Legend of Cao Cao Online

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Legend of Cao Cao Online

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:57 am

Just because a daily quest is there doesn't mean you have to do it.

I haven't manually run a quest in well over a month. I use expeditions to complete the Daily Mission and the top three Silver Coin Collections each day, and also auto-expedition the highest level province's quests. If I'm short on materials, I'll set the game to auto-quest other provinces while I'm doing other things and don't need my phone for a little while. Of course, I'm content with my roster and not trying to upgrade a lot of people at once, and I've got pretty large resource stockpiles of most non-paper items, so I don't vitally need to get every province's loot.

With this level of casual play, I can still do things like upgrade Yan Baihu and his gang to level 40 in order to finish his Normal and Extreme story modes for the current event. I threw them into Military Drills to level them up and went from there, and got 3000 gold out of it from the event. Worth it!
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:10 am

Right...I guess I was asking at what point I can start neglecting some of those lower level province quests. I still do a lot of upgrading at the moment so I have kept it up, it's reassuring to know that at some point down the road I might be able to cut out some of those missions.

Edit: Also I am sort of starting to get some artifacts collected. I have 2 6* swords that I picked up recently. But my armor artifacts are still just awful, I think my best armor is only like 4*.

Edit 2: Oh and! With this week's annihilation battlefield being in the water, Zhou Yu is suddenly useful again.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:51 pm

I think it was boredom with and the time sink that are daily quests that have led me to take a break from the game to be honest!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:39 pm

I know the response from the powergamers, such as they are, is to get the Infinite Energy Pass and the Infinite Fast Battle Pass to be able to send a powerful group of characters to auto-quest everything with no concern save for the rations consumed. But that's about $8 a month of real-life cost, which is something I'm not prepared to invest. ;)

I guess I'm fortunate in that I'm someone who's able to see a daily task giving rewards in a game and be able to say "I don't need to do that today". I know some people compulsively do them out of fear that they'll fall behind. In this game, you can fall behind if you don't do the missions that give permits, but now that you can Expedition them that just takes the press of a button. That's an acceptable investment on a busy day for me!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:19 pm

I always get excited when midnight game time rolls around (it's at 2 pm here and I am usually in the office) because I get to recruit and promote for a reward and execute a few other things depending on my time. But I also like that you can put the game down for a few days aside from a few quick log-ins to collect and spend stuff and not totally miss out. I do not really have hang-ups about completing everything every day, but I definitely feel like there is a point where those daily province quests in particular really bloat but the player still feels like collecting those materials is needed because of the upgrades.

I feel like the shop is pretty useless, the normal one rarely sells anything above 14 which is a big contributor to this bottleneck of sorts because those level 40s and 50s upgrades are material-intensive. I unlocked all of the obvious market and trader tech but haven't done a trader battle in ages due to its relative difficulty (probably ought to give it a crack again), and yeah the market has pretty limited selection.

I wouldn't mind tossing some money at the game actually...the few months before I stopped playing Chaos of the Three Kingdoms I was plonking down about $30 a month into it. But I was also a central figure (somehow) in our alliance and really enjoyed all of the social interaction. I don't even know how to directly message someone in LOCCO, so I am less inclined to pump money into this game.

Edit: Anywho, my point in the other post was when is a good time to lay off those earlier quests? Not how do I deal with completionist "OCD" hehe

Edit 2: Actually I have a related question. If I do the level 40 promotion but don't intend to take the hero past level 60, is the upgrading even worth the expense? I read on PLUG that some folks just get a hero up to level 80, with their comments implying that the permit-based upgrading is overlooked. I am mainly referring to the officers you level up for the stories, not your Annihilation team.

Edit 3: Does anyone else find that their phone runs a bit too hot when auto-questing? That's actually my biggest concern...
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:53 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Edit: Anywho, my point in the other post was when is a good time to lay off those earlier quests? Not how do I deal with completionist "OCD" hehe

That's really up to you. The later provinces don't really give more materials with their quests, just sometimes different/better types of materials. If you want Paper, for example, the early provinces are just as good for that. But you can only get Gold Twine and Silver Twine and such from the last provinces.

What you can do is start targeting the individual missions that give the items you want. You might not need Ore, so skip the early province missions that give it, but aim for the ones with Paper or Wood or whatever else you still actually need. That's more in-depth than I usually go, I just auto-quest provinces one at a time, but it's an option.

Edit 2: Actually I have a related question. If I do the level 40 promotion but don't intend to take the hero past level 60, is the upgrading even worth the expense? I read on PLUG that some folks just get a hero up to level 80, with their comments implying that the permit-based upgrading is overlooked. I am mainly referring to the officers you level up for the stories, not your Annihilation team.

Upgrading equipment should only be needed if you intend to take that character to the next promotion. That's mostly seen in the 60-80 range, where you can definitely level a character up to 80 for the power boost but leave their equipment at level 56 due to the permits. The cost for leveling characters only really starts to spike in the 50s, so if there's someone you're not sure on but have only leveled them up past 40 for a story, you can feel free to leave their equipment un-upgraded. There's nothing stopping you from going back and getting it later if you decide you want to promote them again, it just might mean you're sending them off to train for equipment XP when their normal XP is already capped at 60. Or you just use Jade Seals instead.

Edit 3: Does anyone else find that their phone runs a bit too hot when auto-questing? That's actually my biggest concern...

A little bit, but I don't leave it running for too long at a time. I have other games that make my phone hotter...
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:45 am

I was so excited to get my first 7* from a treasure chest! Then I open up the description and it's a weapon for catapults that counterattacks counterattacks... :roll:
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Not the best seven star, unfortunately!

So what you do for something like that, rather than give it to Liu Ye for its stats, is use Convert Artifact and turn it into a six star. If you're lucky, you might turn it into two six stars, or even straight-up into another seven star. But chances are is becomes a six star of something more useful and you can then fuse it back into a seven star (on Tuesday/Friday/Sunday if possible) to try to get something better.
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:43 am

Yeah, I played a few stages with Liu Ye's kaaaaaa-rayzy catapult and then converted it. Ended up getting the exact same 6* bow I already have - fortunately, a decent one (can decrease two stats of an enemy at random). I have a lot of archers so it's pretty handy.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:26 am

Which do you guys prioritize first? Complete the Story mode quests or Unify China ? I'm a little dilemma between those two and unlocking more handy officers for Zhao Yun's story needed some province expansion but then again needed train my commanders harder if I want to take those forts and gates.

Oh, and where would you spend your gold first? On Commander skills or unlocking officers just for story modes?
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games