The General News Thread

Discuss events that have an impact on you and the world today. A home for honest, serious, and open discussion.

Re: The General News Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:56 am

Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:06 am

Church of England drop rule demanding Churches hold mass on Sunday. It makes sense given less priests meaning they are covering different churches perhaps but never thought I would see this
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:53 pm

Japan apparently doing the entire Olympics in 8k. I suspect a degree of showing off there and trying to encourage a new technology upgrade but wouldn't have forseen that for a few more years at least.

UK wasn't remotely ready for 4k of last year's world cup, we seem miles behind.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:35 am

The Notre-Dame caught fire last night..
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun May 19, 2019 1:04 pm

Eurovision 2019 done, being in Israel led to controversy going into it but they managed to mostly get through without trouble. Dare to Dream was a safe motto, lovely postcards but forcing them to dance led to.... varied results, hosts were alright which is all one wants. Decent opening ceremony, good staging though sound didn't seem 100% great, AR I think is a bit unfair on those in concert. Interval had the good idea of getting strong ex-performers to come in (some winners, some not) and do each other songs and it worked, the Madonna bit did not. They were way too pleased to be blessed by her presence (Eurovision should not bow down to a popstar) and I switched off during performance, it was "would have been bottom five for me" performance.

Did seem to go on a bit too long as a show, was 11pm and Madonna had just started third song when I left. Nice mix of songs, power-ballads, pop, dance, gimp, a few gimmicks. Wasn't a classic year but some songs I'll try again, I did find none of the dance ones where charisma and energy are key worked for us but worked for others, for us it wasn't coming through the screen at all.

results
1) Netherland's Duncan Laurence with Arcade 492

Early favourite and can see why it won, not my type of power-ballad but song awell, decent lyrics, Laurence a bit trying too hard to smoulder for camera. No objections to their victory

2) Italy's Mahmood "Soldi" 465

First of the dance numbers that just left me cold, where the energy and charisma didn't translate for me though got strong reaction in Israel.

3) Russia's Sergey Lazarev with Scream 369

Another impressive third place effort, a good song and a good singer with really impressive stage work involving mirrors and showers.

4) Switzerland Luca Hänni "She Got Me" 360

See Italy

5) Norway's Keiino "Spirit in the Sky" 338

Not a top five one for me, I did like Fred Buljo singing in traditional Sami music, good set, nice tune but song was only fine.

6) Sweden's John Lundvik with Too Late for Love 332

Didn't translate for me, the energy or the charisma but was popular in the stadium and he is apparently a big star. Might work better with a relisten

7) Azerbaijan's Chingiz "Truth" 297

I see why they tried with the heart stuff but didn't particular care for it, forgettable for me

8) North Macedonia's Tamara Todevska with Proud 295

Eighth song, finished 8th. Returning singer clearly passionate about this one, had a good theme and she sung it well, feels a fair placing.

9) Australia's Kate Miller-Heidke "Zero Gravity" 285

About right with the placing, quirky, a nice chorus line, the pole routine is impressive if AR perhaps hides the impressive work, good singer but song wasn't memorable.

10) Iceland's Hatari "Hatrið mun sigra/Hatred will prevail" 234

The gimp, the BDSM clothing, their known views on capitalism and Israel's treatment of Palestine (they agreed to obey rules on this till end scares when they showed Palestinian flags), not being pop (techo-rock I believe?). It is certainly well performed, loud, makes an impression, I was not a fan of the lead singers style but that was taste rather then performance

11) Czech Republic's Lake Malawi with Chameleon with Friend of a Friend 157 points

Bit of an 80's vibe with those jumpers and the set, lyrics a tad confusing but a very catchy beat and the knew how to work an audience, was pleasant and tapped my foot to it.

12) Denmark's Leonora with Love is Forever 120

I would have had this higher, Denmark's first multilingual song. Not a classic but felt one of those middle Disney songs that one becomes fond of, the former ice-skater sang well, it had charm and quirk, set designer should have run by the ladder idea with the singer first as she clearly hated it as soon as she had to climb it.

13) Slovenia's Zala Kralj & Gašper Šantl with Sebi/Oneself 105

I would have had this in top ten perhaps, a gentle piece, romantic, they sold the idea they cared for each other, wonder if translated lyrics might have helped it.

14) France's Bilal Hassani "Roi" 105

Had good message, well produced with cleverly chosen backup, song wasn't memorable and neither was performance.

15) Cyprus Tamata with Chameleon with Replay 101

No Fuego, a very race outfit when sizzle might have been better left with the singer, ok song but bottom half delivery.

16) Malta's Michela Pace with Chameleon 95

I liked the opening scene by the window, song never really knitted together though I see what she was going for, enthusiastic and clearly meant a lot to her but performance wasn't good (maybe nerves? Got a contract with Sony Italy apparently who should know more then me), would be bottom half for me.

17) Serbia's Nevena Božović "Kruna/Crown" 92

Not great costume, solid song and delivery, nice enough bottom half time.

18) Albania's Jonida Maliqi with Ktheju tokës/Return to your land 90 points

Nice dress, I liked the fiery eagle, decently sung but wonder if lack of red button translated lyrics hamper serious songs like this

19) Estonia's Victor Crone "Storm" 86

Song positioning may not have been to advantage, a nice pleasant song well done and gave me a nice time, good back up singers and decent effects. Got hampered by some odd camera work

20) San Marino's Serhat with Say Na Na Na 81

The country's best placing but it could have been better, Serhat has constructed a catchy song with rhythm, find the right singer and could get people moving in seats, Serhat was not the right person for his own song.

21) Greece Katerine Duska "Better Love" 71

Their worst result when they have got to final and seemed harsh, one of those voices that is distinguish but will divide people, my sister liked and I didn't. Couldn't warm to it but far far worse songs then this one

22) Spain Miki "La venda" 60

Nice tune, great house staging, forgettable song, result a bit harsh.

23) Israel's Kobi Marimi "Home" 47.

Harsh. Extremely harsh. Not a good chorus but he sang it with great passion and well, was a nice mid-table one for me.

24) Germany's S!sters with Sisters 32

Not actually sisters, there was an idea there of sisterly conflict turning into love and fighting together but song didn't knit together and the duo of Carlotta Truman and Laurita Spinelli didn't mesh

25) Belarus Zena "Like it" 31

The youngster certainly had lots of energy but was too similar to Matla's and not as good

26) UK's Michael Rice "Bigger then Us" 16

Rice with a nervy start (lack of semi finals may not have helped), using Sweden reject song created by Lundvik and placed between Norway and Iceland in song order all contributed to a harsh placing. Bottom 5 maybe but no way did Rice deserve bottom. Forgettable song but by all accounts, Rice has been well liked backstage.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun May 19, 2019 7:01 pm

I thought it was the worst year I've watched. Gave up before Madonna got on stage. Normally there is one decent rock group but I didn't enjoy the Iceland act which was the only non-pop option.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 23, 2019 9:58 am

UK entry points were actually 11, Belarus judges had been dismantled after their first semi final results leaked out early and the sub scoring had got messed up so UK got too many points
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Juliore » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:55 pm

With strange immigration politics and Brexit was surprised to find out who buys property in Germany https://tranio.com/articles/who-buys-property-in-germany/. A lot of Brits and Chinese people seems like interested in Germany for future living or business. Would you buy property in Germany if you had an opportunity?
Juliore
Tyro

Previous

Return to Current Affairs