Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:33 pm

Allow me to add in some of the extra information. :D

For jiuwan, i think you can find 1,2 answer at the dabate between you and me. :)

jiuwan wrote:3)Guan Yu's supposed taking someone's wife while in the services of Cao Cao.

Yes, the lady who Guan Yu wanted to marry was Lu Bu's officer Qin Yi Lu's wife but Cao Cao takan her first. For more information, see Guan Yu SGZ bio, note 《蜀引》.

jiuwan wrote:7)Zhuge Liang's summoning of the winds at Chi Bi. It is easy to see that LGZ overexaggerated when he said Zhuge actually summoned the winds. But in the novel LGZ also stated that Zhuge calculated the approximate time that the winds will blow, so that would contradict LGZ stated with the actual summoning of the winds. Now historically where did Zhou Yu find the actual information for the day that the winds would blow? He himself did know. And I highly doubt that he asked a fisherman or one of the locals nearby. Because wasn't it said that there hasn't been a southwest wind blowing in that area in winter (I think it's winter during the battle of Chi Bi) for a long time. So would the assumption that Zhuge Liang actually did the calculations historically be more correct?

Well, i don't think so. Most probably it was done by the generals of Dong Wu. They were good in naval battle and lived long enough at Jiang Dong. So, they should know the changing of wind or season at there.

jiuwan wrote:8)The Yellow Turban Rebellion. LGZ overexaggerated on the rebellion, but what about the historical aspect to it? Because there was an actual rebellion that took place that paved the way for the Three Kingdoms event to take place.

Actually, the Yellow Turban Rebellion was quite systematic if you compare with Chen Sheng's rebellion during Qin Dynasty after the death of Qin Shi Huang. The head Yellow Turban Rebellion was Zhang Jiao. He used Tai Ping Dao (One of the Taoisme during end of Dong Han) to gathered his force. First, he declared himself as 大賢良師 (How to translate :?: ) and his brother as 大醫 -----> should be great doctor in English. Then, he sent eight of his followers out to gather even larger force. After few years, Zhang Jiao followers spread until Qing, Xu, You, Yi, Jing, Yang, Kun and Yu Zhou. When they rose to rebel, Zhang Jiao lead his followers to attack North at Yi Zhou, his other follower, Zhang Man Cheng attacked South near Nan Yang while another two Zhang Jiao's followers attacked East at Ru Nan and Chen Guo. These actions really shocked Dong Han government, the force had to be gathered in order to stop the rebellion. After the rebellion had been stopped, Dong Han Dynasty actually vanished in Chinese history while Sanguo Era slowly began.

Well, this is only few descriptions about Yellow Turban Rebellions, to be truth, it was quite a long story. If you want to hear it more, i would be happy to tell you. :D Anyway, currently i am quite loaded with works, i will write it down if i have spare time.

jiuwan wrote:9)The love triangle between Cao Pi(ZiHuan), Zhen Ji, and Cao Zhi (ZiJian). The actual tale of the three wasn't directly stated in SGYY, but was stated in the movie series derived from SGYY.

Not much proof that there are love triangle in Wei. Anyway, people tend to view Cao Zhi's poem Luo Shen Fu was the poem which described the love story between him and Zhen Ji.

jiuwan wrote:10)Cao Cao setting out to massacre XuZhou in retalion on Tao Qian for the murder of his father Cao Song (I think that was his name)

According to my book, view from modern Sanguo researcher, Cao Cao wanted to attack Tao Qian for two reasons. First, Cao Cao angry when Tao Qian allied with Gongsun Zan to fight against him and Yuan Shao. Second, Tao Qian helped Yuan Shu to attack Kun Zhou. When Cao Cao decided to attack Xu Zhou, he called his father and brother back but they were killed by Tao Qian's offer, Zhang Kai. This made Cao Cao furious and brought a huge destruction to Xu Zhou.

Dark Anthem wrote:I don't think their father did anything significant. Zhou Yu's bio refers to him as "Qiao Gong" (??) which is a respectful way of refering to him and not his real name. I'm not too sure what his real name is; I think it's Qiao Mao but I'm not certain.

There are two resources mentioned about Da Qiao and Xiao Qiao. One is Zhou Yu SGZ bio and one is Jiang Biao Zhuan. Well, i don't find any Qiao Mao name in it. Anyway, one thing need to take note here is Da Qiao or Xiao Qiao chinese character should be 橋 and not 喬.
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Unread postby Uffern » Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:41 pm

Why is it that the common name between Guan Yu and Guan Ping comes first, but the common name between Xiao Qiao and Da Qiao comes second? Shouldn't it be Qiao Xiao and Qiao Da?
Uffern
Tyro

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:48 pm

Uffern wrote:Why is it that the common name between Guan Yu and Guan Ping comes first, but the common name between Xiao Qiao and Da Qiao comes second? Shouldn't it be Qiao Xiao and Qiao Da?

"Guan" is the surname/family name and in chinese, the surname is displayed before the given name.
In the case of Qiaos, these are more like nicknames. I'm not sure if those are truly the names given by their parents though... (personally, I doubt it)
The character for "Da" literally means "big" and "Xiao" is "small". Qiao is their surname. I think these names are given to them primarily to indicate which one was the elder (Da Qiao) and which was the younger sister (Xiao Qiao)
Last edited by Zhanghe_of_Wei on Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Knowledge is not as important as imagination. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" - Albert Einstein
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that counts. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:34 pm

I have a question..can anyone tell me what really happened at the battle of He Fei? I always heard Zhang Liao used 800 men to fend off 10,000 and while that would be awesome it has also been said it never happened like that.I was just wondering what the truth is. How many men did he have and how many did he hold off? He really did have his fearsome reputation didn't he or was that made up too?
Short version of a quote by Thales:
Of all things;God = most ancient;he is uncreated,Universe=most beautiful;God's work,Space=greatest;holds all,Swiftest=mind;speeds
everywhere,Strongest=necessity;masters all,Wisest=time; brings all things to light
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:43 pm

I'm sorry I do have one other question... :oops: I keep hearing about Meng De's New Book or something like that and did read that he wrote it and burned it..my question:Did he really write such a book and is it still in existence?
Of all things;God = most ancient;he is uncreated,Universe=most beautiful;God's work,Space=greatest;holds all,Swiftest=mind;speeds
everywhere,Strongest=necessity;masters all,Wisest=time; brings all things to light
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Unread postby Mega Zarak » Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:01 pm

Cherry_Blossom wrote:I have a question..can anyone tell me what really happened at the battle of He Fei? I always heard Zhang Liao used 800 men to fend off 10,000 and while that would be awesome it has also been said it never happened like that.I was just wondering what the truth is. How many men did he have and how many did he hold off? He really did have his fearsome reputation didn't he or was that made up too?

Sun Quan launched a series of attacks at He Fei during his reign. Nevertheless, I guess you're refering to the one where Zhang Liao did a great job defending against overwhelming odds. Here's the thread for it http://www.the-scholars.com/viewtopic.p ... c&start=10

Otherwise, you can always look up SGZ where Zhang Liao's feats were mentioned in his biography.

Cherry_Blossom wrote:I'm sorry I do have one other question... I keep hearing about Meng De's New Book or something like that and did read that he wrote it and burned it..my question:Did he really write such a book and is it still in existence?

If I remember correctly, that book doesn't exist (since it was not mentioned in SGZ). However, Cao Cao did annotate Sun Tzu's Art of War. :D
Mega Zarak
Grand Tutor of Wei

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:17 pm

:shock: Wow! That was helpful and informative and exactly what I had wanted! Thanks!! :D

I can't believe I read Sun Tzu's Art of War and never even realized!! :lol:
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Unread postby Jimayo » Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:44 pm

Cherry_Blossom wrote:I have a question..can anyone tell me what really happened at the battle of He Fei? I always heard Zhang Liao used 800 men to fend off 10,000 and while that would be awesome it has also been said it never happened like that.I was just wondering what the truth is. How many men did he have and how many did he hold off? He really did have his fearsome reputation didn't he or was that made up too?

There were a lot of battles of He Fei(like 17).

Yes.

Exactly how many you said. The 10,000 were sick though. It's not hard to beat up on sick men, regardless of how they outnumber you.

Yes.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby zhugeliang_reborn » Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:13 pm

I have a question about war....
how many soldiers were in a company? A legion?

I think that a company is 1000, and a legion is 10 000, but I'm not sure..... can someone verify it?
zhugeliang_reborn
Tyro

Unread postby Yu Angel » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:03 pm

Is it true the Huang Zhong was the master of the bow? if so, then how was he?
I am Yu Angel of Ru Nan!You will not pass.
Yu Angel
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium