Soccer teams?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

What soccer team do you support (if any)

Arsenal
13%
Manchester Utd
17%
Chelsea
7%
Liverpool
9%
AC Milllan
7%
Juventus
2%
Inter Millan
5%
Bayern Munich
3%
Other
37%

Total votes : 119

Re: Soccer teams?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 17, 2018 8:54 am

Thoughts on the England squad?

Seems like too many fullbacks, might have taken one more central midfielder instead. Bit of a lack of creativity particularly in midfield, inexperienced keepers and not enamoured by our leftback options but not too bad a squad.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu May 17, 2018 9:48 am

I'm pleased with out goalkeepers. Hart has just been woeful this season.

I agree on the fullback front, I guess the plan is for Walker to play at CB and Delph provides CM cover? But as you say I'd rather we'd taken an extra CM - either Wilshere or Shelvey. Neither of whom are perfect but they bring a bit of spark that the rest of our CMs lack.

Who would you have taken at LB? Young and Delph have both had good seasons in that position for the two best clubs in England (according to the premier league table anyway) whilst Rose is probably our best player in that position despite not playing much recently. Shaw at United hasn't had the opportunities so and Southampton have had a woeful season which I suspect counted against Bertrand. Creswell might have been a good pick though, especially as he can also slot in as an extra CB in a 3 man defense!

All in all I'm reasonably happy about our squad. I'm finding it difficult to get excited about our team in the world cup. Far more excited for the event in general then to see England play.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat May 19, 2018 7:27 am

My issue isn't who we took at leftback (though Rose doesn't seem to have played enough to go), more I don't think we have any real quality there, not ones that have actually been playing though
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat May 19, 2018 7:52 am

Yeah, fair enough! I think Rose is our best LB and is pretty good. It's just, as we've both noted already, he hasn't been playing enough this season.

What do you think to the persistent rumour that Arteta will be our new manager?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun May 20, 2018 11:16 am

It does seem like Arsenal have run a good process from what I have heard and are overhauling the staff. In terms of Arteta? One worries there is an element of the cheap or bold for sake of boldness options here, the man has never managed a club. I assume given how he is regarded with the game, he has a lot of potential but it is going to be a very steep learning curve for him and I'm wary about it.

You?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon May 21, 2018 3:21 pm

I agree with all you've said. Personally if we were going to take a risk on a former player I'd have rather we were going for Vieira or Van Bronckhorst, both of whom have seen some success as a manager, albeit in a minor league!

The latest rumour this morning is that we will sign Emery and Arteta will be his no. 2 with the prospect of taking full control in a few years. I'd be surprised if Arteta will go for that though as one would presume that might be Man City's stance as well.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue May 22, 2018 11:57 am

Press seem certain it is Emery. I get the sense media and fans reaction is... mixed due to his spell in PSG but I'm hoping the players will be lifted by the detail, he knows the DOF system and is good with young players. Not excited but seems a solid choice

With Arteta, I doubt he wants to join us after how shabbily the board just treated him and City's connections mean they could help get a management job in future
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed May 23, 2018 12:40 pm

I'm pretty happy with Emery. I'm glad we've gone for a man with some experience. He didn't live up to expectations at PSG but I think Arsenal's style and philosophy will be a better fit for him. Still we won't really know whether his been a good choice for several months!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed May 30, 2018 12:50 pm

I did think we would manage to get to the world cup before one of the media engaged in racially motivated attacks on one of our players. Nothing is too soon for the Sun apparently
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed May 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Poor, Sterling, the reporting has been terrible. Our media does like to undermine the team morale :roll:
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven