America, a democracy?

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

America, a democratic country?

yes
18%
no
80%
never thought of it
2%

Total votes : 49

America, a democracy?

Unread postby CK » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:24 pm

In my honest opinion, it is obvious that while America always spoke of equality and being democratic, it never was despite the encouraging and tremendous improvements that it did make in its whole history.

The problem is, however, there are still very disturbing points about the American society that bothers me even till now. Clearly, while white Europeans can assimilate into the American pretty easily because they are to put it plainly whites, the other hyphenated Americans are still being looked at differently.

The thing is, I do not really know what is going on since I have only skimmed the surface now and based most of my theories on history. But, what is happening to the poor, the homosexuals, the Hispanics and Afro-Americans and the constant attacks on immigration and recent attack on Turban wearing people?

Would you as an American acknowledge that its a tough struggle for democracy or would you say that my opinions are unfounded?
Truth is always partial

Absense of dream creates nothing but dream creates absense if you do nothing
CK
Changshi

Unread postby Lu Xun » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:32 pm

Sadly, what you said is true. As much as we go on about democracy, our country is driven by capitalism and greed, the people in power (rich whites) are doing all the can to keep other groups from seizing power. The trouble is, it is difficult to change things when people are apathetic to the injustices going on right now in our own country.

I advise anyone who sees injustice to do something about it, whether by action of voicing your opinion to someone in a position of power. Yes, it is true that you can't beat the system (as an individual), but you can change it for the better, you can weaken the system so that others can assist you inn you task of making our world a better place for us all.
*steps down from soap box because lunch break is over* ^_^
性高潮枪
"Cheap sandal-maker! Do you always send your little bastard to the field?
If I call my little yellowbeard Cao Zhang over, he'll make meatballs of him!"
- Mengde
Lu Xun
Crown Prince of Shen Zhou

Location: Drinking wine, writing poems, and spending time with my concubines

Unread postby Sun jian » Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:48 pm

Lu Xun wrote:Sadly, what you said is true. As much as we go on about democracy, our country is driven by capitalism and greed, the people in power (rich whites) are doing all the can to keep other groups from seizing power. The trouble is, it is difficult to change things when people are apathetic to the injustices going on right now in our own country.

I advise anyone who sees injustice to do something about it, whether by action of voicing your opinion to someone in a position of power. Yes, it is true that you can't beat the system (as an individual), but you can change it for the better, you can weaken the system so that others can assist you inn you task of making our world a better place for us all.
*steps down from soap box because lunch break is over* ^_^

i agree with you about each of us doing our part but i think this country wouldn't have those problems if it was ran like England. or they would've been resolved by now. 8-) democracy takes too long to make decisions but i personally favor monarchy as a government. we're all free to our opinions and that's mine. 8-)
Sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lion's Mane » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:18 pm

Well, other than the simple fact that America is a Republic and not a Democracy doesn't change my views.

The elected officials (hence the Republic and not the Democracy) get in power nowadays by slander and making their opponents look worse than them. Especially true in the state I live in are party loyalties, this one based off of Mormonism. Almost everyone in the state votes Republican. Nevermind that the other guy may have better views, ideas, or what have you. I'm sorry to say, as far as Utah goes, that Constitutional issue of the seperation of church and state does not exist. If the church says vote for someone, almost every member votes for someone.

As was said in a class I attended in college, there is a myth that anyone can become President of the United States. However, that's exactly what it is, a myth. Not even mentioning the "requirements" for being president (which, if anyone can become president, why require anything, which is my point), you have absolutely no chance if your family isn't well-to-do, and you've not attended an Ivy League school.

As Lu Xun said, the country is based off of capitalism. Our national bank was founded BY the rich and wealthy. While it was closed by various presidents over the years, the fact is, the entire government runs off of debt, and the wealthy have a vested interest in the survival of the government. Though that would be interesting to see what happens to them if our government crashes.

Anyway, in general terms, I'd call America a Capitalism. It's a wholly consumer based government, where the wealthy do hold the power. I really do think we've lost the vision of what the British colonists rebelled against.
Remember, children, "No two people are not on fire."
Lion's Mane
Lord of Annwn
Lord of Annwn

Unread postby Travis » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:44 pm

America wasn't a democracy to begin with, the Founding Fathers themselves thought it was a ridiculous governing system. They orginally set up a Republic/Representative Democratic System.
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby CK » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:50 pm

I would like to believe that I know the USA is a republic and that is its political foundation. The issue is why would it address democratic notions and ideals while not doing enough.

Perhaps I should use the term democratic republic to prevent future confrontations and mislead concepts.
Truth is always partial

Absense of dream creates nothing but dream creates absense if you do nothing
CK
Changshi

Unread postby Chen Kun » Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:52 pm

after experiencing myself,I have to admit that America is quite democratic,but maybe after black september,the situation is changing :?
I AM CHEN KUN OF SOC,WHO DARE TO CHALLENGE ME?
Chen Kun
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lu Fengxian » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:31 pm

America is, under the current regieme a Pultocratic Idiocracy (or rule by the stupid rich), but thats just my views.
At that moment Li Ru spotted a man standing behind Ding Yuan, a massive presence that inspired a shiver of awe. The man was clenching a figured halberd with two side blades, his eyes filled with anger.
Lu Fengxian
Assistant

Unread postby rcsha » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:46 pm

Lu Fengxian wrote:America is, under the current regieme a Pultocratic Idiocracy (or rule by the stupid rich), but thats just my views.

That's cute...I like that title.:lol:

Nonetheless, America was founded on the basis of being a Replublic. It's not even democratic in it's elections...the President is decided by the electoral vote...a group of people picked out by the government to decide the Ruler of the country. That's not democratic...that's about as reduntant as you get. The President decides one who gets to decide on who to become President (admittingly it's not that simple but still, lol).

Here's a rundown of meanings:
Democracy-A government run by the people, themselves.
Republic-A Goverment run by people, who are chosen from withint the common populace.

Henceforth, America is truly not a Democracy. The only Democratic thing that we have is the mindless voting we do...
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:56 am

That's why you ppl can come to Canada ^_^ FREE PASSPORTS!!! ^___^
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Next

Return to Current Affairs