SoSZ Member Libraries

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

SoSZ Member Libraries

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:15 pm

A thought came to me recently while discussing a book with Sun Fin: it would be very useful (and fun) for us SoSZ members to list the books and articles we own regarding Chinese studies!

Why is this useful?

Our hobby can be an expensive one, especially when it comes to academic textbooks or out-of-print books. These expenses are made all the more obvious when we buy an expensive book or article... only for it to contain very little information about the topic we're studying! Ouch!

By listing the resources we have on hand, other users who are interested in the book or article can verify its contents before committing to a purchase. If, for instance, someone is studying Cao Ren, and I have listed Bob's Chinese History Book as something I own, that member can ask me if the book contains any info on Cao Ren before buying it. Furthermore, is the info any good?

Or, sometimes we need just one snippet of information from a book or article but don't want to have to buy the entire thing for it. This is an especially painful position to be in when the book is impossible to find. (Avid Google Books users are familiar with this plight.) Here, a member who has it listed as a book they own could, time willing, re-type or paraphrase the bit of information.

Also it's just fun to show off your collection. :wink:

Important note: there are legal issues with sharing ebooks or articles, and the intent of this thread is not to encourage filesharing. Instead, it's one way we can help each other make good purchase decisions; and to make up for the lack of access to rare materials.

If you think this is a good idea and would like to show off your library, compile it in a post here, or type it up elsewhere (e.g. Google Docs), and I'll add a link to it in the list below!

-----

Member Libraries:

- Jia Nanfeng’s (opens in Google Sheets)
- Sun Fin’s (opens in Google Sheets)
- Yours here!

-----

Looking to expand your library? Check out Sun Fin's guide to English language resources here!
Last edited by Jia Nanfeng on Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Re: SoSZ Member Libraries

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:06 am

[Reserved post for the future that will make searching for resources easier.]
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:25 am

As Jia Nanfeng said this idea was borne out of a conversation we had about a book that Jia owns. I can't take credit, it was very much Jia's idea but I think it is a fantastic one and as soon as I get the time I will compile my own library document and post it up here! I hope others of you will do the same :D.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:30 pm

I'll do this eventually as well, I've got a nice collection of sources at my fingertips. First, this old soul has to figure out how googledocs works... it took me months to figure out tumblr.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:32 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:I'll do this eventually as well, I've got a nice collection of sources at my fingertips. First, this old soul has to figure out how googledocs works... it took me months to figure out tumblr.

Hah, that's the reason for my tardiness as well! I still haven't worked out tumblr! :lol:
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:20 pm

:lol:

Ya'll don't have to use Google if you don't want. I did because I am a nerd who enjoys making spreadsheets. Use whatever is most convenient for you!

You could post your collection here instead and I'll link directly to the post.

Or, if you want to use something like Dropbox or another cloud service, you could simply type it up in your preferred word processor and upload/share the file.

There's many options! :mrgreen:
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:55 am

I've not forgotten about this, it's still on my to do list but life has got busy and football is coming home but I will post up my library soon! :D
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pm

It’s okay!

A couple people have asked questions already. :mrgreen:

By the way I recently got a book that I love: Historical Dictionary of Medieval China. You can read more in my synopsis there but it’s a very useful source to have on hand for quick biography/term/date lookups.
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:17 pm

I've just had a proper browse through your library and added In Search of the Supernatural: the Written Record, Legends of the Warring States: Persuasions, Romances, and Stories from Chan-kuo Ts'e and Shih-Shuo Hsin-Yü: A New Account of Tales of the World to my wants list.

I have also ordered Military Culture in Imperial China which contains articles from historians such as Rafe, Loewe and Sawyer which I'm looking forward to digging into!

Also considering your interest in Women from the era I'm amazed you haven't got Empresses and Consorts! It seems right up your alley. I got my copy for £9 so it is pretty affordable as 3K books go!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:29 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Also considering your interest in Women from the era I'm amazed you haven't got Empresses and Consorts! It seems right up your alley. I got my copy for £9 so it is pretty affordable as 3K books go!

Yeah, I know... :lol: I often ask myself why I don't have it yet either. It's #1 on my buylist, I'm just waiting for an impulse-buy day to hit me.

And happy to hear you found some books that interest you. Crump is probably my favorite scholar. :mrgreen: Good luck finding In Search of the Supernatural! It's sadly quite rare; I originally only had access to a local library's copy because I couldn't find it for years until one day I randomly came across it being sold by a German bookstore and had it shipped here. :mrgreen:
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy