Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:42 am

Jia Nanfeng wrote:Great to see SSX as a general. :mrgreen:

Any word if that’s limited to the Romance mode?


I'm curious as to what she will look like more then I am her relatives

No word that I have heard of. I would be a little surprised if they made her romance only
User avatar
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou
 
Posts: 17251
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:11 pm

Wu trailer with glimpses of camapign map. I suspect the next twitter photo/profiles will be Wu figures

I like the trailer, Sun Jian looks decent (imagine the final clip with those around him will get speculation going), nice dramatic speech setting out situation. First glance at the map doesn't seem suited to me but we will see in time
User avatar
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou
 
Posts: 17251
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Wu trailer with glimpses of camapign map. I suspect the next twitter photo/profiles will be Wu figures

I like the trailer, Sun Jian looks decent (imagine the final clip with those around him will get speculation going), nice dramatic speech setting out situation. First glance at the map doesn't seem suited to me but we will see in time

I was in the middle of posting this, but the submit button didn't work and just booted me back to the first page. :lol:

Trailer was fine. Didn't show much new.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:36 am

Gray Riders wrote:I was in the middle of posting this, but the submit button didn't work and just booted me back to the first page. :lol:


My magical powers truly work

I'll be a bit annoyed if not picture we get is a Wei one
User avatar
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou
 
Posts: 17251
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:38 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
Gray Riders wrote:I was in the middle of posting this, but the submit button didn't work and just booted me back to the first page. :lol:


My magical powers truly work

I'll be a bit annoyed if not picture we get is a Wei one

It's Sun Jian:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1029367058440577025
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:24 am

Gray Riders wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:
Gray Riders wrote:I was in the middle of posting this, but the submit button didn't work and just booted me back to the first page. :lol:


My magical powers truly work

I'll be a bit annoyed if not picture we get is a Wei one

It's Sun Jian:
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1029367058440577025


Thanks

I like that (bar the weapon obsessions), the tiger, the charge and the tenacity. Good look as well, a mature look, I like the red hat, good armour with golden decorations that I like

7
User avatar
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou
 
Posts: 17251
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:12 pm

The embargo on footage has lifted. Here are some links:
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... m_embargo/

Live thoughts:\
*Intro is acting like Cao/Liu/Sun led the coalition.
*Sun Ren is leading troops during the Dong Zhuo coalition. Impressive for a baby.
*Spotted a "mercenary cavalry" unit, so it seems mercenaries are back.
*Jia Xu spotted in battle.
*Cavalry seems to "jump" into combat. Looks silly IMO.
*It seems ambushes now allowed he defending party to try to escape the battle rather than trying to win it.
*...I have no idea if the streamer mispronounced Zhang Liao's name, but he seemed to say Zhang Jiao shows up helping Dong Zhuo's army in a Wu set battle? :?:
*Okay, mouseover later shows it's Zhang Liao.
*Zhang Liao gets wrecked fighting Sun Ren.
*I have no idea how duels work; we now see Sun Quan beating up Xu Huang.
*Wait, I missed something this is actually a scripted Wu vs Wei battle during the Dong Zhuo coalition. This game is looking like it's not really Romance OR history.


UPDATE: So CA has responded to the general "wait what is going on" response to this battle. Here are the exact words:
Whereas our E3 demo was one of the game’s Historical Battles, with Gamescom we wanted to do something a little different. With this demo we wanted to showcase a battle as it can play out in a Total War: Three Kingdoms campaign. This demo is set 20 year after the game’s start date and the campaign flyover tells the story so far as it could play out in your game, while also tying into the Sun Quan vs Cao Cao conflict that happened around this time in history.


Edit: I'll admit I'm a bit amused at people complaining it's historically accurate while saying Yuan Shao never succeeded at anything though.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Total's War video

-Chancellor Cao Cao?

-Wasn't a fan of the narrator

*Wait, I missed something this is actually a scripted Wu vs Wei battle during the Dong Zhuo coalition. This game is looking like it's not really Romance OR history.


-I'm going to assume this scenario is less related to the game story, just trying to show certain things off within game and they haven't got Dong's faction ready or think they lack name recognition Edit: Saw your update

-I like the lanterns

-Interesting they have gone early with showing a female warrior. She looks good and they have gone for the bow princess thing it would seem which feels DW. Which I suspect will be the charge of those unhappy with having a female general outside of Wang Yi/Zhu Rong. I wonder if they seek both to appeal to those that wanted female warriors and build up for possibly a few more coming

-Why does nobody give Sun Quan a purple beard? Bit surprised by his abilities

-The formations, particularly the archer one they showed, seems good
User avatar
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou
 
Posts: 17251
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:09 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:-Interesting they have gone early with showing a female warrior. She looks good and they have gone for the bow princess thing it would seem which feels DW. Which I suspect will be the charge of those unhappy with having a female general outside of Wang Yi/Zhu Rong. I wonder if they seek both to appeal to those that wanted female warriors and build up for possibly a few more coming

I'd like to see Trieu Au in the game somehow. Don't know if the map will extend that far, though.

-Why does nobody give Sun Quan a purple beard? Bit surprised by his abilities

I think one of Koei's ROTK games gave him a bit of purple in it.

Edit:
Article from PCGamer includes information on the character classes and the new spying system.
https://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-three ... -pcgamertw
You can have loyal characters pretend to leave your faction and then spy on whomever hires them. I believe some of the older ROTK games had this option.

If the spy rises to the point where they become the heir to the enemy faction, you can trigger a civil war in their territory.

Most of the major warlords have children so this is really weird.

I suspect the AI will have trouble using this against the player. Let's be honest, if Guan Yu pops in your city not working for anyone you know exactly what's actually going on.

Edit 2: According to this video there is no naval combat. Go to 11:40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iAMMGGxePE
A seriously poor decision. This really might be a dealbreaker for me.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Probably in DLC/expansion.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
User avatar
Ranbir
For Queen and Country
 
Posts: 8547
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:27 am
Location: Your heart. <3

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved