Favorite Musical?

The place to hang out with your fellow scholars, have a drink, share a laugh and enjoy each other's company.

Re: Favorite Musical?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:51 am

Jia Nanfeng wrote:I admittedly have only seen one musical in my life: Oklahoma. (Which I loved, btw.)

I feel uncultured!

That’s about to change though. I have tickets to see Kinky Boots in a couple weeks. I’ll make sure to write my impressions. :)

In terms of actually seeing a musical live, once when young. Joseph and his multicolour dreamcoat. Most of mine are films or recorded for TV productions (ditto Shakespeare plays). Mostly cost but also personal preference (and other issues) so I wouldn't worry about feeling uncultured

Hope Kinky Boots goes well, look forward to hearing your thoughts
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:04 am

I'm very fortunate that my parents and school encouraged me to see a lot of live theater, an opportunity I took with both hands. I loved Joseph, the first time I saw it H, formerly of boy group Steps, was playing the titular role and it was amazing. I think that was the first musical I saw.

I'm yet to see Kinky Boots but my mother went to see it a few years ago. She loved it but said she blushed in a few places! :lol:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:16 pm

Oh, if we count musical movies, I've seen a bunch more than just 2. :lol:

I saw Kinky Boots on stage last night! What a great show! I don't think I stopped smiling the entire time.

It had a great message of accepting people for who they are, without being heavy-handed or preachy about it. I feel like that's the best way to approach issues like these (in case anyone doesn't know, Kinky Boots is about drag queens and gender expression, and indeed half the cast are drag queens).

Outside of the overall friendly feel and message, it's also downright hilarious. The audience was sometimes laughing so loud that I missed out on dialogue. :P

Musically, there's some really catchy tunes and lyrics, but that's to be somewhat expected considering Cyndi Lauper wrote the songs. Any song that featured the Angels is particularly memorable.

As far as blushing, as Sun Fin mentioned, I can completely understand why people might. :lol: The dialogue is overall "PG" except for a couple more risqué lines and a few slurs, but the drag queens can be... quite scantily clad at times! One instance in particular involves a tiny bikini and my mom about had a heart attack (in a good way). Many hoots and hollers for these fierce girls all around. :P I can totally see some people having their sense of attraction challenged. (It happened to me too. :oops: )

And just how the heck do these girls perform so expertly in high heels?! Some of them were doing flips!! :shock:

Outside of the show, there was also a highlight from intermission, as I watched all the older folk around me read the cast list to confirm the girls are really played by boys. The gasps of shock and surprise were worth the price of admission alone. :lol:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:02 pm

The closest experience I've had to that was Miss Saigon. In the opening scene there are women pole dancing on either side of the stage, scantily dressed too. Then the same thing happens in the opening number of the second half. Only part way through I realised that they were men dressed as women. I was blushing profusely through both songs. I love musicals and thoroughly enjoyed the show but am the first to admit I'm a bit of a prude and so it was a step out of my comfort zone! :lol:
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:50 am

I have watched the Rocky Horror show a few times in the safety of my home so I'm used to that feeling :P Glad you had a great time Jia Nanfeng
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun May 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Watched La La Land which was a critical hit at the time. Technically I see why, it has colourful and impressive visuals, the dancing is impressive, it reflects a mirror on Hollywood, it has a notable cast, some clever use of certain music as a theme. Yet I didn't love it, I liked the songs well enough within the context of the film, I liked Emma Stone's Mia and she provided a fair bit of charm but I never warmed to Ryan Gosling's Sebastian, even when the character grew a brain after spending so long being an arrogant idiot, or them as a couple. I found that as film went on, I would occasionally find myself wondering if I should turn it off then be pulled back in by something like a moment or a piece of music. Overall I had a nice enough time but it wasn't for me
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:47 pm

My wife and I did something we've never done before... left a West End musical at the break.

Our decision was aiding by the fact our under ground line was closing at 10 PM but even so we just weren't enjoying 42nd Street. There were no particularly strong singers, nor did any song jump out at us. The story-line itself was alright but whenever it went into the show within the show I just lost interest. The only really strong part was the tap dancing, an art form I know next to little about and not enough to properly appreciate. It isn't one I would recommend but if you do enjoy tap dancing then perhaps it is for you!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Sorry that musical didn't work out and your money was wasted, hope next one goes a lot better
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to The Pub