Total War Warhammer

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:24 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I was plying Warhammer 1 thinking the updates were over!

My mistake, I assumed you were playing the second for some reason.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:12 pm

Because your logical and have a brain. You forgot to turn it off :wink:

It is good news though for me, when I got round to 2 (ie when I convinced it has been fully updated), that sort of thing gives me reason to play the old factions on it.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Because your logical and have a brain. You forgot to turn it off :wink:

It is good news though for me, when I got round to 2 (ie when I convinced it has been fully updated), that sort of thing gives me reason to play the old factions on it.

I'm waiting for it to finish before continuing as well.

Aside from Bretonnia, game 2 has already updated Dwarfs and Vampire Counts. Dwarfs got a new unit ("Giant Slayers" who use two handed axes) and a forging mechanic, and Ungrim was moved to a new starting position in Karak Kadrin. The Vampire Counts got a ton of new stuff (new generic lords, the ability to recruit a limited number of Empire ranged units) and Kemmler was moved to the mountains near Bretonnia.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:18 pm

I'm glad, I had wondered if I would touch the old races but your giving me plenty of reasons to play them again like forging
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I'm glad, I had wondered if I would touch the old races but your giving me plenty of reasons to play them again like forging

Yeah there are multiple reasons to play as the old races in Warhammer 2, in addition to the new starting locations having interactions with the new races gives an additional spin on things.
In Warhammer 1 if you are playing as Bretonnia for example you are on the edge of the map, your western boarders are secure aside from the occasional Beastmen herd, or a chaos fleet after the End Times event triggers. Now you have rogue armies sailing the oceans which can land, Vampire Pirates invading the mainland (mainly from the south) and if you are really unlikable the High Elves may land an army or two to complicate things. The dynamic of the campaign changes with the additional factions that are now on the map.

It is worth grabbing the game, and considering that Total War games go on sale multiple times each year it isn't too expensive....aside from the multiple, multiple DLC packs which is a bit of a headache no matter what Total War you play :P
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:46 am

and if you are really unlikable the High Elves may land an army or two to complicate things.

Is that a hint? :P The tree huggers to the south are tricky enough without more coming from the west. Yes the open seas is certainly something I can see causing change of tactics and expansion plans

I do have Warhammer 2 but not yet all the DLC and I'm adopting a "wait till they do all the updates" (aka probably a bit after 3 comes out) before playing it.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:09 pm

All that said I think game 2 is having some clear power creep issues. The "Vampire Coast" race is insanely overpowered despite being a minor part of the setting in campaign with powerful faction buffs, is both a horde and a settled factions with especially high growth rate, and can get income from other faction's cities.
Edit: No more race packs for game 2, but there are Lord packs planned.
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... =t3_bdvawt
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Edit: No more race packs for game 2, but there are Lord packs planned.

You happy with that?

Starting Total War 1 Wood Elves, more brutal then I was expecting but I liked how Orion arises each year and the brutality while balance with forest. Army feels powerful but the different structure (can't confed with fellows for awhile, amber such a precious resource, outside the forest you can only have outposts) keeps that in check. Even by cautoius nature, feel this is for cautoius players who are happy not to conquer the world. With quests, the feel of it, a mini camapign, this does feel like a great expansion pack and enjoying the "one more turn" feel
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:48 pm

The Wood Elves are a lot of fun to play, however they are a really hard race for the campaign. In Warhammer 1 they have the distinct advantage of being able to colonize any territories however as they are basically outposts they are pretty much impossible to defend requiring you to field a huge amount of armies when you want to expand, which leads to the next problem of Wood Elf armies being incredibly expensive considering you only get four actual cities to fund them.

A good tactic would be a scorched earth philosophy, by razing everything you can get a huge amount of money (especially if you can raze a high level settlement) allowing you to field more armies. You can have a small force around to seed the ruins after you have wiped out a sizable amount of people ( you don't want anyone around to retake the territories)

It is really hard to fund your forces in the early campaign but once you get going you can really do a lot. Their armies are amazing in field battles and even in sieges your archers can out range defenders (not counting towers) however the lack of siege weapons (besides the rams and towers) can make taking large powerful cities rough.

Still if you can get around their weaknesses Wood Elves are a blast to play as.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:54 pm

This topic suddenly returned!

Dong Zhou wrote:
Gray Riders wrote:Edit: No more race packs for game 2, but there are Lord packs planned.

You happy with that?

Makes sense. I was hoping the Dogs of War would appear but it's no big deal and they have other games to focus on, like 3K and Warhammer 3.

Starting Total War 1 Wood Elves, more brutal then I was expecting but I liked how Orion arises each year and the brutality while balance with forest. Army feels powerful but the different structure (can't confed with fellows for awhile, amber such a precious resource, outside the forest you can only have outposts) keeps that in check. Even by cautoius nature, feel this is for cautoius players who are happy not to conquer the world. With quests, the feel of it, a mini camapign, this does feel like a great expansion pack and enjoying the "one more turn" feel

Wood Elves are a very odd but potentially very powerful army. They have good ranged, but can have success going melee heavy with the right Lord skills and units.

New DLC is Empire+Lizardmen, for those who missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKhFaijBBI

The thing that most surprised me was the Empire War Wagon shown in the trailer, which was removed from the original tabletop game a very long time ago. I always liked that thing but I never thought it would make it into the game.

Free content alongside the DLC includes is a big overhaul to the Mortal Empires map that includes Empire fortress battles (similar to the High Elf gates) and an Empire rework, replacing the court with a more interesting looking Elector Count system:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war ... beast-faq/
A preview on twitter showed that the owner of Reikland can get the famous Carroburg Greatswords as a unit.

Balthasar Gelt has been given his own subfaction, like Ungrim and Kemmler earlier; he now leads an empire faction in the southern tip of the Empire in the now-ruined province of Solland (it was destroyed long ago by a legendary Orc warboss named Gorbad Ironclaw).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven