strong, encamped in a Scrag wood. We attacked at first light, and ended the revolt before the day was out. There were no rebels left by sunset.
Very impressive, general.
Not really. Nearly all their men had their pants down around their ankles. You ever try to fight when the grips had your guts?
I haven't.
Everyone called us heroes, but it doesn't take a hero to split a man's skull when he's so dizzy with diarrhea that he can hardly lift his head. I wasn't proud of what we did, but it was our duty, and we ended the revolt, and undoubtedly prevented the greater bloodshed that would have occurred if their force had gotten well and escaped us. No telling what they would of done, how many more would of died.
But they didn't. We took them down because they were sick with dysentery and couldn't keep their feet.
Jimayo

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:13 am

Azrael wrote:
There were five hundred of us, and we came upon the rebel force, seven thousand strong, encamped in a Scrag wood. We attacked at first light, and ended the revolt before the day was out. There were no rebels left by sunset.
Very impressive, general.
Not really. Nearly all their men had their pants down around their ankles. You ever try to fight when the grips had your guts?
I haven't.
Everyone called us heroes, but it doesn't take a hero to split a man's skull when he's so dizzy with diarrhea that he can hardly lift his head. I wasn't proud of what we did, but it was our duty, and we ended the revolt, and undoubtedly prevented the greater bloodshed that would have occurred if their force had gotten well and escaped us. No telling what they would of done, how many more would of died.
But they didn't. We took them down because they were sick with dysentery and couldn't keep their feet.

Honestly, do you think this is meaningful in a historical discussion? Personal speculation? :roll:
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Jimayo » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:36 am

Great Deer wrote:Honestly, do you think this is meaningful in a historical discussion? Personal speculation? :roll:

Dude, are they gonna mention a sickness if it relatively minor.

"Oh, and they all had colds."

I mean come on. There had to be some seriousness to it.
Jimayo

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Wed Mar 05, 2003 5:45 pm

Guys, this thread is for people to ask questions, debate can take place in a new thread.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium