Happy Birthday!

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Happy Birthday!

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu May 23, 2019 10:43 am

LiuBeiWasGreat, I hope your day was great! :pika:
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 23, 2019 11:05 am

Happy Birthday LiuBeiWasGreat and hope you have something lovely planned to celebrate you.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri May 24, 2019 1:58 pm

Happy Birthday, plunged! Have a quality day!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri May 24, 2019 2:20 pm

Hope you have a great Birthday weekend ahead of plunged
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:00 am

Happy Birthday Jia Nanfeng, hope you have a wonderful time however you choose to celebrate your big day
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:24 pm

Thank you. :D I feel like it was just recently that y’all were wishing me a happy birthday and here we are again. Time goes too fast!

I’m leveling up to Level 31! :shock:
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:25 pm

Yeah I can’t believe a year has passed! Happy birthday Jia! Did you get any exciting new books this year? :lol:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:03 pm

My mom gifted me Classical Chinese Tales of the Supernatural and the Fantastic by Karl Kao. In hardcover, which made me happy — so few of my Chinese studies books are hardcover.

I started reading it last night. Much of the anecdotes so far are repeats from my other books, which was to be expected, but his translation style adds some flair here and there. So far my biggest complaint is the lack of an index — typically books like these have indexes so you can search by name at the very least. No index makes this less useful for research; I’ll be sticky noting any page with 3K or Jin stories though.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:51 pm

Glad you got something you wanted! :D If I was only to buy one book on Chinese folklore would this be the one you’d recommend or do you prefer one of your previous purchases?
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:43 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Glad you got something you wanted! :D If I was only to buy one book on Chinese folklore would this be the one you’d recommend or do you prefer one of your previous purchases?

I wouldn't recommend this book above the others, no.

If I could only recommend one book about Chinese folklore, it'd be A Garden of Marvels: Tales of Wonder from Early Medieval China by Robert Campany. Really you couldn't go wrong with any Campany book (he's awesome) but that's the book I typically recommend for people new to the genre. :D
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub