Swearing

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Swearing

Unread postby Jimayo » Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:50 am

I've recently had a complaint about my sig(which has the f word in it, but completely blocked so as not to offend the more sensitive of you, although apparently that does) which got me to thinking, why are the so-called swears considered taboo? It makes no sense to me. I can understand at one time when they were generally only used to insult another person, but many of them have an expanded role nowadays, so why still taboo? There's no real reason to fear a word like people do.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby James » Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:24 am

I certainly couldn’t speak for everyone on this, but most of the common swear words have never really offended me. The word that would be in your signature, along with others (e.g. d***, s***) offends me in absolutely no context.

I think maybe people are raised to be offended by these words. In many instances I suspect religion plays a major role, as it is made out to be such an amazingly big deal.

What does bother me is when a person swears repeatedly with absolutely no reason or cause. That comes across as just trying to fit in with a crowd, or perhaps they think they are cool? Either way, it is just moronic and it makes people seem like idiots. Offend me though? Only if they are doing it in front of children.

Vulgar language that does offend me? People who use language to hurt people that depend on or look up to them. When a man calls a lady a w*ore, for example, I want to slap him around a little bit to teach him some courtesy.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lightsyde » Sat Mar 01, 2003 6:29 am

i am an italian catholic....things get REALLY bad around my family.
Guess what? I've got a feevah, and the only prescription, is more cow-bell.
Lightsyde
Master

Unread postby Maria » Sat Mar 01, 2003 8:19 am

I swear like a sailor. Of course when the place is appropriate (i.e. not here, or in the mosque, or in class). I'm hardly offended with all these terms, but of course for instances when someone calls me s**t, I'm gonna slap whoever it is. I think as long as it is used not to boldly offense someone, it should be okay. "The test was f***ing hard!" and "F*** off, s**t!" are two different things.

Anyway, that's my two cents. My bro and I always exchange curses whenever we fight. Of course, he knows better than to offend his big sis.
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby CK » Sat Mar 01, 2003 9:05 am

The amazing thing about the f word is it is so multi-dimensional, can be applied in possibly all context that I really feel that its an essential part of the language.

Which is why I also do not understand why people would be offended. :roll:
Truth is always partial

Absense of dream creates nothing but dream creates absense if you do nothing
CK
Changshi

Unread postby James » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:06 am

madaboutck wrote:The amazing thing about the f word is it is so multi-dimensional, can be applied in possibly all context that I really feel that its an essential part of the language.
Which is why I also do not understand why people would be offended. :roll:

That is exactly why the word does not really offend me. It and several other words have been used for everything so in reality they don’t seem to hold much meaning anymore. For example, in D_G’s place if I were called a “f***ing s**t” it wouldn’t be the first part that offended me, but rather the second. It has a very specific and defined meaning.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:12 pm

madaboutck wrote:The amazing thing about the f word is it is so multi-dimensional, can be applied in possibly all context that I really feel that its an essential part of the language.

Yes, swear words can contain many meanings, that's the reason I think it is used. Swearing is a sign of the lack of culture or sophistication. While I don't really mind it when people swear, often it is a sign that the person swearing cannot express his emotions in more appropriate or specific vocabulary. Other times, swearing is a sign of a person's callousness to others. If a person was raised thinking that f***** refers to a nice person, then please do use it by all means. Most of the time, however, people are raised knowing the negative connotation of a word, but they choose to use it frequently when referring to some other people or things. It is rude and discourteous.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Travis » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:58 pm

Actually, in Christianity, swearing is only bad if you use the Lord's name in it, or if you are intending to offend people with it. :lol:
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:08 pm

Schwarz Bruder wrote:Actually, in Christianity, swearing is only bad if you use the Lord's name in it, or if you are intending to offend people with it. :lol:

Although in most cases Christians are very strict about any use of words they personally feel are unacceptable no matter what the instance of use is. Many of them grow up in highly religious families and are taught from day one that certain words are just incredibly rude and impolite. Some families I know take it too far. My fater was all but screamed at by a lady for calling the French “Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys”, not because he insulted the French, but because he used the “vulgar” word “monkey”. :lol:

(Got a little off topic there, I am not saying that all Christians are hyper sensitive about language).
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jimayo » Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:19 pm

The Yellow Dwarf wrote:Yes, swear words can contain many meanings, that's the reason I think it is used. Swearing is a sign of the lack of culture or sophistication. While I don't really mind it when people swear, often it is a sign that the person swearing cannot express his emotions in more appropriate or specific vocabulary. Other times, swearing is a sign of a person's callousness to others. If a person was raised thinking that f***** refers to a nice person, then please do use it by all means. Most of the time, however, people are raised knowing the negative connotation of a word, but they choose to use it frequently when referring to some other people or things. It is rude and discourteous.

I'd argue it being a lack of culture or sophistication. I just don't agree with people that it's wrong.

It's like this thing about wearing a hat indoors being rude. No ones been able to tell me why it's rude, so I totally don't agree with it. Same thing with so-called swear words. If it's not used insultingly, I don't understand why it's rude.

Besides, just because my parents believed it's negative, does that mean I should? What am I? Sheep?
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Next

Return to Current Affairs