The SOSZ's Book Club - Fire Over Luoyang

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

The SOSZ's Book Club - Fire Over Luoyang

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:06 pm

This is open to anyone who wants to take part! The aim is that we will read a book about the Three Kingdoms at the pace of a chapter a week and then discuss it here! The first book that we are going to read is Fire Over Luoyang by RDC. After we finish that book we'll have a vote on what we will read next.

Now, until Monday 4th the discussion is on the opening chapter, The Imperial Capital. Please feel free to share any observations, questions or thoughts! :D
Last edited by Sun Fin on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: The Scholars' Book Club

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:42 pm

The opening chapter is very dry. Less concerned with political history, it sets the scene, describing the geography, architecture and civil service of Luoyang. It is actually the reason I bought the book as I wanted to know more about the city itself for my novel which starts in the capital.

Potential talking points:

- The surrounding geography
- The lay out of the city
- the various roles

One thing reading it reminded me of is how much I'd love to get my hands on Bielenstein's book, Luoyang.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby XuanPin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:49 am

Is this available as a free pdf? Amazon is asking about $200 for it, which is something of an obstacle.
XuanPin
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:52 am

Sorry XuanPin, this one is only available at that price. :(

I received it for Christmas and when I mentioned that Jia Niafeng and DaoLun expressed an interest in a communal reading.

I will suggest that our next book be one that is either available online or cheap to buy!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PyroMystic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:03 am

Sun Fin wrote:The opening chapter is very dry. Less concerned with political history, it sets the scene, describing the geography, architecture and civil service of Luoyang. It is actually the reason I bought the book as I wanted to know more about the city itself for my novel which starts in the capital.

Potential talking points:

- The surrounding geography
- The lay out of the city
- the various roles

One thing reading it reminded me of is how much I'd love to get my hands on Bielenstein's book, Luoyang.
This is actually very interesting. Sadly, I do not have the book so I can't join the discussion. I will just enjoy reading what people are discussing here :mrgreen:

Also, this is off-topic but :
Sun Fin wrote:It is actually the reason I bought the book as I wanted to know more about the city itself for my novel which starts in the capital
Do you, by any chance, happen to be planning on writing a novel?
忍辱负重 ~ rěn rǔ fù zhòng
||endure humiliation, bear burden||
《三国志 · 吴书 · 陸遜传 》
PyroMystic
Initiate

Unread postby XuanPin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:22 am

Yes, Sun Fin , I too would be interested in hearing about your novel. And if you can recommend historical fantasy based on rtk.
XuanPin
Apprentice

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:37 am

Map of Luoyang from the novel; including palace positions, office locations, gates, terraces, altars and the surrounding locations. Putting this here for referance for those who'd like ease of access to it.

"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:50 am

Thanks Daolun! That map is helpful to have in front of you when reading the chapter! I really struggle picturing the Covered Way. It's described as a raised walkway that stretched the length of the city, between the palaces. Do you think it was raised enough for everyone to say it no matter where you are in the city? I also wish we knew more about the suburbs, or even where the Northern Army was based!

In terms of my novel, I've got about 30k words of a novel about the Yellow Turban campaign penned. However the project is on ice for the foreseeable future for various reasons, not the least being the lack of time to commit to it since I started at theological college.

In terms of what is out there already... The answer is not much. The Archlich of tumblr has written a novel but has so far been unable to find a publisher willing to take it. I've reviewed it for him and it is incredibly good, but our period is just to niche. That leaves self publishing and the only person I know to have done that posted about his work here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:30 pm

The novel describes it a "bridge over the city" and a "raised pathway". To me that reads like it was perhaps smaller than the city walls, but maybe higher than most buildings. The fact that it has a pavilion on the midway point certainly implies that this was a rather large bridge. The assertion that the use of the Covered Way to skip the public roads not only seems like the Imperial right to ones own private highway (as seen with the case of Cao Zhi and the Major's Gate), but also as a form of protection. So it being raised off the ground certainly makes sense. I'm unsure if that means it would be viewable from any point in the city. Perhaps the most important posts, certainly the palaces and key guard and watch points?
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:34 pm

That definition of raised makes far more sense... I wasn't picturing a bridge, rather a large mound that ran the length of the city, splitting it in half with a road at the top. A bridge makes far more sense... O how dense am I :lol:.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium