Watched any good movies recently?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Watched any good movies recently?

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:26 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I went to see Captain Marvel over the Easter period. I'd heard mixed things about it but went in with an open mind. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not a stand out Marvel movie - it doesn't compare to Winter Soldier or Iron Man or Civil War - but it was a solid entry. Although I'm still missing Ant Man and the Wasp, Homecoming and Black Panther I'm feeling moderately set up for End Game.

Homecoming barely ties in to anything important and Black Panther takes place before Infinity War so I'm guessing you're good to go there.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:43 am

Yeah, I read the plot to Black Panther before seeing infinity wars so I can do that for Ant-Man and the wasp if I need to!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:57 am

So I saw Avengers: Endgame.

I still dunno what I think of it yet. I will say this much - I would have done a few key things differently.

That said, it is a satisfactory conclusion to this chapter of the MCU.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:32 pm

I also saw it last night! I loved it. We’re there somethings I’d do differently, sure. But I thought they got all the big stuff right!

One thing that did upset me, why bring back Natalie Portman and then not shoot a scene opposite Hemsworth? I know the video of her getting up was old footage but apparently they did ask to record her speaking for the echoey bit!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby zirroxas » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:58 am

Saw Endgame. Was mostly ecstatic with what I saw. Excellent end of an era. A bit gratuitous at times, but it had earned it in most cases.

Only had a couple problems with the movie (major spoilers):

I felt Banner's arc was a lot weaker than all the other original Avengers. I don't know if they have more planned for him, but compared to the other five, who get great sendoffs, his role is a lot more limited and doesn't seem to go anywhere. He isn't bad by any means, but there's no scene with him that I can point to as the climax of his arc. I think this is mostly because his big conflict, the split between Banner and the Hulk, is resolved offscreen during the timeskip. His relationship with Nat is subordinated to Clint's relationship with her and while his mourning of her is treated well, it's feels anticlimactic. Hulk never even gets a rematch with Thanos, which I found disappointing.

I still have no idea what Captain Marvel is doing in this movie. She's got about 5-10 minutes of screentime total, and most of it is just using her as a plot device/deus ex machina. She has no meaningful interactions with the other characters (her attitude towards the other Avengers bordered on condescending), not even a conversation with Fury after the funeral. It's never explained what why she never dealt with Thanos as he slaughtered planets for the years she was active (since she's shown to be his equal in combat), nor why she wasn't called in on the time travel mission or any of the other extinction level events that Earth faced prior, since she could've ended them quickly with almost no casualties. She's never given any real connection to the conflict other than the fact that its on Earth (which she treats dismissively) and the fact that Fury got dusted (which we only get a single flat reaction shot for). I like overpowered characters, since they can open up interesting routes and themes (see: Scarlet Witch), but her story here was done with no nuance or imagination. She just...vanishes for 95% of the movie.

Otherwise, excellent film. Too much to praise to do it all here. Instant recommend.
I don't underrate the value of military knowledge, but if men make war in slavish obedience to rules, they will fail. - Ulysses S. Grant
zirroxas
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:08 am

spoilers
Yeah I agree, Captain Marvel's presence in Endgame was a bit off. Part of me wondered if her role was reduced over criticisms related to her own movie (like the anti-feminism complaints and her being overpowered stuff). I was kind of expecting her to show up near the end and thrash Thanos...which seems like it will happen,
until he ends up shrugging her off.

As far as what I would have done differently, I would basically have switched Stark and Rogers' sendoffs. Stark deserved to retire and enjoy life with Pepper and Morgan. Rogers going back in time to be with Peggy wasn't really something that I found to be necessary.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:12 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:
spoilers
Yeah I agree, Captain Marvel's presence in Endgame was a bit off. Part of me wondered if her role was reduced over criticisms related to her own movie (like the anti-feminism complaints and her being overpowered stuff). I was kind of expecting her to show up near the end and thrash Thanos...which seems like it will happen,
until he ends up shrugging her off.

As far as what I would have done differently, I would basically have switched Stark and Rogers' sendoffs. Stark deserved to retire and enjoy life with Pepper and Morgan. Rogers going back in time to be with Peggy wasn't really something that I found to be necessary.

I've read on a few places that
spoilers
Her Endgame scenes were apparently shot before Captain Marvel was, so reaction to her own movie likely had no effect on Endgame. A quick google search finds it being mentioned in quite a few articles.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:43 pm

I agree with the Hulk sendoff being considerably weaker than the others. Do you think that is the end of the Thor character, or the end of Thor stand-alones? I thought they set it up nicely for him to be part of the Guardian's story line and taking something of a backseat.

I was reasonably pleased with the Captain Marvel role. Not that I felt they used her well but I felt this movie needed to focus on the original six and I thought her presence might outshine them. So I was pleased that she stayed more in the background for this movie (I'm happy for her to be the future of the franchise, but she wasn't the past and that was what this one was about).

I disagree about Iron Man/Captain America endings. CA has always been the kind of hero who would sacrifice himself no matter what. Iron Man is more selfish, that he was willing to go out this way, even though he had got his happy ending with Pepper Potts and his daughter, I though showed great character growth from his first movie.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed May 01, 2019 9:55 am

Tried Brad's Status which has a nice idea, decent family dynamics, a good cast and well done generally but felt it got balance wrong with Brad. I see why his midlife crisis starts but he has such a good life, he made decisions that clearly meant he was never going to be as rich as others so shouldn't be surprised, hard to sympathise with some of what he misses out on. Keanu, adorable cat but comedy wasn't clicking at all.

Watched horror movie Hereditary and Ari Aster debut as first full film as director and of which Zy had mixed views. Was looking for a casual horror film, was expecting big focus on dolls, was different from what we expected. It was an intresting film, a bit slow at times that pulled us out but carefully timed its horror to good effect, strong performance by Toni Collette in particular but rest of cast also did well, very clever visual work by Pawel Pogorzelski, dynamics built up well.

The problem is that as intresting as the film is, it feels slightly long, my sister felt it was prone to bad exposition dialogue and it shoots itself in the foot in the ending phase. I can see what is was trying but it badly failed to meld together its ideas and themes into a coherent ending that quite fitted into what had happened with the film, some of the ending ideas needed better build up.

Me: 6.5, Sis: 6.0
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon May 06, 2019 11:52 am

Watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople due to our like of Taika Waititi's other work, pacing a bit off in first half due to tendency for scenes to go on a bit too long or drift, I liked Bella (Rima Te Wiata) who gave much needed charm and heart to the early scenes. Young Ricky (Julian Dennison) and Uncle Hec (Sam Neill) take more time to gel but they do become intresting figures to watch, they do well in giving the sense of the confidence and ignorance of youth without making it too annoying. Humour is more spread out but some good lines and humour scenes, always had a sense of heart and goodwill, gelled together in second half and picked up pace. Was a pleasant film while seemed to have a serious point about child services

Both: 6.5

Watched Sister Act which I had seen a few times when young but only vaguely remembered, was alright. Thought there would be more humour and felt that while the lines were decent, the performances didn't quite give the jokes as much zing as they perhaps should have. The baddies are a bit corny but it has heart, Whoopi Goldberg is a good lead, they touch on some issues with the intresting dynamic between the lead and Maggie Smith's head nun. When it uses the church choir, the results are really good with some good twists on traditional hymns and songs, I wish there had been more of that.

Me: 6.0 Sis: 6.5

Watched monster movie Rampage (2018 version), started well with dramatic opening set up scene, then humour with Davis Okoye's (Dwayne Johnson) team in wildlife sanctuary, group clicked nicely but both scenes also showed logic errors that plagued the film. Then Okoye's group (but not Okoye) gets dumped for the big adventure which is... just about alright, it both wants to use stereotypes and use Okoye, scientist Dr. Kate Caldwell (Naomie Harris) and agent Agent Harvey Russell (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) to spoof it but the lines lack a certain zing. There are some good jokes but other ones that should have worked but where it doesn't quite click in the delivery and it never shakes that feeling of trying to have cake and eat it, some eye roll moments.

The film had good villains with Malin Åkerman and Jake Lacy have fun as the sibling baddies, their scenes usually quite a bit of fun and click better then the heroes, there is one really good action scene fairly early
wolf in the woods
and rest is decent with a few nice ideas but the big finale goes on a bit too long. Nice ending but a slight feel they hadn't built up certain aspects
George's personality being still there beneath the rage
well enough to get full impact.

Me: 5.5 Sis: 6
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub