Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Discussion of other Three Kingdoms games (e.g. Destiny of an Emperor and Dynasty Tactics) and other games by Koei (e.g. Samurai Warriors).

Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms Discussion Thread

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:21 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:I never liked sieges on the Medieval games either so i'm not optimistic about them on this one.

Yeah sieges have usually been the series' weak point. Warhammer I just combined them being particularly bad with less field battles then previous games because the AI was incredibly cautious and avoided them like the plague if they looked remotely even. Part II did fix that--the AI attacks you in the field a lot more though a few factions still seem to love turtling up.

Is that why on occasion the AI won't move against me when I am besieging them? On some occasion I will have a similar sized army and they just won't move against me. So I would simply wait until attrition broke them down then steamrolled them. It would have been tougher if they just attacked sooner.

The FAQ they released didn't give much information. The only even quasi useful bit of info was them confirming that the map will be very big. Otherwise we will just have to wait before we learn anything useful.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:29 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Is that why on occasion the AI won't move against me when I am besieging them? On some occasion I will have a similar sized army and they just won't move against me. So I would simply wait until attrition broke them down then steamrolled them. It would have been tougher if they just attacked sooner.

I'm not sure if you mean the first or second Warhammer, but the AI seems to hate sortieing, prefering to bring in a reinforcement army...even if one does not exist. Starve them out works well, though in game 1 it takes so long you're asking for the Chaos Invasion to appear if you rely on it, but in game 2 Chaos is triggered by growing too large instead of the timer so that's not a concern.

The FAQ they released didn't give much information. The only even quasi useful bit of info was them confirming that the map will be very big. Otherwise we will just have to wait before we learn anything useful.

I'm hoping we get news on playable factions pretty soon. There are a lot of figures who'd be fun to play as but also strike me as quite likely to be non-playable like the Yuans and Liu Biao.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:43 pm

I have mainly been playing the second game lately and as Britonia I starved out a dwarven army who probably would have beaten me if they attacked. Sometimes they do move out but sometimes they just sit there for no reason.

As for playable characters in the upcoming game, I can see Liu Biao being skipped but I think Yuan Shao has a good chance of making the roster as the leader of the coalition. Yuan Shu might not make it in, perhaps as DLC :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:41 pm

Good to know about the eras thing. I havent played ME in over a decade so I've basically forgotten everything about it.

I have over 400 hours across all of the TW games (I own them all + dlc) and this is probably the most excited I've been for a title. Gonna be very interesting though. Been mostly focusing on the multiplayer aspects of TWW2 (Top 800 in the leaderboards) but that's because I really enjoy the multitude of armies I can play against. I probably wont have as much success if the battles will be more tactical between similar armies instead of being able to outpick enemy compositions.

Im kind of hoping for a more historical game than a romanticiszed. Even though seeing a Guan Yu unit dynasty warriors himself across the battlefield, I just dont think it'll balance well.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:35 am

Sun Jian may have been spotted in the trailer.
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... e_trailer/
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:00 am

I was really hoping some mook would be highlighted. :lol:
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:25 pm

I liked the trailer, I have played a few Total War games in my time and very much enjoying the Warhammer franchise (the generals stories and fantasy races give it something for me), so delighted at this. Doubt this will change anything for DW though extra publicity for three kingdoms might help it but it could do something with RTK games. Which I admit I have only really played 8 and that was due to ability to control a character within a kingdom which I loved

Hopefully they'll drop some hints about details like hero units in the next few months! Does anyone else feel that between this and the new look Dynasty Warrior game this is a chance for another 3K online community resurgence?

I would expect that as well

*How will they handle the general system? Will people like Song Xian be in the game or just the rulers and a few of their more notable generals with a bunch of randomly named generics?
*What rulers will be playable from the start and which will be DLC? Total War seems to have long ago given up on letting you play as everyone on the map.
*Will it be okay to pursue Lu Bu?
Edit: And why isn't he riding Red Hare?

I assume it will be a few big names with quests and I assume. So Xiahou Dun would be with quest and, say, a Cao Chong just be one of those generic generals Cao Cao can hire.

I'm assuming the three or so factions we saw in trailer will be free, one or two more also at start (Yuan's for example, would expect Wu), rest DLC.

I was disappointed with Lu Bu, his model lacks a certain oomph.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:24 am

I'm sad that DLC is a given. I guess it shows little I play games these days that I haven't played a game where I've paid for DLC.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zkuq » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:08 pm

This is excellent news. I love both Total War and Three Kingdoms, and I've been waiting for this forever, never really expecting it to happen. I just hope (and believe) that they are going the historical route despite the wishes and predictions of some - there are already lots of less historical games on Three Kingdoms but none (as far as I know) that are as historical as Total War games usually are.
Zkuq
Tyro

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:33 pm

I haven't played a Total War game before. What should I expect? Looks like RTS just at a glance, although I've read it's "turn-based strategy and real-time tactical battles".
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to Other Three Kingdoms and Koei Games