Essay Topic for 7th and 8th graders

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Essay Topic for 7th and 8th graders

Unread postby hbkfan01 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:04 am

Hey everybody. I am a teacher that is teaching an elective class: East Asian Culture. We recently just got done reading a few chapters from Romance of the Three Kingdoms and I want the students to do a short, 5 paragraph essay on a character from the period of the Three Kingdoms. Here is how I am going to structure it. Any feedback or help would be AWESOME!

Introduction: Basic introduction of their character
Body 1: Describe the life of their character from early on to their death
Body 2: If they were a soldier/general, what battles did they fight/partake in? Were they part of any special groups (The Five Tiger Generals etc, etc)
Body 2: if they were an domestic or political officer, what were their accomplishments?
Body 3: What are the historical inaccuracies that the character has? Differences from the video games, novel to real, historical evidence.
Body 4: After reading about this person, what is your opinion on him/her? Did anything surprise you? Why?
Conclusion: Wrap everything up.

Again, any other topics or things that could make this essay/project better would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Kyle
hbkfan01
Tyro

Re: Essay Topic for 7th and 8th graders

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am

Welcome Kyle! First of all I have to say I’m very jealous of the children in your class to have a teacher like you! I wish I’d have had an opportunity to study the Three Kingdoms in such an organised way at school!

I’m a Brit so not familiar with the ‘Grade’ system, how old are the children in question – I’m presuming that they’re based in the USA?

In terms of groups mentioned in the novel I believe the Five Tiger Generals are the only ones mentioned. Other groups are fictional or based on their SGZ grouping!

This brings me on to my main point, how are you expecting them to know about the history? Are you going to limit what officers they can chose from? If it was me I would say they could only pick officers who have a translated SGZ biography and then either give them the list on our main website or xuesanguo’s ones!

Other than that, it sounds great!
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy